3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety In The Trees (w/pics and new avatar)  (Read 628 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Safety In The Trees (w/pics and new avatar)
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
With all of my recent threads, and entries on others threads, re safety, harnesses, etc while bowhunting or practicing from the trees - it dawned on me the other day that my avatar still showed me in one of my older rigs. I decided it was time for a change. The older one was a vest but it was pointed out by a friend that the leg straps didn't appear to cup my legs in a "seat" as they should. The end result of some research on my part was to buy and talk about the new Rescue One System - which I have done here, and in TGMM, of late.

I decided I should also update my avatar to reflect the safety change. It has been too unseasonably warm the past week or so to hunt comfortably and yesterday was supposed to be the last of that. So I chose to take advantage of it, and got the wife to take some pics in preparation to change my avatar. I submitted a request to our beleaguered, always helpful Admin, Rob (with my member # in the subject line - I did remember that) but, because I can't seem to remember all that I'm about these days, I forgot to "attach" the pics - DUH! So I had to re-submitt - LOL

Anyway I thought I'd point up the (pending) change that Rob always helps us with, and my change to safer equipment. It really helps to feel comfortable, and in the best safety harness you can possibly afford, up there in those trees, Guys n' gals. Here are the results of the avatar change preparation pics.

Man, that sure is an old looking geezer when he's concentrating hard to make sure that he has all his gear on him before climbing, i.e. tree strap, recovery strap, etc.  - (Rose didn't have to take THAT pic - LOL):

Here is the pic - shooting from my ladder stand with my Rescue One on and safely strapped to the tree - my recovery strap is safely stored in the waistline, at the small of my back:

A cropped clos-er up in case it's better for the new avatar:

Here is a bonus shot Rose took to show how pleased I was to have accomplished something i planned to do - besides just sitting around the house. I was also pleased that my Anneewakee Addiction, "Blackie" had scored a kill shot on my foam deer - even if i was shooting a blunt - LOL:

The avatar change should take place soon (when Rob is able to get this old coot straight - LOL) Good hunting to all of you, and PLEASE do your very best to stay safe, especially up there in the trees. I really don't care to loose any more friends/relatives this year.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety In The Trees (w/pics and new avatar)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Good stuff Bernie. If I hunted from trees I would be giving it serious consideration.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Bernie is that an Ol' Man stand your in?

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I see, like me, you suffer from noassatol. I wish I had that many targets set up in my back yard!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
It is a blessing, Tom - the targets that is - LOL (I've always suffered from that other affliction - LOL). Only one of the 3D foam critters were bought new though - all came from Range auctions or yard sales - couldn't afford them otherwise. The bags i buy new but on sale (at WallyWorld, after season)

TC, yes, that is an Ol' Man ladder, and this years (same) model has been modified so the standing platform rests against the tree, instead of being a couple or so inches out. A good stand. I've used one of their Climbers for years and find their web hammock style seats exceptionally  comfortable.

Thanks, Chuck, good to hear from you. I really am impressed with the design, function, and comfort/safe feeling the Rescue One affords me. Besides, the lowering device that gets you safely to the ground (in case of an accident that you can't regain your platform from) is a real hoot.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Great reminder. It's not enough to just have a safety system, but one that works properly.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Thanks, don-h, point well made.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I love my HSS. I'd recommend it over anything else. I wear a harness at work all the time. They pull, bind and need adjustment constantly. Not the HSS. It's comfortable. And, it works.

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Very good information.  Could be a gift that could safe a friends life.  I have a few people I should get a new Rescue One System. Thank you.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
There are certainly other (folks favorites) safety devices/systems out there that are "good to go" also. Main thing is, like Don indicated - just have one, and make sure the one you choose works in all aspects, and that you have faith and comfort in it, so that you will use it.

Bless you all, bless us all.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
sorry bernie, my bad!  is it ok now????
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
That's great on the new avatar, Rob. Thanks, and I appreciate the help, as usual.    :goldtooth:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Oak518

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
thanks for this infro

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Truly my Pleasure, Oak518.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 06:02:00 AM »
The more I see my new avatar, the better I like it, and I liked it plenty to start with - does that sound conceited?  Oh well, I always said that "I wished I was rich instead of so darned good looking," as did my Pop before me -   :goldtooth:  

Thanks again, Rob.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Bernie-thanks for the safety tips as you should never get complacent because that is when it happens! You sure look like you have a good time and I really admire that! Thanks again!

Kenny   :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Lookin' good Bernie, thanks and great pictorial.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
My pleasure, kennyb and KentuckyTJ - and thank you for the comments.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Enjoyed your thread Bernie. Good to 'see' you again  :)  ....Looking forward to seeing you at some shoots this year...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
slightly off topic- but where does one get a harness for a kid- my daughter is 10 yrs old.
i want to make sure she stays safe!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©