3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Much Wool Clothing Do You Own!  (Read 996 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Much Wool Clothing Do You Own!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Way to much, but I use my base layers all winter long.

doug77

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Not enough is right; I'm convinced that my whole hunting wardrobe should consist of nothing but wool and the occasional piece of fleece.  Slowly getting there.

Minus33 1/4 zip shirt (light grade), t-shirt, socks
First Lite 1/4 zip (mid-grade) in ASAT
Cabela's 6-pocket pants (green pair and another gray pair)
SmartWool socks
Some kind of cheap military issue gloves
Asbell pullover -- oh, and one of her wool haversacks (that thing is great)
A good dozen random sweaters of various thicknesses that I picked up at Goodwill last year for about $3 to $5 each; whole hunting camp uses these for various layers now (one really windy weekend last year, I convinced everyone to try wool and they've since become converts)
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
Hello Fellow Classic Bowman    

First my apology for not having my site up -- anyone doing a quality site knows the problems
I won't setle for second best---  just a bit  longer--

First -- all my clothing and gear will be 100% guaranteed   --- I do special colors that I pick the yarns and most are specificly dyed to my specifications ---
What coming
Vests, Wool shirts-- see photo of Gary Logsdon photo on the banner --  Grousehaven Plaid  TM
 Hats--- lots of different styles to come---
Besides the Bowman Brim-- even the Bowman Bomber.
Belts, and archery cases and a new Bowman Briefcase
Anyone wanting a catalog--- please email me at
[email protected]   or 877-599-5153

Thanks for your patience---  

Classic Bowman Sporting Woolens
you can also get to  my site by going to Classicsportsman.com  

Many Thanks    Rob Tiberio   owner

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
I'm a wool addict.  I have not tried some of the newer synthetic fabrics out there that many like, especially sitka gear, which I will someday, but good wool is very tough to beat in my opinion.  I use both grey wolf and sleeping indian for outer layers.  But to be honest the best stuff I have found is smart wool for base layers.  I really doubt this stuff can be topped.  I wear it CONSTANTLY both for hunting and for work.  In fact...I just got done ordering some more of it.
  Buy both layers of this stuff. DONT TRY TO SKIMP!  Wool works wonders in layers.  I wear the lighter 200 gram layer constantly at work in temps from really cold up to about 60 degrees.  If I am hunting in a treestand in the early season...I have it on.  The stuff keeps you warm when it is cold and cool when it is warm.  Plus it has silver in it, which helps to stop it from stinking.  I tried under armour and hated it.  The next layer of this stuff is 400 gram.  In cool weather during deer season I will have both layers on...and then either grey wolf or sleeping indian as an outer layer.  My friends always marvel at how I am always warm even in cooler temps, with less clothing on than they have.  They are always wearing like 5 layers of some other fabric and are always freezing cold!
    Wool is a great insulator but not so great at blocking wind.  This problem is easily solved.  First of all.  Don't skimp on the layers.  2 layers of smart wool works better than one thick layer. This makes a major difference.  Buy both layers of the smart wool and use them accordingly.  If it is really windy, then you can use some other fabric as an outer layer to block the wind.  But honestly, I have never needed to do this since I started wearing both layers of smart wool.  Just today I was at work wearing just one layer of smart wool under a flannel shirt, while everyone else was wearing big bulky carharts. I was warm and they were still cold.  Finally one of the guys asked how I could be outdoors all day with such little clothing.  I told him it was because of the smart wool...he was interested in it untill I told him what it costs.  
   Cost is another issue.  Good wool SEEMS expensive.  But its really not in the long run.  The stuff works better than anything I have ever tried...and it lasts forever.  I have a coat from grey wolf that I wear all the time that is over 12 years old, and it looks brand new. For a guy looking into investing in some good wool the initial cost can be intimidating.  My recommendation is to work from your skin out.  By this I mean..the first thing I would buy would be both sets of smart wool.  Then maybe down the road invest in a good outter layer by grey wolf, or sleeping indian...or classic bowman.
   The biggest mistake people make with wool is trying to mix it with other fabrics.  A buddy of mine bought a very expensive set of outter layer wool.  Instead of complimenting it with some great wool core layers, he decided to skimp and bought cotton core layers.  Cotton is worthless as a core layer except in warm weather.  The two fabrics are only fighting each other.  Cotton is supposed to hold moisture..to keep you cool.  An exception to this is brushed cotton like carhart material, which works great as a wind block outter layer.
   As far as wool with windblocker materials..here are my thoughts.  Alot of companies make excellent wool garments with the option of a wind blocker.  I have a pair of bibs from grey wolf with the wind blocker.  If I were doing it again...I would not get the wind blocker.  Instead..I would spend that money on another layer of wool.  In my opinion...the wind blocker needs to be on the outside of the garment...not the inside.  Liteloft or comformax is a great windblocker...but it would work better if it were on the outside of the wool garment.  
   All in all, I still feel wool is very very hard...if not impossible to beat as a hunting clothing.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:00 AM »
I thought I was doing pretty good until I saw some of the piles listed on this thread. Anyone who thinks they have too much can gladly send it my way. Sweaters and bibs are my favorite. Hmmmmmm, think I need to visit the Filson site again soon. If you are concerned with wind, try the Cabela's wool knited zip up with wool fleece inside and wind shear in between. This one of my favorites.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Before Walmart ran our local sports shop out of business they used to carry Woolrich clothing and would mark everything way down through the summer. Over a few years I picked up a coat, shirt, pants, and vest for half price. Add to that a Goodwill wool shirt and you have my wardrobe.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Through all my years of hunting I have never had an issue with wind penetrateing. But it is probably do to the layering.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Smithhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
More than I could list. I rarely ever use any synthetics anymore.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Love wool!  I bought some when I first started to buy more hunting gear and then got into synthetics for a couple years. The synthetics are now replaced again with more wool. I was never warm in all the layerts of synthetics i had and they didn't hold up.  My favorite wool is Filson. I've got a Grey Wolf wool jacket that really like the fit on but it's not as wind resistant as the Filson wool but i still wear it. Wish Filson would come out with light brown plaids.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Well said jonsimoneau...... totally agree with your thoughts on wool.   :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Zip.

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I have a Fison mackinaw coat which I really like. Also, 5 sets of wool underware, which December thru February, I will wear every day. Tons of Smartwool socks, but, I have just discovered Darn Tough socks from Vermont. They are the best socks out. I have KOM pants, coat, shirt and hats, since 1994. Always liked the camo pattern and this is my second set. I had a swannie coat, but ended up selling it. Never was thrilled with it even though lots rave about them. Anyhow, wool is the only stuff I wear. Maybe, Im old school, but, have yet to discover anything better. Growing up I would sleep inbetween wool blankets, no sheets and still love it.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Many pairs of merino wool long skivvies, several Woolrich shirts, socks, a Swanndri bush shirt, and two kilts.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Filson timber Mack with double zipper

Filson black field pants

Filson zip vest green

Asbell pullovers green and evening brown

Military sweater green.

Gotta love the Filson and asbell products.. "might as well have the best"

Really looking for the timber camo pants by Filson to match my coat. It's a shame they discontinued that material...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Columbia Gallatin pants/parka - med cold

Gander Mountain H2O wool pants and parka - super cold

Asbell pullovers - God sent! - just plain sweet

One wool button up shirt - plaid

No better material going in my eyes

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
I have the following:

Woolrich heavy Red/Black plaid coat (Made in USA)
Woolrich Buffalo shirt Red/Black (USA)
Asbell Vest w hood
Smart wool baselayer top
Various sock brands of differant weights of Merino wool, Wool fingerless gloves
On the wish list Asbell pullover Evening Stand Green!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Well its good to see I am not alone with this illness!
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
How much wool clothing do I own?  Not enough, that's for sure!

Filson wool vest

Several pairs of Smart Wool socks

Gray Wolf unlined jacket

Gray Wolf unlined pants

Some kind of European military surplus wool pants

2 Woolrich wool shirts

military surplus wool gloves

A flannel lined wool vest that a friend's wife made me.

2 Stormy Kromer hats
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
I can't list mine for fear of my wife seeing how much I really have, It's almost a sickness.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
Lots, but most of it is homemade.

My wife can sew anything and for the most part, it's better than you can buy, but I do have bibs and several pants that I bought years ago which are commercial.

I tend to not wear the wool until the weather gets pretty cold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©