3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to keep a deer hide?  (Read 312 times)

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How to keep a deer hide?
« on: December 08, 2011, 06:22:00 AM »
What is the best way to save a deer hide to tan later? I do have a big freezer in the shop so storing it won't be a problem.  The hair will be coming off, should that be done now or does it matter?

Thanks....Barry
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to keep a deer hide?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
I would think it would be fine in the freezer for a while. I'd put in in a couple of trash bags. I know alot of taxidermist keep their heads in a freezer till they get ready to do them. good luck DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline smiley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
I have deer hides in a freezer for a couple of years with hair on.I still tan them with no problem
Wayne A Hoffman

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
If you can flesh it before freezing, it will take up a whole lot less room and keep better.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
If you plan on fleshing it later, I have found it a whole lot easier to do if you do not salt it prior to freezing.... Just been my experiences.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
I would not salt it if you are going to freeze it. If you do it will not totaly freeze. But if you salt it good enough and all major chunks of fat and meat are off just let it dry out as it dries fold it up and ship it to the tannery. If you leave it out of the freezer unsalted you will run the risk of loosing the whole hide. Even though you will be doing hair off you will comprimise the hide. If it decays past a certain point you will not get your leather out of it. It will just fall apart at the tanner. It should last for months just frozen. Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Fold it freeze it and wait till your ready. you can flesh it first if room is a consideration, but they flesh easier while thawing.They will keep along time in a freezer. Trash baggs are a good idea to seperate it from everything else.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Scott is right.  Do not salt it if you are going to freeze it, just put it straight in the freezer.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I wet salt mine. I just lay mine out and salt them, let them drain for an hour or so, roll them up and stick them in a trash can with water softener salt in the bottom, so they continue to drain, after a week or so I move them to another can and store them there. They will store for a very very long time this way and don't take up space in a freezer meant for meat! Just don't salt them until they are stiff and hard, you will have a VERY tough time re-hydrating and fleshing/tanning//softening them

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©