3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Poundage ponderings...Your thoughts?  (Read 824 times)

Offline NotThe10thMan

• Trad Bowhunter
Poundage ponderings...Your thoughts?
« on: December 07, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Against my better judgement, I'm comptemplating my next bow.  It'll be several months to a year atleast, but pondering these things is fun.

Living in Alaska, moose, black bear, caribou, and the like are pretty high on the menu.  My ultimate dream is a Trad bow grizzly.  So...by those figurings, it makes perfect sense to shoot a bow that's at least 60-65 lbs. at my draw length.

That's what I'm currently shooting.  One of my bows is pulling a shade over #65, the other one right at 60 lbs.  I shoot the #65 lb bow every day for two and a half hours a day while I'm at work for three weeks at a time.  When I'm at home, I'm shooting the 60 lb. bow just two or three days a week.  I hate to say it, but I do seem to shoot the slightly lighter bow a bit better, even though it's not as nice as my other.

So...my thoughts are that I shoot every day for about 3/4 of the year.  I'll hunt for a week or two a year, total.  It almost makes sense to go with a lighter poundage...say...55 lbs.  I don't suffer any....issues with weakness that I know of, but I have suffered alot of shoulder trauma.  It hasn't been an issue since I've started archery, but I'm always nervous about the issue rearing it's ugly head, and...well...I just don't know how I'd live if I had to quit shooting!

I also lean towards the heavy bows because I try to eek what power I can out of my short 27" draw.

On the other hand...It aint gonna be often I can buy a custom bow, and I'm in my late 30's, and not gettin' any younger.

But then again...it seems the body will eventually adapt to whatever I shoot.  Before I started shooting the 60+ pound bows I was shooting 45-50 lb bows with the same amount of strain.  Awright...maybe a little less, but not much at all.  

So...there's a fine balance to maintain, between having enough horsepower for hunting, and being able to shoot daily.

Anyone else flirted with these notions and come up with a satisfying, workable solution?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Poundage ponderings...Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I'd say mid 50's and a two blade BH for the big burly stuff.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
27" isn't that short.

There are some bowyers out there that'll customize the limbs to be at peak performance at your draw.
Not just the right pounds...the right limb design for your draw.

Sixby (eaglewing bows) and Kirkll of Bigfoot bows are just a couple.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I'd think "performance" over "poundage". In MOST cases the two go hand and hand, but some bow designs out perform others. Well tuned bow/heavy arrow combination with a good broadhead, reasonable shot distance and proper shot placement, 55# should be plenty. I have issues with my bow shoulder. Dropped my bow poundage and it helped some, but going to a lighter mass weight bow helped it the most.

Oh, I have killed black bear and two caribou with 55# and 600+grain arrows....complete pass thrus! I haven't had a chance for moose yet, but I hope to!

Good luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Hey let's face it we all like the way an arrow rips off the shelf of a heavy bow but it looks like you have drawn the same conclusion I have.Back off a few pounds and enjoy the benefits.I shot a 38#er last year that could hang with my 45.Awbowman's made a point ask others about designs that produce 60+ perfomance in a bit lighter package.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
You're talking about a custom bow.   Do a lot of research.  Find a bowyer who will optimize the bow at your draw length.  The real key is to shoot the bow that you can hit most accurately with.  Fred Eichler killed the grand slam with a 54 lb recurve.   Look into bows using carbon / foam limbs, use skinny FF strings, use optimized arrows.  All of these things have the effect of increasing your arrow velocity, and or penetration to match a heavier bow, without having to shoot a heavier draw weight.  

Don't get all wrapped up in draw poundage.   If you optimize your arrows and use a bow with a skinny FF string you can shoot a 55 lb bow that will out penetrate a 65 lb bow with standard arrows.  Take the time to read thru the Ashby reports on Trad Gang and understand them. They open a lot of options for increased pentration that does not include a heavy bow.

I shoot 55 lb R/D longbows with EFOC arrows.  I am willing to hunt anything short of Elephant, Hippo or Rhino with my set up.  Bears are not nearly as tough as people think.  The real problem is making a bad shot which can lead to a long and dangerous chase.  Accuracy is what is vital.  Put a sharp head thru the heart or lungs and a bear is going down quick.  Hit the shoulder and your out of luck with a heavy or light bow.   I would put Moose at the top of the tough animals on your list.  55 lbs will do the job just fine for Moose.  Get close and shoot straight.  Instead of shooting so much, focus on your form and making each shot perfect.  Perfect arrow flight and a razor sharp broadhead are the two most important factors in penetration.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline NotThe10thMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Excellent thoughts on the lighter mass weight.  One of my closest friends recently bought a Super Shrew that I fell in love with, except that it almost seemed like it could be too light in weight for my tastes.  The lighter mass weight brings up the side to that coin I hadn't considered.  (I never shot it because he's a lefty)  In retrospect I almost wish I'd dug out a thumb ring and went for it, accuracy be damned.

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
There's a pretty interesting article in the latest Trad Bowhunter about considering poundage vs. accuracy and the ability to hold at draw. It isn't anything revolutionary, but I thought it was thought-provoking.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
As my Drill Sergeant used to tell us..."No matter how bad it sucks, you had better LOVE practicing, because the game is way to short and the consequences are VERY severe".  

If you can shoot the 60# and are happy with it's, and your, performance then why change?  On the othr hand, if your trying to talk yourself into a lighter weight bow (it already sounds like you have) then get the 55# bow, and utilize the FF string, and optimum arrow to increase your odds of not failing.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Though I've not owned one the performance over poundage is described on the A&H archery site. They are the makers of ACS bows. Might be helpful to you to read their testing info.

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Why not take Performance and poundage???? I shoot a 64# carbon backed long longbow. 60#  is not really that much to pull if A person can shoot it just fine then thats what they should shoot. I had a 55# bow and could not shoot it as well as my 64 # bow. and I do not belive that shooting a 60 to 70lb bow is going to hurt anyone if thats what you shoot and shoot it all the time or for years that is what your body is use to and it will not hurt you. I know a man that is 83 this year and he has a 68 # bow that he has shoot for years.
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline NotThe10thMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I'm actually leaning towards staying at 60 lbs. or so. Considering my limited experience I'm doing pretty awright with it.

Right now my favorite bow is a Kustom King Raven- 64" R/D long bow with Fast Flight string.  So far it's given up nothing to an 80 lb. hybrid, nor to many custom bows around the same range that cost twice as much.  I've definitely become a believer in fast flight strings, and proper tuning.

Right now I'm torn between a few different ones.  Thunderhorn Heart Stopper 3 pc, Super Shrew, Pronghorn, Cari-Bow or a Bama Bows Expedition...

It's mind boggling how many breathtakingly beautiful bows are out there...all with stellar reputations!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Well a lower poundage bow that is faster is a good solution to the problem.

Your shooting 65# and can get a bow that at 55# shoots the same arrow at the same speed.

Too me it's a no brainer.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Well a lower poundage bow that is faster is a good solution to the problem.

Your shooting 65# and can get a bow that at 55# shoots the same arrow at the same speed.

Too me it's a no brainer.

Mike
Gotta go with Mr. Westvang on this one.
Good thread.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
x 3.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Mr.Westvang nailed it!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I am not going to jump on the band wagon if you can shoot 65 just fine and there is a bow that shoots just as good at 55lbs then other bows at 65 why would you not get that bow in 65lbs??????
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Don't lose site that the 55#r must still be a personal fit.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
I say get what you want.  You are not married to it.  I shoot a lot, every day.  Today, I shot about 75 arrows with three different bows.  A 45 lb "Barta" , a 57 LB Widow longbow, and the majority with a 70lb Hill.  Tomorrow it will be a different mix of bows.  I like to shoot.  If you like to shoot, get a bunch of bows.  I like the idea of shooting a "faster" bow as well.  I have a ACS, but its 66 lbs!  I keep it for any rampant Chrysler Imperial.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
i thought about this same subjuect alot. and i too tought it would be better if i shot higher weight. i did alot of research on this topic. i asked alot of questions. i started several topics on this on this site and others asking guys to give there opinions. i posted one topic for guys who had actualy taken these animals with  50-55lbs stickbows. i did this b/c i was going to do elk hunting in the fall.and i was concerned about what weight i was pulling and that it might not be enough.  the bow i took is rated 53@26inches. on a good day i might draw 26. i actually draw right under 26. so 25 3/4! i had my bow pulled on a scale and at my lenght it showed 52lbs. i took 575 grain arrows with me on my elk hunt and sharp 2 blade broadheads. i shot a elk at 15 yards. i made a damn good shot and my arrow buried up to the feathers. the bull ran less than 200 yards and died. i am very confident in my arrow set up. i would hunt moose, elk, caribou, bear with it. arrow placement is the key. not how much yor pulling.  thats my 2 cents

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©