3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: deer stolen  (Read 754 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: deer stolen
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I feel for you I have lost two to bear and one to yotes. Only one was left over night.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Okay obviously I’m missing something…

You saw the doe “drop” in the field behind your house so you went inside to build arrows? If the doe is dead and you know it, why wouldn’t you go and retrieve the doe? Is the field behind your house your property or do you need to get permission to gain access to the field?

You wrote that you found “blood and drag marks” did you follow the trail? Where did the trail lead to?

Then you wrote “guess the coyotes were more attentive than i this time.”  Are you guessing or do you know? Does this mean you found the carcass?

This whole thread doesn’t make sense. What was the point of starting this thread?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
The thread title is "deer stolen"  not deer scavenged. I don't think the author is actually blaming coyotes in the least. Coyotes don't steal, everthing they eat belongs to them. People steal though. I had a deer stolen by "yotes". They drove a truck right around back of the cabin in Indian lake, ny and neatly untied it from the porch rafters and disappeared into the wild. They have seriously evolved.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
I've seen a lot of coyote kills,deer and antelope and never seen one drug except once reduced to almost a skeleton.

If you have bears and they are still out,which very well may be in that neck of the woods,I would suspect that or people.If it is a bear,you can find the remains.He will make a beeline for the nearest cover where he feels safe.The remains will be there.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
:mad:    :mad:    :mad:  sounds like it is time to bust some song dogs!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
We have a lot of bears on our place, lost a 50 lb wild hog to a bear a couple of years ago..it was cold out and early morning so I stayed in stand another hour so not to goof up Helens hunt..bear picked up hog and walked off with it..now I track and recover asap.. we also have panthers..hogs also eat deer,thats also happened to me

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
I can't imagine shooting,watching the animal fall, then walking away thinking I will attend to it later.Doesn't make any sense to me unless there is more to the story.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I have seen on the TV hunting shows many times where the hunter in an evening hunt decides to look for the deer the next day since he feels the shot was questionable.

That's find and dandy if you live in an area where there are no coyotes or cats.

In south Texas you got to go look for the deer that evening because if you don't the coyote will.
You have no choice in South Texas you must look for your deer now.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
If I see a deer fall, i don't wait.  I just go get them.  I have had some yotes eat on a carcass or two when the recovery took a couple of hours, but you will at least find a skeleton or hair.  If it was completely gone, I would suspect people.  

Not trying to brow beat, but next time, get it when it hits the ground.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
I had a buck stolen by a human once.  I get to see the rack everyday when I drop my son off at the bus.  Just sitting on top of an old camper in the guys yard.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Brian

Sorry to hear about your deer.  

I think when things don't go perfectly, it is human nature to look back and try to figure out what went wrong.  This is how man has evolved.  Figuring out how to do thing different next time to alter the outcome.

I think many here are trying to offer up ideas and scenarios that may benefit you, me, and themselves in the future.

Keep heading out into those woods.  Keep making those great shots.  And, like I plan to do, keep what happened to you this time fresh in your mind so next time maybe the outcome is different.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Izzy,that last post was a good one. "coyotes don't steal,everything they eat belongs to them"
That...is an awesome analogy! How true it is.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Go see your neighbor.  Perhaps someone came across it lying there, not knowing who shot it or if they were coming back and decided to take it home.  May have been no ill intent involved.  

If it is a neighbor and they've already cleaned it - let them keep it.  At least you'll have clarity.

On second thought, do the above AFTER you go back to the site and see the tracks of whatever drug the deer off.  Nothing moves a deer out of a field without leaving a trail.  I don't believe coyotes would/could drag off a mature doe that quick.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I've lost 3 deer over the years to coyotes! But I was told by my farmer friend that some other hunters XBOWERS had bloodtrailed a deer only to find a hughe BEAR laying on top of the dead deer (like a rug) and when they tryed to scare the bear  it stood up on it's back feet  :scared:    :scared:   and was much  taller than them!!! they then very very carefully backed out of the area before cleaning out   :biglaugh:  thier shorts LOL  :archer2:        BEARS 1 >>>---> XBOWERS 0
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Some monster coyotes in your neck of the woods.  ;)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline mmilinovich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
C'mon, Brian.  Don't let us hanging.  Questions were raised.  Only you know the answers . . .

Mark

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
I too would like to hear a follow up with the many questions that others have raised. Until then all I can say is...odd.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
I had 2 legged yotes steal a deer I killed. Guess they needed it more than I did.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I think it was E Donnel T that said "It's not meat until it's in the freezer!"  Or on the plate...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
and the drag marks went where?  Not to hard to follow drag marks many times with the blood, hair, and toe drag marks.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©