3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill bow questions  (Read 591 times)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill bow questions
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
OK I've been bitten by the Hill bug and the Hill Thread is not helping at all.  I sold my Mathews and looking to get my 1st longbow.  I've read "Hunting the hard way"  and really love all the Hill bow pics posted here.  My questions are what should I look for in a new longbow especially a Hill bow?  I shoot a 50# recurve but heard the longer longbows I can shoot higher poundage easier and thinking about 55 or 60#.  Also any links or books to read up on hill bow shooting technique would be great!
jay
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill bow questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Jay-

If you've been shooting 50#'s comfortably, I would stick with it for your first Hill bow. Later, if you want to move up in poundage, I would consider it then. I do all my hunting and 3-D shooting with a 50# Hill bow.

I shoot 68" bow and my draw is 27 3/4", if your draw is shorter you could go with 66", if your draw is pass 29" go with a 70" bow.

I always go with bamboo limbs because I like the way they preform especially the carmelized bamboo, but it would be your preference if you want something different.

I believe it's in Hunting the Hardway that there's a section that Howard talks about his technique. The best way to describe how to hold the handle is heal down with more pressure coming from the ring finger and little finger as it's wrapped around the grip.

Join us on the Hill thread.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Pulling a 50# recurve may actually feel easier than a Hill of the same weight because of the design. I wouldn't try heavier unless you were going that way already. Some curves end at 2#/inch and hills are usually about 3 I believe.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
My personal opinion is that considering any different "shooting technique" for a Hill style bow is a mistake. The only difference you should notice from your recurve is the grip shape which will require a lower grip involving the heel of your hand more when gripping the bow. I shoot Dan Toelke Super Ds a majority of the time and find something very special about the feel of the D bow at the shot. Mine are 64" bows and they easily accomodate my 29" draw and at 2 or 3 pounds heavier draw weight they will shoot the same speed as my d/r Whips. They are more than any of my bows "even quieter than they are fast".

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
G F Asbells book(s) have a good longbow section, but there are really quite a few. Hill, Byron ferguson, Schultz, and others teach form.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Listen to the guys above....don't go heavier just yet! Try one at 45-50 and see if it's your cup of tea!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
if you have no problem with 50# then by all means get your first hill or hill style longbow at that holding weight.  these are not r/d longbows and the limb design will be backset, straight or bellyset (string follow).  

now here's the real important part - make sure the length of the bow is in proportion to your exact draw length.  if you do this correctly, your new 50# classic american flat longbow will not only feel as smooth as yer recurve, it may feel smoother yet.  click on the first link in my sig line to read lots more about that ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I have a 26" draw so 64" bow would be plenty for a smooth draw.  I'm not too worried about the weight.  I have read Asbells section on longbows as well for reference.  More curious of the backset like Rob mentioned.

Probably going to wait for a good price on a used one to save $.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Jay,
your sig. line says you have a 45# @28" bow..that would be around 40# at a 26" draw...jumping up to 50# @ 26" would be plenty of 'jump'. Most guys switching from recurve to longbow will shorten their draw a little due to hand position, and that could only be 1/4" or maybe 1 1/2" depending...  So I think a 64 - 66" bow would be creamy smooth for you, no matter if it's straight, backset, or string follow.

your hand size is critical for good handle fit...make sure you know the handle length and depth of any bows you are looking at for best fit...i.e.  Guys with a palm width under 4" will find a handle of around 4" long to be a good fit.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
For a Hill bow with fiberglass, you take 60" and add in the last number of your draw  length. So, 60" + 6"  for your 26" draw puts you at 66" bow. You "can" pull a 64" "all bamboo," non-glass bow, with a 12" riser, out to 26."  
 That same length in a glass bow, 64", with a typical 14" riser won't be nearly as smooth out to 26". Can it be done, of course, and with a 50# bow you probably will just pull right through the stack, but for your 26" draw the 66" is the way to go.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
with pretty much all stick bows, and Definitely with the hill style afl's, longer is always smoother if not better.   :)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
I need to update my signature.  Last year I put Black Maxx limbs on my GM so I'm pulling 50, 51 lbs at 26 now.  Thanks again for the input on length.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Longer will feel better.  I'm at 28inch Hills are all 70inch.  Smoooooth!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
Rob is right on with the longer is usually better view.  Also, riser length will play a role.  A shorter riser with an even D bend will allow a bit shorter length.

I make mine with 17 or 18 inch risers and either flat or with a slight back set.  Even at 66", they will not stack out to 32" of draw.  The ones with back set, while slight, is a bit progressive which does not allow the tips to get too whip ended in the bend.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
what would be best for a new longbow shooter? dished or locator grip? Of course I will try to shoot some before buying but all the great pics online is killing me LOL

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jayb:
what would be best for a new longbow shooter? dished or locator grip? Of course I will try to shoot some before buying but all the great pics online is killing me LOL
only you can tell, not me or those guys over there.  ;)

i understand yer enthusiasm, but if you can't try before you buy, yer gambling.  and you know what that means ....

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Rob's right.....get a bow in your hands.  one thing about the Hill bows....in your weight range you can find used ones pretty often, but until you find the right fit, you'll be paying shipping charges.... :)

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I know i should try out first and thanks for the advice.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
There are LOTS of Hill-style longbow shooters in Tejas JB!

You will have no trouble checking out longbows and various grips if you go to a trad shoot.

It will probably cost you less to drive and check it out than the shipping on a longbow....

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
My first hill bow was ordered for me bybob wesley when I. Attended his school. He determined my draw to be 27 1/2 and he ordered a 70 lnch bow .l don't remember his exact words why. But I think it was çertainly because it would ßhoot the best for me,.bobs bows were as long also and he drew 28 .any loss in speed is trumped by.all the other qualities we shoot hill bows for someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©