3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Squirrel Hunting  (Read 1708 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Squirrel Hunting
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by wds:
Take 125 grain steel blunt. Put it in a vice. Use a hack saw to cut down through the head about a quarter inch or so.  Cut a penny in half with a pair of side cutters Use a hammer to tap the half penny into the cut in the blunt.Use the vice to  Squeeze the blunt closed on the penny. File or grind a sharp edge on the penny. Works great and cost per head is about 11 cents if you buy the blunts by the hundred. These are very easy to make and work very well. What the hell else are you going to do with a penny these days?
Regarding the half penny, are you sticking the flat side out (meaning the cut side) or the round side out?

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Squirrels Down!! Man I'm lovin this thread.
Member NCBA

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
First, grays and piney squirrels are not anyway near the tenacity, toughness, sinewy, 9 lives, etc, of a Fox squirrel, period!

Tough as a wild tom cat!

For a cheap and efficient, diy point, here's what works for me.

I take my old, used field points, be the 125 or more in grain weight. Blunt the tip with either a file or grinder, flat! Then clamp in vice on an old shaft, or use 2 vice grips, one to hold the shaft, point, and the other to hold that vicegrip to a solid flat surface.

Then hacksaw a slot, about a 1/2" deep. Now you need some banding steel 1" wide, like found at a lumber yard, factory,machine shop or scrap yard. Even ole replacement style modular brodheads could be used.

Cut a piece of the banding about 3/4" long, using shears, chisel, or dremel. Either in a triangle shape or half moon. Now insert in slot, align by your eye, and super glue!

When dry and ready, take a file and sharpen up the leading edge, doesn't have to be razor, just sharp!

I use these on my Acme Ramin shafts, and chundoo or heavy pine. Along with broadheads for ground shots, this is my arsenal for Squirrels!

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
I seem to get most of my squirrel hunting done while I am supposed to be deer hunting. We practice for them using cardboard cut-outs of different squirrel profiles (side, perched on a limb, flattened against a trunk, etc) and set them out in the yard/range at different unknown ranges and play a game of "H.O.R.S.E" to make things interesting and fun. Great practice and makes larger targets seem almost "unfair" after a few rounds of this.
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
I'm really getting in the mood to shoot squirrels now!

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
My best tip for shooting squirrels is to go deer hunting, and if you want to see deer go squirrel hunting. Works for me.lol

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
here is my black squirrel, 15yds with a judo and footed carbon arrow! Bama Osage Royal Expedition longbow! shot count was 1 for 6 !
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by BaldingEagle:
I did something very similar to what wds described.  I made the cut in a .38 caliber casing and slid in a triangular piece of banding steel. Glued and pinched it tight.  (The man who taught me how to do this silver-soldered his in place.) Then file sharpen the triangle.  I have used it, or seen them work on squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, nutria, and ground hogs.  The triangle cuts like a broadhead and the .38 casing adds some punch.  Fly well, too.
Got it from J. Rob Davis right???  :goldtooth:  

That method works well for me, but I like the simplicity of the steel blunt- vise idea...no messy solder!  I need to try this!

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
two4hooking, You're right.  Rob has used them on many critters.  I've killed nutria and pheasant with them.  I agree with the simplicity of the blunt, but have at least two boxes of empty brass in .38 and one smaller caliber that I would use before spending $$ on the blunts. (Good to have a policeman as a dad!)

I traded the solder for some 2 ton epoxy and that holds up almost as well. (Just don't make that statement to Rob!)
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Faith finally scores!

Great shooting, Bud!  We need to get everybody together again and go chase some rats.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Yeah that RH single bevel Eclipse plowed right through the shoulder blade....    :scared:  

Maybe after deer season is over we can hit Birkhead and walk the trails stumpin' and squirrelin'   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Just got done footing some carbons to toughenthem up some more. Lots of rocks where I've been shooting at squirrels.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »

Favorite trick ...got a squirrel on the other side of a tree...throw something past the tree. The bushytail will come around to your side.

Also, hunt them like you would whitetails. Early morning and late evening. Find a good area and sit tight.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline instinctivebowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
joe, you kill them with that rubber blunt too? just curiuos. My stumpers typically just piss them off, mine are too soft for that
jeremy

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Hard bludgeons never killed them...just took the wind out of their sails. Had to race up and finish them off. Judos or Tiger claws will send them to dream land.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Balding eagle  how about pouring some melted lead in there instead of epoxy.  Get another 100 grains up front and it will keep everything together. Especially if you first dril a hole in the part of the banding that is inside the shell casing.
ChuckC

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
I use two blade broadheads on squirrels. Had too many get away with blunts.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
We've just about got enough for a skwerl head stew! lol!

I've killed most of mine with rubber blunts but we're talking 10 yds or so and I use the large size blunts not the little plastic ones. Otherwise I like game nabbers, hex heads etc. I've been experimenting with some home made heads like mentioned here with slotted feild tips with band saw blade for a mini broadhead. Also have use old 3 blade Bodkins with the tip cut off. Hate digging broadheads out of trees!

Duncan
Member NCBA

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
Boy they are tough critters. Hit 2 hard and they kept going.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I've really enjoyed this thread.Those black squirrel pics are great.I think the two blade broadhead is the path I'll take, particularly since they will be on the ground. Judos are good but I have to finish too many off,disturbing other squirrels while doing so. I'm not good enough to take head shots and those body shots sure withstand punishing blows!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©