3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for TD users!  (Read 392 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for TD users!
« on: December 09, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
I regularly pack my TD, therfore putting the string on and off alot. Having missed three shots this season I believe one cause is inconsistant string lenght. I put a mark on the back of my top limb to check string lenght before string but still don't feel I'm getting consistantancy.

Any thoughts?

THanks Guys

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for TD users!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Consistency is more the product of practice, not equipment. imho

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
just do a brace height check after stringing. Some guys mark an arrow or arrows so they can nock it and then check the mark on the bow. I put a piece of string through the loops to keep if from untwisting while off the bow too.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
The best measure of "string length" after it's shot in is brace height. Just check it every time you newly string the bow and correct if it needs it.  That being said, agree with creekwood. A little variation in string length isn't going to cause a miss.  Misses are caused by operator error.  Good excuse though.   :bigsmyl:

Online last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
If your brace height is good it should be ready to go.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
You can have perfect form but if your brace hieght is diferrent every time you string the bow and you do it a lot. Boy arrow flight will never be consistent. If your brace hieght is off your nock point is off and this will cause arrow flight to change drasticly. It is a good thing you just missed. I can feel if my bow goes out by an 1/8" somtimes less and I am not kidding. Marking an arrow is a quick check but you need a bow square so you can make sure nock point is good.You can practice all you want but if nock and brace hieght are diffrent you will keep having the same results bad shots. Bow squares are not that big and are light and fit in a pack. If I am any distance from camp I have one and an extra string ready to go. If you leave it to chance the out come will more than likely be less than satisfactory.
Scott Teaschner
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
Times when you feel REALLY stupid. I do check my brace height any time the string is removed from the bow. It's the way I've been checking it that just hit me as one of the dumbest things I've done. I use a bow square, sitting on the shelf to measure the height of the nocking point. Then I've been "guestimating" the deepest part of the grip as it aligns with the brace height markings. Duh. Wonder why they make that square so you can slide it up and down the string? Maybe so I could slide it down so it lines up directly over the deepest part of the grip?
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Have a big paper clip handy. When you remove the string, hold both ends without letting it untwist. Place the ends together and paper clip them so they cant twist. This should keep your string the same length...

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Although my bow stays assembled and strung all the time I check with my hand for brace height. Do you tie the string ends together so it can't untwist?

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
when im taking my string on and off i take a bread sack tie and put my string ends together so it doesnt twist and untwist ,affecting brace hieght ,i also carry a bow square in my case and take a second to check the brace height everytime ! hope that helps
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
If your brace height adjusting 1/8 inch affects arrow flight your arrow spine or  nock point are not right.  I can adjust my brace height 1/4 inch high or low and not see any difference in arrow flight or point of impact. A twist or two extra will not change the nock point more than 1/32 of an inch.   If your bow / arrow set up is that sensitive you need to first check tuning.   Tuning will tell you if your spine is wrong or the nock point needs to be adjusted.   Shooting arrow set ups that are at the boundary of proper spine for your bow  can cause the variations you are discussing.

A local archer once told me the great thing about traditional archery is that the only thing you can blame for a miss is the ground connection.   A miss is not equipment based it is shooter based.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
if i need to temporarily take a string off any bow, i carefully make sure not to twist or untwist the string as the loops are lifted off the limb nocks, and keep it from doing so with a plastic baggie tie wrap through both loops.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
String it in the field, check brace ht, shoot couple practice arrows, recheck brace ht. Shooting those practice arrows is important, it makes sure everthing is seated properly. I personaly also check the nock pt height and tiller, to verify it all.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Wax your string Good with a Soft Beeswax, Toilet Ring, and You wont UnWind the String!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Harleywriter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Bowsquare.
Schafer Silvertip; Mahaska longbow; Highwood Hunter; Bear Super Kodiak and way too many others

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
Take your bowstring off and fold each loop through each other and join together for travel. It will stay the same length.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
I leave the string on the limbs, bottom one is captive with a limb protector and I slide the top one up the limb when I unstring it. I am careful to put them in their sleeve and into the safari case. When I reassemble the bow, I check the bh with a bow square.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
On my bottom limbs I use a black rubber nock protector on top limb a string keeper

I take off the limbs slid in case and I am just careful

Brace height does not change because string does not unwind
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
When I take my string off, I hold both loops together. Than gather the string and use a twist tie, all the while keeping the ends together.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I keep a piece of tape measure with my gear and check the brace before shooting.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©