3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve Length and Weight ?'s  (Read 442 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve Length and Weight ?'s
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Guys,I know all the rage is short bows whether recurves or longbows, so with that said my question is in regards to recurves specifically. Most of the recurves bowyers build are in the 60 to 62 inch range. What is the average length most of you are shooting and what is your draw length? My 2nd question is in regards to total physical  weight of the bow as I am used to a lightweight bow in either one piece or takedown recurves? I am a diehard longbow shooter but earlier this year broke my wrist badly and it is giving me enough problems that I cannot shoot my longbow over 10 shots without alot of discomfort. So I may have to move to a recurve to try that and see if it makes any difference if not I do not want to think about the alternative. I appreciate all the replies. By the way I can tell you my favorite recurves I have been looking at are Bruins, Rose Oak, Schafers, and Tall Tines. Never have shot any of them though.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve Length and Weight ?'s
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I have found that I like a 60" recurve & I have 3 well maybe 4 if ya include the extra set of limbs.

Weights are measured to my draw length.
Zona Custom T/D Recurve #24 60" 49# @ 27"
91' Sky Sky Hawk 60" 47# @ 27"
Same Sky Hawk w/ 56# @ 27" limbs
Zona Custom T/D Recurve #46 60" 36# @ 27"
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
I have 60" 62" and 64" recurves.
My draw is 29".
I prefer the 64" bow over the two shorter lengths.

John

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
64,66, are my average takedown or one piece preferred length recurves. Short bows are far from the rage for me, I just cant shoot as accurately with them as I do with longer recurves. I wish I could, but its like night and day for me.
.  Draw is 29". Shoot anywhere from 48# to 76# depending what I'm going after. Favorite draw weight is mid-fifties for general shooting/hunting.
David M. Conroy

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
if you have to go to a recurve is it because of the grip, if so they do have longbows that have the recurve type grip,

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Howler, maybe that and the weight of the overall bow for less vibration.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Flint,

I've missed seeing you!  Sorry to hear about your injury.

I draw 29", and my favorite hunting bows are 58"ers.  I have longer and shorter, but 58" seems like the perfect compromise between accuracy and clearance for me.  I killed my last half-dozen deer with 47#@29".

If business ever brings you up this way again, get in touch.  I have an interesting "rehab" bow you could use for a while that might help you work through the puzzle of what is best for YOU!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
62-64" length, #40-45, ILF set-up, mine DAS

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
60-62" recurves with a 30" draw. All my recurves have been 62". I've tried a some short bows, recurves and lb's but found the longer ones to be much more forgiving and accurate. I do have a 60" Dorado which I actually love shooting ........I didn't expect to like this bow that much...but I do.   All my custom recurves now are 62"  

Take a look at Chek-mate and Cascade. I've had a bunch of Chek-mates and for the money there's no better bow.

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
I to have wrist and elbow problems. Switching back to a recurve has helped. A different grip and more physical weight of the bow I think is what has made the difference. I love my longbows but cant shoot them for extended periods of time. I like 60 or 62in. recurve takedown models. I have 27in draw and shoot 50-55lbs.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Two 56" Custom Bighorn Recurves, 48#s 26.5" DL.

One 58" Thunderstick Mag r/d longbow, 48#s at 26.5"

I hunt tight areas and need a short bow
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I have a BW PSAV 46#@28, the bow is 60" and I draw 30" and it seems pretty smooth all the way! it is my first recurve since a long time, and quit like it!!

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
my fav's are 62" in recurves and 64" in longbows at a 28" draw.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I draw 29-3/4" and shoot a 30-1/2" BoP arrow.  

My two current main shooters (both one-piece recurves) are:

62", 52#@28" and a physical weight of 3 lbs 0 oz (or about 56# at my draw).

58", 51#@28" and a physical weight of 2 lbs 0 oz (or about 55# at my draw).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 12:13:00 AM »
There is no reason you should have to go to a recurve limb to get smooth drawing, smooth shooting bow.  There are some fine shooting hybrid long bows out there that are dead in the hand and very user friendly.... as a matter of fact i know a guy that builds them.    :readit:  

The over all length of a bow isn't what makes it smooth drawing, or dead in the hand. The string angle plays a huge part in it, and the getting a good limb balance to your pressure point does the rest..... there's a bit more to it than that.... but you get the idea.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »
Yep.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I prefer 66" length recurves and I have a 30" draw length and this bow length combined with my draw length eliminates "finger pinch" which I simply can't stand.      :mad:    

Some bowyers will build a 66" recurve, but they do so with a 21" riser. I prefer a 66" recurve with a 19" riser and 23.5" length limbs. I get more fps in arrow speed with the shorter riser.

BTW, both of my recurves are take downs. I've never weighed each bow, but I like the added weight of a take down over a one piece. It helps to steady the bow while aiming in a good stiff crosswind.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Night Wing,

I'm having tech problems with photo bucket right now so i cannot post a good example, but i have a 60" r/d long bow that will draw to 32" with a better string angle than a lot of 66" bows out there.

the string angle is determined by where the "Working limb" is located. most D shape and mild R/D long bow limbs load more evenly along the full length of the limb. With out any reflex to the tip, it requires more length to get a better string angle.

With recurve limbs, and hybrid bows alike, the working limb can be manipulated through the use of different taper rates in the core, and shifting tip and butt wedges to bend further out on the limb creating a lot milder string angle.

Depending on the design, and the geometry used. You can take an identical 60" bow and make it draw so it stacks up at 26"  or 32".

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
My draw is 29".I've always liked short bows but have never been able to shoot 54" and shorter bows well.My all time favorite length is 56".These days,I like a lighter physical weight bow though over the years,I've owned a few heavier riser recurves.I own 2 Mojostik recurves,56",and they are light,smooth drawing and about as vibration free as a bow can be.The physical weight is 1 lb 5 oz.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Hey Jim, That is a perfect example right there. looking at those tips at brace i'll bet she comes back to 30" pretty smooth too.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©