3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new to traditional.. please help!  (Read 450 times)

Offline darbyjean95

• Trad Bowhunter
new to traditional.. please help!
« on: December 08, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
im a compound bow hunter and have been really admiring the trad bows. i dont know any specifications i would need, so if yall could help me out id really appreciate it!! when i shoot compound, i shoot 40#s with 80% let off. im about 5'7" im a girl so im not super strong.
i think i want a one piece bow not a take down, but im not sure. and i want the bow to have at least a little recurve in the limbs not like a longbow.

any info you have for me would be great!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new to traditional.. please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
I would start off by having your true draw length measured and testing a few bows of similar design in different weights. Once you find a bow that you can hold at full draw for 10 seconds and make an accurate shot with it, that's the weight to start with. You will be suprised at how easily you can move up in bow weight especially 5 pounds or so in a year. I would recommend you try the Sammick Sage as a starter bow as it really is a great bow and won't break the bank.
James Kerr

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I was in the same boat as you last year. I purchased a take down recurve that I can put in my pack as a back up bow. After shooting for awhile I really enjoy the recurve and haven't touched my wheel bow. The thing I like about it is that it can fit in my pack so it's not a hassle to take with me. I am sure I will hunt with my wheel bow next year, but I'll have the recurve with me, providing I get good enough and believe in myself enough, once I drop my gear at the spike camp I'll put down the compound too. I don't know that I would have that chance to dip my toe in the waters with a one piece, maybe down the road, but not yet.
  I would get the lightest poundage bow you can legally hunt with and see how it goes after shooting for awhile, maybe you'll want to use it a day or two, or every day, next season. Good luck and happy hunting.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
If you are shooting 40# with your wheel bow I would suggest starting around 25# with a traditional bow. Once you develope form, accuracy and confidence then move up in weight. Too many people start out traditional with too high a poundage bow and develope bad shooting habits that are later hard to break.
Jack Shanks

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
I started with a Samick as well, and it was a great deal. Didn't break the bank at all and I would start with 35# limbs as I think they are the lightest. Work on your form first, and not your accuracy...that will come with shooting. I got frustrated trying to shoot accurately and didn't pay attention to my form as much.

Hang in there and have fun. I haven't touched my wheelie since as well. And ask questions, the folks here have been very helpful. Also look through the shooters forum for tips. Lots of great folks there willing to help.

Trag gang is by far the best resource on the net.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Chiming in with the chorus. 25# in a Samick Sage or other ILF takedown would be a good place to start because as you build up strength you can increase your poundage economically.

And then...

Start buying gorgeous custom bows!    :goldtooth:
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I started my wife shooting trad about 2 yrs ago.  She was shooting about the same weight compound you are.  I started her out shooting a lightweight kids bow that was about 25 lbs at her draw length.  I made her shoot form for about 3 months until her shot sequence was ingrained.  Then I got her a Trad Tech ILF with longbow limbs.  This was nice because of the weight adjustment.  Now she shoots an ACS CX that is about 42 lbs at her draw length.  Don't tell her I said this but she can shoot lights out most days.  The key was I knew all the bad habits from trail and error over the years, and I was able to teach her good form right from the beginning.

Sorry to get so long winded.  Two most important things is to start with something light weight, and learn good form.

Good luck!
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Also may try some other bows from 3R's if you can find a lighter draw if 35# is too heavy.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I agree with the advice to start with a draw weight quite a bit lower than you have with your compound now.  Keep in mind when looking at draw weights on traditional bows they are typically marked at a 28" draw.  If your actual draw lenght is less than that, the weight you are pulling will be less.  That is why it is so important to determine your true draw length first.  

Where in Michigan are you?  There is a great traditional archery show in Kalamazoo the end of January.  It would be well worth your while to make every effort to attend!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
My wife is your height and thin, her bow is 30@28 Samick Red Stag, maybe pulls 25 or so and she does not want a heavier bow but really likes the one she has. You can get them as a take-down or a one piece, she wanted the take-down.

Offline NotThe10thMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I've already mentioned the Sage in PM, as have a few others, and it's not at all a bad choice.

I just remembered another good bargain I know of in lighter bows.  It's from Kustom King called the "Horsebow Express"  Currently, it's available in 29 lbs. only, and going for $120.00.

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Horsebow-48/productinfo/4718/

I paid $180.00 for my 50#er,just before they went on close out.  In any case it's a VERY light, smooth drawing, and nice shooting little bow...Sort of.  Due to it's light weight, shortness, and shooting off the hand it is very..demanding.  It tends to be unforgiving and demand flawless form, and it's a learning experience to get arrows properly tuned to it.  I know that's typically considered to be bad, but after I shot it for a month and then went back to my Sage, it had forced me to develop much better form, release, focus, etc.  I still keep it, and use it to sharpen myself up and play with now and then.

If you have the patience, and can do without rapid gratification, it may be worth considering.

The main reason I thought to mention it was the low draw weight, and the fact that my own wife had seen me shooting several different bows and was always content to watch.  It wasn't until she saw me shooting that one that she came out into the yard, picked it up and said "okay, teach me..."  Nevermind that it's a harsh, unforgiving little thing, it LOOKS cute, I guess?

I know that's a perspective that's far enough out of the box to be perhaps a bit crazy, but..when I post advice threads I personally like it when people post unusual perspectives.

Offline darbyjean95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
thanks everyone!! i dont know anyone who shoots trad around me, or sells them. except bass pro, but they only have like 4. so im guna rely on you guys:) thanks again so much.

Offline darbyjean95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
i cant seem to find a samick sage for sale except on ****. do they make one pieces? or would i be better off with a take down? i couldnt find any in the classifieds

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
Do you have access to a club? If yes, and if they have some bows you can try( usually, they have light weight bows for beginner, and target shooting) you could borrow one and use it for a wile to work on form and to get the feel for it.

If no club, I'm sure you can find some one here that live in your area that will be more than happy to help you out!

Like other said, start at a low poundage that you have no problems drawing. Don't start with to short of a bow. And shoot a bow that can be shot from the shelf, as close as possible to your hand.

Have some one teach you the basic of proper form, anchor and finger release( I assume that as a cbow shooter, you have used a release aid).

Give your self some time and have fun!!

Cheers and welcome!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »
I don't think you will notice any difference in shooting a take down bow versus a one peice other than the weight of the bow. I personally like one piece longbows the best. But I also like takedown recurves as much or more than one piece recurves. The Sage is a great bow a guy at our club has one and I have shot it. It is definately a steal of a deal at under $150 I could easilly see this bow being worth atleast $250. It shoots really nice for a beginners bow.
James Kerr

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
You came to the right site for help!  I agree with those that say to start out with a lighter bow.  My wife started with a 25lb. longbow.  She is working up to a hunting weight bow.  As far as what kind of bow to shoot...to be honest..there really is not that much difference performance wise between bows these days at least that is noticeable in my opinion.  The most important part of any bow is the grip.  
   Recurves are normally easier for most people to shoot...but MOST is the key word in that sentence.  The biggest piece of advice I always offer to people starting out is to consider taking shooting lessons from someone who knows what they are doing.  It does not cost much...and can save you alot of frustration and can also stop you from bad shooting habits that are very easy to develop.  I took shooting lessons from Rick Welch in 2006 and I wish I had done it ten years earlier.  I learned more in 3 days instruction from him than I did by reading books or trying to figure it out on my own.  Another option is to at least watch the Masters of the Barebow DVDs.  Those are great too.  Either way...just make sure you are having fun doing it!  Good luck!

Offline darbyjean95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
does anyone know where i could find a sage one piece? would be very helpful:) thanks!

Offline don_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
I don't know that the sage is made as a one piece, at least from my google search. Couple great bows  listed on the classifieds and sponsor classifieds right now that are one piece and fairly low draw weight. As mentioned though, takedowns are nice since you can buy heavier limbs if you wanted. Good luck on your search.

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Check with 3 Rivers Archery, a sponsor here.  They use to carry them and are another source of information.  There might also be other sponsors here that carry them.

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
you might want to check out Mike Mecredy's web sight, Mad Dog Archery, He has a mid size bow that is worth looking at
delivered by grace

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©