3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrel Hunting  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrel Hunting
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
I need a better tip, I use kudos and field tips. A couple of days ago I shot two, hit them mid body. They stuck to the ground for a few seconds and then ran off with my arrows up trees, lost two good arrows. Those squires are tough, if they weighed 100 pounds we would be in trouble. I think I'll switch to old broad heads.

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I used to hunt the oak timber of Eastern Nebr. with HTM blunts.  No stickee in trees and it seemed to pound them pretty hard.  A coup de gras was sometimes necessary.  I used Flu Flu's.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by instinctivebowman:
ive dusted over 30 with my slip-on broadhead

jeremy
Jeremy,

did you use the one for rabbits or pheasants shown on your website?

Has anyone used the pheasant head for other birds like dove?

Duncan
Member NCBA

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Saturday I loaded up my quiver with squirrel arrows and went to an area that's been crawling with tree rats. It's gun deer season here so I figured to have fun shooting at those busytails.

I took 2 broadheads just in case some venison came along. Well needless to say I didn't see a squirrel all morning long...not ONE. Nothing in the woods moved at all until 9:45 when a couple of whitetails came along. I did manage to put one of those in the freezer.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
I killed my first trad squirrel last Sunday. I used 2" screw that fits insert , ran wing nut upside down with sveral washers bbehind it for weight. I took a file and sharpenedthe wing tips to a Sharp edge. It punch about 1/2 dollar size in the rib cage. Oh yea it wad raining that day so couldn't make to the woods a few hours later there where 7 on back back porch. So I just opened the door and now have squirrel in the frezer. I wish I could  a post pic but my phone can't resize pic's on photo bucket
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
slid a pistol shell over a field point for squirrels.Nailed one this evening, he was struggling to climb up a tree. I shot at him, arrow bounced back and nock cut my face just under my eye. Will remember those blunts bounce back as fast as they go forward.
Was thinking about how dangerous this was while cleaning him. Just a warning, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
There used to be a lot of people on this site that usd small game heads they called "Nutters".  Do any of you still use them?  I could not find any old threads on them.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
I got another one today. Nice big male. Also grazed fur off of 2 others.

I made some of those heads (3) Jerry Jeffers uses. They fly real good too but I haven't hit any squirrels with them yet. Tomorrow is another day.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Duncan:

ive dusted over 30 with my slip-on broadhead

jeremy
Jeremy,

did you use the one for rabbits or pheasants shown on your website?

Has anyone used the pheasant head for other birds like dove?

Duncan [/b]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
for squirrel i use the rabbit head slip-on shown on my site. you can use it with your field point or ace head etc. It slides over your point. We have killed dove, chuker, grouse, quail, pheasant etc with the pheasant spear. I bet i have shot at 200 doves. I hit 2 one day and killed them both, if you can hit them it will probably kill them

jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red4arm:
I need a better tip, I use kudos and field tips. A couple of days ago I shot two, hit them mid body. They stuck to the ground for a few seconds and then ran off with my arrows up trees, lost two good arrows. Those squires are tough, if they weighed 100 pounds we would be in trouble. I think I'll switch to old broad heads.
if they weighed a hundred pounds, i would probably just stay indoors with a machine gun handy. tuoghest animal ive ever heard of

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
I love that we've got 4 pages on squirrels.  I'm gona get after them in a few days. Can't wait.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Faith finally scores!

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Most of the big game seasons are short here leaving alot of down time. Squirrels are plentiful and can be hunted year around making for a nice off season break.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Nice shooting guys.   :thumbsup:
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
for squirrel i use the rabbit head slip-on shown on my site. you can use it with your field point or ace head etc. It slides over your point. We have killed dove, chuker, grouse, quail, pheasant etc with the pheasant spear. I bet i have shot at 200 doves. I hit 2 one day and killed them both, if you can hit them it will probably kill them

jeremy
Jeremy,
Do your heads end up sliding up the shaft on a hit or is the hole smaller than the shaft so they stay put behind the field point?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Mike, i have mine set to slide up the shaft that way if i hit a squirrel square, it will spear it but also my field point will continue on and  travel thru it and my slip-on will go up the shaft about 4-5". my field points are the same size as my shaft. The inner hole can be made a little bigger with a round file to slide beter, also you can put a small washer behind a screw in point to keep it from sliding if you want. or on a wooden arrow just put a little extra glue around the base of the point to keep it from sliding
jeremy

Offline wds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Take 125 grain steel blunt. Put it in a vice. Use a hack saw to cut down through the head about a quarter inch or so.  Cut a penny in half with a pair of side cutters Use a hammer to tap the half penny into the cut in the blunt.Use the vice to  Squeeze the blunt closed on the penny. File or grind a sharp edge on the penny. Works great and cost per head is about 11 cents if you buy the blunts by the hundred. These are very easy to make and work very well. What the hell else are you going to do with a penny these days?

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by wds:
Take 125 grain steel blunt. Put it in a vice. Use a hack saw to cut down through the head about a quarter inch or so.  Cut a penny in half with a pair of side cutters Use a hammer to tap the half penny into the cut in the blunt.Use the vice to  Squeeze the blunt closed on the penny. File or grind a sharp edge on the penny. Works great and cost per head is about 11 cents if you buy the blunts by the hundred. These are very easy to make and work very well. What the hell else are you going to do with a penny these days?
loving this idea

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I did something very similar to what wds described.  I made the cut in a .38 caliber casing and slid in a triangular piece of banding steel. Glued and pinched it tight.  (The man who taught me how to do this silver-soldered his in place.) Then file sharpen the triangle.  I have used it, or seen them work on squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, nutria, and ground hogs.  The triangle cuts like a broadhead and the .38 casing adds some punch.  Fly well, too.
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©