3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill bow questions  (Read 592 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill bow questions
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
I agree, Flynn. 70" bows seem to work best for me, too. I only draw about 28.5". After awhile, a 70" bow doesn't seem overly long.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
For the standard Hill tillering on the relex models for my 26 plus draw I prefer the 66" length, I would be tempted to say that I would prefer 64" in the string follow from the few shots I have taken with a string follow Hill that was 66" long.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jayb:
what would be best for a new longbow shooter? dished or locator grip? Of course I will try to shoot some before buying but all the great pics online is killing me LOL
aside from bow length and holding weight, there's not much else that's "best" about bows for YOU, least of which is the handle/grip, which is a very personal thing.  consider your hand size and how you will hold the bow.  if you wish to do the hill-bow-hold-thing with a full hand/palm grip, make sure the handle will accommodate YOUR hand.  not much else to say 'cept try before you buy, and even then, over time, you will more than likely make changes to both bow and arrows, let alone form changes.  welcome to trad!  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
For me, I can't have a bow that is really too long.  As long as I can get it in the truck - I'll call it good!  My Hills are all 70 inches, I draw 28.  I've always thought that if folks really had to feed themselves with a bow - there would be more longer bows.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Not to hight jack the thread, but what is the best Hill style bow maker today? Are HH the best?

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
Some great advice given. Best to have one in your hands, only you can determine what feels right.

For me it was a 70" dished grip, I draw 29".
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
My first hill bow was ordered for me bybob wesley when I. Attended his school. He determined my draw to be 27 1/2 and he ordered a 70 lnch bow .l don't remember his exact words why. But I think it was çertainly because it would ßhoot the best for me,.bobs bows were as long also and he drew 28 .any loss in speed is trumped by.all the other qualities we shoot hill bows for someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
Not to hight jack the thread, but what is the best Hill style bow maker today? Are HH the best?
there is NO "BEST".  never has been, never will be.  there are oodles of current hill style bowyers and each is capable of creating an extremely good shooting afl (american flat longbow).  however, if you want that howard hill name on yer longbow, you'll need to go with a howard hill.  

again, none are "BEST".  there is no such thing.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Ditto what Rob said--there is no "best".  I own several "Hill style" longbows by different makers (at least six different bowyers) and they are all fine shooters.  We are blessed to have so many fine choices.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
While there is no best, there are differences between makers and  there are differences from bow to bow even with the same maker.  The best bow is the one that I like the most, depending what day it is and what the barometer is..

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
I have 2 sunset hill bows that are 66 long and thay are string follow. Very nice shooting bows. So string follow dicctates differrent considerations for drawlength and bowlength which nate has worked out for his bows. I draw 27.5.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
your hand size is critical for good handle fit...make sure you know the handle length and depth of any bows you are looking at for best fit...i.e. Guys with a palm width under 4" will find a handle of around 4" long to be a good fit.

Nate,
This is something,that i think is often overlooked in discusion of this style shooting.I think it warrants further explanation,if you would please.I know some like myself,who have small hands,have issues,with grips too big.What would your oppinion be as to proper grip to hand size and how you determine it?
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
wallace mountain longbows are top of the line. Longbow master.com

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
TTT
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Back up in hopes of Nate seeing it.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
other site sunset hill archives
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Traxx,

when I make a bow for someone,  I get their hand tracing and size the handle accordingly.  Alot of Hillstyle longbow bowyers make 'standard' sized grips and you hope they fit you. I like to see the handle long enough so that the heel of the hand doesn't overlap the bottom of the grip, that's a no no.  Also, I like to see the knuckles spaced correctly on the backside of the grip and you have to shape the back of the grip to fit the finger size.  Done correctly, the handle grip will melt into your hand and you can control the bow very easily.  If the grip doesn't fit, you will have problems shooting the bow.  Fortunately, most bowyers will remake handles to fit your hand.  I just like to save a step and fit the handle the first time.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
IF you ascribe to the full palm, heel down "howard hill" grip on a classic afl bow handle, then for sure a custom tailored handle is essential.  for the rest of us, it doesn't much matter at all since the bow hand's palm touches only air.   :)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Well, I am certainly no expert on Hill-style bows. I've only had my Shelton for a few days, and it is the first straight grip bow I've had since the little lemon wood recurve I got when I was 8 years old. I can make some observations, however.

I have been shooting my other bows with a grip much like Rob describes with some success. When I got the Shelton, I first tried the low wrist "Howard Hill" grip. Then I experimented with the "Rob DeStefano" grip that I had been using.

For me and my bow, the Hill grip just works a lot better. I am much more consistent and groups are much smaller. I have also noticed that the bow is WAY quieter when using the low wrist grip. Don't ask me why, it just is. Old habits die hard, so I still catch myself raising my palm at times. I usually hear it first, but my shots also seem to wander off target a bit. The bow is pretty forgiving, so the hits aren't way off...just off.

When I use the Howard Hill form, this bow is almost magical. The arrows seem to guide themselves to the center of the target, no matter if it is 10, 15 or 20 yards. I haven't tried much longer ranges as I am still tweaking and tuning. This morning I reserved my string as the serving that came on the string was too fat for my nocks. I also experimented with nock point below the arrow nock. Much to my surprise, it is easier to nock an arrow from a back quiver that way. I'm not sure it made a great difference in terms of accuracy, but it didn't hurt it either.

I'm not saying Rob is wrong. I'm just saying it looks like, for me, the low wrist grip is going to work better. Don't be afraid to experiment until you find what works for YOU.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »