3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrel Hunting  (Read 1706 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Squirrel Hunting
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I haven't squirrel hunted since I was a kid.....and that was with a .410

I'd lke to start up again with my bow. I'm open to all tips, stories, pictures, and strategies.

Thanks in advance

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrel Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Should have took some pics today, took a walk and peeled a couple of bushy tails off the side of a pecan tree with a few pecans still hanging on.

As far as strategy, I don't know how scientific it is. I like to find a nut tree they are working. This time of year they will spend as much time under the tree as in it. I like to pic them off the side of the tree. I use the same bow as I am hunting with, woodies with the same weight field points as the points on my hunting arrows. Good practice, plus you get to eat what you hit.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Love squirrel hunting! Too easy with firearms! I like to find their travel lanes and sit and wait for them to come into range on dry days when the leaf litter is too crunchy for stalking. If it is wet I will spot and stalk but knowing where they travel is key and kowing food sources is key to finding travel lanes. If you deer hunt a lot you probably already know where to hunt squirrels after having watched them all season.

Here is my tree seat modeled after the Torges Seat

Squirrel hunting makes me happy!

A nice grey

I had 4 shots but only got the one. I just need to get out more to improve my shooting at game that moves.

I use rubber blunts for close shots, Judos, Hex heads and Game Nabbers for longer shots.
The squirrel pictured was taken with a pine shaft from Kustom King with a Bear Paw blunt also from Kustom King.
Member NCBA

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
what kind of points do you guys use? id think any bh or a blunt would work?
duncan thats a great seat might have to make me one
Kevin Day

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
I do the a lot of the same things I do for deer hunting here in Indiana. I always make sure I am in my spot when the sun comes up. I like to use old broadheads instead of judos or blunts. I'm not a big fan of flu flu's. Most of my shots come from treestands when deer season is in but I hunt from the ground early in the year.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
To use rubber blunt you need to be close like 10 - 15 yds. Any farther than that you need something that cuts or punches a hole. I use the heads mentioned in my previous post but I know alot of guys use field points, some drill a hole through the base of the point and add a barb of wire like coat hanger wire.
Member NCBA

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I save all my mix match and slightly bent arrows. I put field points I buy on sale at WalMart with dime size washers behind them. I also carry a few of my quality hunting arrows with the vpa stumping heads on them. They are tuff on squirrels and I carry a few broadheads in case I run across a porker.If a squirrel goes up a tree and thinks he is safe ...wrong I shoot a junker arrow at him.I do have a few flu flu arrows as well but they are so noisy the squirrel will usually be gone by the time the arrow gets there.I usually kill enough for a big family meal every year. I love Squirrel hunting with a longbow.RC

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Used to go alot with the longbow.  Used cedar arrows with a variety of homemade heads.  Some blunts made from 38 pistol casings with lead shot melted in the casing to give it more weight.  Also made some where I sawed a slot thru the head of the casing and hot melted a sharpened triangle shaped piece of banding in it to make a kind mini broadhead/ blunt head.  I agree with RC with the flu flus.  Not only are they noisy, squirrels can be very tough and I liked the idea that the arrow was not losing as much velocity.  You need as much punch as you can get.  I have killed some with well place judos too.  Gone as far as using old broadheds too.  I liked hunting them in September before our deer season opened.  They were less spooky and actually curious, sometimes coming part way down the tree to check you over while cussing you out.  Got alot of shots that way.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
This was my first experience, hunting squirrels with trad equipment.

This one is even funnier!
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqagzoZuD1c&feature=related

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Keep it coming.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
double post

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
Squirrel hunting is some of my favorite kind of fun and one of my favorite eatin kritters.  :thumbsup:  As far as points i prefer game nabbers mounted on flu flu's and standard hunting arrows.Im not much on using mix match arrows because im trying to hit something the size of a tennis ball so i use matched shafts ,as i need every advantage i can get.   :archer2:

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by waiting4fall:
This was my first experience, hunting squirrels with trad equipment.

This one is even funnier!
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqagzoZuD1c&feature=related  
Thats awesome DUDE
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
I too love hunting squirrels with my bow.  Gun hunting for them is no fun.  I know alot of guys on here have heard me say this but here is what I do for arrows.  I buy some cheap parallel wood shafts. (Cheap).  I then paint them blaze orange.  I mean the entire shaft.  I just get blaze orange paint from ace hardware.  I don't even bother to seal them.  Then I fletch them with orange fletching.  I'm telling you I have not lost a squirrel arrow yet by doing this...and I routinely shoot at them high up in the tree.  I have broken a bunch, but that is to be expected with wood shafts.  I use ace hex heads as they work great.  If I break a shaft..I simply remove the hex head and the fletching, and use them on another shaft.  My arrow setups save money, since you can quickly burn through a dozen arrows shooting at tree rats.  
    Squirrel hunting with a bow is one of the most fun things you can do in the woods.  It breaks up the monotony of sitting in a treestand all season and never taking a shot.  It helps with shooting accuracy, and stalking skills.  But mostly...it is just fun as hell!

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Get ready the rut will be in full swing the week after christmas. I like to hunt in recently cut the timber . they will be in the tree tops and it gives you cover while stalking. My other choice is in large timber where there is a lot of cane and brair thickets.  I like multiple blade head heads on my best shooting arrows.It is easy to miss the vitals by just a .5 inch.  While hunting make sure to check around any trees that has a lot of vines they use this for cover after the leaves are gone.     SHOOT STRAIGHT AND TELL THE TRUTH.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
here's a few from this year

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
sweet
 i have yet to hit one but close lots of fun

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I have hit squirrels with rubber blunts hard but could not make a recovery.The latest being an under 10 yard shot with the hit behind the front shoulder.I have also used judos and was able to recover several but still some getting away after being hit.

I am thinking that the weight of the heads is not enough since the above mentioned heads are 125 grains.

I just made an experimental squirrel head using a wing nut and a 175 grain field tip for a total of 250 grains. I gave it a test shot a few minutes ago, narrowly missing my intended target and blowing up my carbon arrow on an unseen rock. The head flew very well on it's maiden flight. I think I'll name this type head the Titanic head.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Good stuff. I scouted out a few spots on public land this morning.

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
I am another that has had nothing but bad luck with blunts. I have resorted to grinding the first 1/8 inch or so off of some old ma-3s I have and doing a single bevel grind on each of the blades at the tip. Take a hatchet with you if you decide to do this though, just in case you miss like I do   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©