3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New HH bow on the way!  (Read 503 times)

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
New HH bow on the way!
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
I just ordered a HH Big 5, 64" 45# at 28.  Ebony riser, black elk grip laced with dark wood tip overlays.   :)

For you HH shooters, do you all use split fingers or does anyone shoot 3 under?  I normally shoot 3 under.

Also do most HH owners shoot wood arrows or do people use carbon or aluminum?

Thanks!  I can't wait for this bow to get here!

Bill

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New HH bow on the way!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
Split finger and Surewood shafts

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
Bill-

Congrats, on the new bow! I personally use split fingers with wood arrows. I have found that woods are much easier to tune to the bow. My second choice is aluminum, because they have so many sizes to choice from.

I hope to see you join in on the Hill Thread.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
3 under, cedar shafts, Hill Halfbreed 66" 45# @ 28"   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
It looks HH is very busy lately!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Darren,

I'm not familiar with wood arrows.  When you mentioned that they are easy to tune, can you let me know your tuning methods?  I use GT 3555 carbon shafts right now and use various insert weights to tune.

Also any recommendation on good wood arrow vendors?

Thanks.

Bill

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
If your draw is 28 inches, get some fletched woodies spined 45-50#, cut to 29 inches BOP, put some 125 grain points on them and you're good to go. Straight bows are quite forgiving.  Could also go heavier in spine and arrows will still fly well.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
I shoot split finger and shoot both wood and carbon arrows. I like the more "traditional" aspect of the wood arrows but honestly I like shooting the carbons better.

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Sorry I forgot to mention that my LB DL IS 25.5 inches.  But the bow I'm getting is 45# at 28".

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
I shoot split with aluminum arrows. Yeah Craig is busy, that means in about six months their will be a buch of Hills for resale.

Offline tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I shoot split finger and Surewood shafts.  The Big 5 is my favorite Hill.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
I shoot 3-under with my Hills. All of them are tillered for it, too. Just ask Craig to tiller it for you that way. I shoot Douglas fir.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I just called Craig to have him set it up for 3 under.

CbCrow what did you mean when you there'll be whole bunch of Hills for sale in 6 months?  Does Craig do a special sale or something?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
I think CbCrow means that there are many fellows trying Hill longbows for the first time, partly or mainly due the monster Hill thread here. They don't suit everybody, and some of the new lads will decide to sell theirs after awhile and go back to recurves or deflex-reflex bows. I will say that they sure suit me, and I hope to buy more of them in the future. I will also agree with what Don Thomas wrote about longbows in Longbows in the Far North: Longbows are strict old school masters. I like longbows.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
3-under and carbons, but I'm gonna switch to Surewood Douglas Fir.  

Not sure if you are going to hunt with this bow, but at your draw length you may be below the minimum legal hunting weight in your state or others.  Here in NJ it is 35# minimum peak draw weight AT the shooters draw length.  If Craig hits the mark with 45#@28 you will be pulling about 37.5-40#.  

Now that said, Craig's bows often come in around 3-5# heavier than the listed draw weight.  You might want to talk to him and see what he recommends if you are worried about not being able to hunt with the bow.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
3 under here with Carbons. I will admit that the wood bug has been getting to me and am considering trying them out.

You are going to love your Hill Bow!!!!!
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
No plans on big game hunts with this bow just 3D and maybe small game.

Mainly for backyard fun.   :)

Offline SactoBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Ben,

I've tried recurves and still prefer longbows.  I had a Black Widow recurve as well as a Hoyt GM.  Both nice bows but for some reason I just wasn't consistent with them.  I tried a BW PL with their demo program and just shot it really well.  The longbow just feels nice and fits me perfectly.  So both recurves were sold and now I have a used Centaur double carbon on the way, a new ACS ACX carbon bow on order and the HH Big 5 to add to my BW PLX and a old 21st Century longbow.

If the HH bow is half as nice shooting as it looks, then you won't see mine for sale anytime soon.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Hmmmm...Ebony you say.  Perhaps you should modify your order to an Ebony risered Wesley Special with 5 lams of bamboo, straight grip, 68" and about #49@28" or so.  That way, if you don't like the bow I can take it off your hands for you at a hugely depreciated price.  That's ok, no need to thank me.        

Oh, and definately go with some woodies. Carbons off a classic Hill?     :eek:          :dunno:

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Congrats SactoBowman!!  I've shot hills both ways.  They seem to be very forgiving and like being shot split and 3 under.  However, I always feel more "traditional" shooting my HH style bows split.  With that said, I adhere to what Ron LaClair said on MBB to the effect of his objective being to "hit what he is shooting at using whatever method allows him to achieve that goal"...paraphrasing on my part...The Ekins are great to do business with and they make a fine product!  I bet you'll be having lots of fun!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©