3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny Strings=Less Forgiving?  (Read 453 times)

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinny Strings=Less Forgiving?
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
I was just talking to an old archer who I met and he was saying that skinnier strings are less forgiving because they oscillate more after the release or something like that.

Any opinions, thoughts, or observations about that idea?

I have been trying to move towards more skinny strings(SBDs) with all my bows but I don't have the best form and release, maybe I shouldn't be going to the skinny strings...

thanks

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny Strings=Less Forgiving?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
I switched a few years ago and still go back and forth depending on what I have available...............no difference in forgiveness as far as I can see.
I don't have near perfect form.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
How can a string be considered less forgiving from osscillating more after the shot?  The arrow is gone.  The string can flop all over the place and not matter at all. What a string does after the shot has nothing to do with "forgiveness" of a bow / string system.

Fast flight materials are far stronger than B-50 material.  That also translates to being stiffer which by itself translates to less string movement after the arrow is gone.  Fast flight strings transfer more of the bows energy to the arrow and less to the limbs than an equal string count B-50 string.  This decreases string movement after the arrow leaves the string as well.  

The gentlemans comment is quite simply not correct.  

I would shoot the string you like and not worry about it anymore.  Focus on improving your form.  Good form trumps equipment by about 10 to 1.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
I was just talking to an old archer who I met and he was saying that skinnier strings are less forgiving because they oscillate more after the release or something like that.

actually that's bass ackwards....a skinny string has less oscillation.

and how smooth you get off the string has more to do with your serving and style.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
i like the SBD 6 strand alot. cant say i release any better between that and the dracon string i had. but the after shot feel is great. no shock and much for quiet
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 02:42:00 AM »
Ilove my skinny strings.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:59:00 AM »
I found the opposite to be true.  I shoot B50 on many of my bows and have found I need a higher brace than when using my skinny D97's or the bow will be touchy.  That makes sense when you consider the extra give in the Dacron will allow it to stay in contact with the nock longer.

Dave

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
re: "skinnier strings are less forgiving because they oscillate more after the release"

total self-gratifying nonsense.  

low strand count strings (8 strands of hmpe or less) are lighter in mass weight, a teeny bit faster due to that lowered weight, and may be quieter on the release for you, as compared to strings with 50% more strands.

8 strands of most any brand/type of hmpe will render a string in the 800# tensile strength range (or more) and therefor is way more than safe for most any stick bow.  whereas 8 strands of dacron will be less than 400# tensile strength, and why that string material can't be used for "skinny strings".
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
can an 8 strand string be used on a 65# bow?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
can an 8 strand string be used on a 65# bow?
heck, it can be used on an 80# bow - that's ten times the bow's rated holding weight.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
When why don't people go lower then 6 strands or do they?  as you can tell i'm new and intrested in these skinny strings....
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blaino:
When why don't people go lower then 6 strands or do they?  as you can tell i'm new and intrested in these skinny strings....
durability and longevity in the field.  

8 strands is a good compromise.  

comparatively, you'd need more than 16 strands of polyester (dacron) to equal 8 strands of polyethylene (hmpe = dynaflight, ff, astroflight, etc).

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
When I hear "Old Timer" and skinny string. My first thought is I wonder if he has ever even had a skinny string or if he is holding onto what he has known forever. Did you actually ask him if he had ever had one?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Good question TJ.

I absolutely love my 8 strand D10 strings. Not to brag, but I have won every 3d shoot that I have entered in the past 2 years except one. I finished 3rd in that one. The 2 guys that beat me are both wearing IBO World Champ belt buckles this year!

I have also made quick, clean kills on all of the deer that I have shot at this year.

I would not shoot a skinny string if I thought that it was costing my anything.

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by FarmerMarley:

Any opinions, thoughts, or observations about that idea?

I have been trying to move towards more skinny strings(SBDs) with all my bows but I don't have the best form and release, maybe I shouldn't be going to the skinny strings...

thanks
What the string does after the arrow leaves the string has little effect on the accuracy of the shot..
That said, I have yet to prove the worth of a skinny string...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Im not sure why, but I definitely seem to shoot more inconsistently with skinny strings. I shoot better with a 12-14 strand string than I do with an 8 strand.
BCD

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
a dacron string and a fast flight string used on the same bow will require different brace heights.  The lower stretch and faster response time of the FF string means that arrows you shot with the dacron string will act weak when shot from a FF string.  More energy is released into the shaft of your arrow, effectively weakening it. This means you will have to adjust your brace height to get the arrows to fly properly.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
LOL, first thing that came to mind is "old wives tales"...guess we can add archers to that.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I have tried the 8 strand string on my newest static tip recurve I built and am very pleased in the quietness and performance. I have a 25 " draw and have a low 61/2" brace on my bow and it is very quiet and quite fast at my short draw. Skinny has my vote   :goldtooth:

Chort

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
I've been using a "skinny" string now for years and love it. My first thought after reading a post like this is I wonder how well the archer knows about tuning a bow and arrow. Going to a HP string requires a stiffer arrow spine. So if you arrow spine was correct before it's weak now and if your arrow spine was border line before it's severly underspined now. Throw in a less that perfect release and you've got problems that get blamed on the change of a HP string.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©