3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picking the brains of you ground hunters.  (Read 629 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Picking the brains of you ground hunters.
« on: December 10, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
Okay, I know there are lots of you guys and gals who keep your feet firmly planted on the ground. I'd like to give it a try, but could certainly use some advice...something beyond "walk little/look much" if possible. Natural blinds, what to look for, what to sit on, etc. Pictures of your set-ups would be awesome too.

I hunt whitetails and turkeys, so that's my main concern. Do any of you get away with natural blinds for turkeys? I've always used pop-ups (a Hidden Hunter at present), but hate the lack of mobility. They are nice in crappy weather, but lots of times turkey season brings hot weather then it's like being in a toaster oven.

Shotgun season is on here, so we can't bow hunt now. Can you tell I'm getting bored already?   :banghead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picking the brains of you ground hunters.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Obviously he wind is a big issue. Beyond that I have found that clothing - mainly quiet clothing - is of the utmost importance. Stopping "for awhile" at a spot means making sure you have the right cover around you. Best bet is to read G. Fred Asbell's book on ground hunting.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline Cruiser78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Sorry I'm not going to be much help because "walk little/look much" is what I do most of the time. If I find a hot spot I'll set up in a natural blind or behind a tree & stay in the shadows.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
If I can do it, it isn't brain surgery. Obviously, using the wind to advantage is a given. And stealth is a must. If you are in very dry conditions, or the leaves make every step sound like you are stepping on corn flakes, you must pick every movement with care.  When I am in milder weather or milder country, I like wearing moccasins, where you can get a better feel for the ground than with stiffer soles. The quieter you can move, the better, but even then animals will spot movement, so those moves must be very slow. I use binoculars a lot when still hunting, searching what is ahead for any sign of an animal before making the next move.
I try to position myself when possible with some kind of cover so that my movement will be covered to some extent, and when the sun in low in the sky, I love to use it as a backlight if the wind is cooperative.  If you are in hilly country, stay away from the skyline if at all possible.
I personally think that quiet clothing is more important than camo, but I wear camo as well as wool plaid. It amazes me how well animals can hear, and on quiet days, your smallest sound carries remarkably far. You can get away with more when it is windy, but usually the animals are spookier then, so maybe that is a wash.
Stay in the shadows when you can; it is easier to not be seen. When your movement has been spotted, freeze and see if you can wait the animal out; it works a fair amount of the time.
After you take all these factors in, then you will still be busted regularly. It is all part of the fun of hunting from the ground.
Here is a picture of me in a typical 'ground blind'. I basically just get in the shadows and try to remain still. It works fairly often.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I like to scout a lot before the season.  Finding a hot area is important, but since you need to be so close with trad gear you really have to pinpoint the most well-worn trails and plan your ambush.  Of course the plan usually goes to hell once the season starts.    :dunno:

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Believe it can happen!!! The way I've come to think is that if I'm in the woods there's deer not far away. My bow never leaves my hand, except for you know what. Even then my eyes don't stop hunting nor my ears. I always move as quiet as possible even if not stillhunting, but just scouting. I want to see as many deer as possible anytime I'm in the woods, summer winter spring or fall.
Anytime while scouting I see deer/turkey I put the stalk on them carrying my imaginary bow, don't you know I always get a good shot too!
 As for blinds i keep it simple and try to use natural "hides", mainly large trunk trees. I try to set up so the deer is blinded by the tree as it approaches and the shot is after they pass but they don't always read the script so be ready. Lastly you need to see them first. Deer that see you often offer shots but they are risky at best as they will be "cocked" and ready to bolt.
 oh one last thing. If you see one deer plan on there being others.
 and one last last thing! Don't force it, but let it happen. Many of my best hunts are the "almost ones"!!
GOOD Luck and have FUN!

Offline Mac11700

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
First thing I do...is to get any and all maps of the area I am going into. Satellite images are great if they are current...and very useful..even if they aren't...it will give you a idea of how the area looks...so you can plan how you are going to hunt it..

I watch the weather reports...and make a note of the wind directions for the day I am planning to hunt...laying out the maps..and my most likely entrances and exits..

You do want to learn how to walk in leaf litter and sticks quietly...and this takes practice..Slow is always the word used...but there is more to it than just slow...it is the cadence of your steps that will alert animals..A steady walk...is just a damaging as not being stealthy...than any thing else..Learn how to not sound like a person walking through the woods..

Plan on getting several different types of clothing...to match what you are hunting around...while deer are color blind...having soft muted patterns that blend well and don't make noise when brushing up against things is a must..You can lay out in the open and be concealed with the right patterns...It's the movement and noise that will give you away...as well as your scent..Use a scent blocker spray...It works better than not using it....

Use natural blow downs..bushes..depressions to your advantage when ever you can..Why drag something around and have it out of place...The deer know the area better than you do...and being on their level gives them the advantage...Stay off of ridge tops where you can skyline your self..

One thing to remember...don't over dress...it's better not to be sweating...Layering is the best approach..and you can always take along extra to keep warm when you stop.

Mac

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Everyone else seems to have given any advice I would have. X2 on G. Fred Asbells Ground Hunting book. Lots of great info. Only thing to add is that I like using L.L. Bean Maine Hunting boot. Very quiet and you can feel the ground remarkably well. Great boot and they last a long time. Good luck!
Charley
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Here are the  mistakes I have made on the ground!

1.  Not staying put long enough

2.  Moving too much

3.  Not clearing enough around my feet to prevent noise

4.  Not clearing enough to allow free movement of the bow

5.  Not setting up a holder to place my bow in with arrow nocked

6.  Hunting with other guys who don't stay put long enough and having them walk up from one direction while the deer is coming from the other

7.  Not dressing warm enough

8.  Not slathering on enough bug repellent

9.  Shooting at some low priority animal (squirrel) just as an unseen deer is approaching

10.  Not getting to the blind early enough

11.  Getting to the blind too early

12.  Planning the perfect set up for the prevailing winds and then finding them not "prevailing" upon arrival

13.  Whittling on a piece of wood and not paying close enough attention to surroundings

14.  Setting up too close to the bedding area

15.  Setting up too close to the feeding area

16.  Being on the wrong beat-down trail while watching deer move by way out of range

17.  Being too close to the trail that they do use that day

18.  Using a noisey wrapper to pack lunch

19.  Misjudging how much the ground drops off in some of the travel lanes leaving a perfect view of the deers back or ears

20.  Not having something comfortable to sit on

As you can see, if you do things the opposite of my way, you will be well on your way to being successful!  ;)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Here are the  mistakes I have made on the ground!

1.  Not staying put long enough

2.  Moving too much

3.  Not clearing enough around my feet to prevent noise

4.  Not clearing enough to allow free movement of the bow

5.  Not setting up a holder to place my bow in with arrow nocked

6.  Hunting with other guys who don't stay put long enough and having them walk up from one direction while the deer is coming from the other

7.  Not dressing warm enough

8.  Not slathering on enough bug repellent

9.  Shooting at some low priority animal (squirrel) just as an unseen deer is approaching

10.  Not getting to the blind early enough

11.  Getting to the blind too early

12.  Planning the perfect set up for the prevailing winds and then finding them not "prevailing" upon arrival

13.  Whittling on a piece of wood and not paying close enough attention to surroundings

14.  Setting up too close to the bedding area

15.  Setting up too close to the feeding area

16.  Being on the wrong beat-down trail while watching deer move by way out of range

17.  Being too close to the trail that they do use that day

18.  Using a noisey wrapper to pack lunch

19.  Misjudging how much the ground drops off in some of the travel lanes leaving a perfect view of the deers back or ears

20.  Not having something comfortable to sit on

As you can see, if you do things the opposite of my way, you will be well on your way to being successful!   ;)  
Amazing! I've made most of these from a tree stand...plus a few more.

:knothead:
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
I carry a light weight portable stool that is comfortable. You need to  be comfortable to stay still.

Pack along some clippers/small saw to clear brush for shooting lanes and  a small garden hand rake to clear the ground for your feet.

Bring along a light weight leafy suit...works wonders.

Bring a couple of hangers for your bow or other items you need to keep in reach if you take a stand near some standing timber.

Use a grunt call periodically as you clip shooting lanes and clear the ground. Do these things slowly and try to sound like a deer or turkey working the woods.I called in a nice big buck once with the grunt call and he was on me before I even got my camo on. A whole different story. I didn't get him.

If I can get into some thick brush and have an idea where the deer will be traveling I try to get deep enough into it so they can't see me until I'm ready to shoot. Other than that sitting with my back to a tree or two works very well as long as I can remain still.

ALWAYS wear a face mask and cover your hands even if you are not a camo user.

Milkweed pods make it easy to see how the wind and thermals are working.

Most importantly....get to where the deer are going to be before they get there and make the first shot count.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Lots of excellent advice already posted. I've had good luck seeing deer and turkeys from the ground by sneaking around areas that I keep an eye on for minimal hunter pressure, finding freshly used trails and making quick natural blinds under White pines or natural blowdowns on the downwind side near edges of differing habitat (thick stuff/old cuts/mature timber)...
I've had nice bucks come to these set-ups within 5 minutes of sawing/pruning on brush and hanging a scent near the trail quartering upwind of my position several times. Good luck! Nothing like it!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
No sense me putting in my 2 cents,exellent info here.Stools a must,Centaur and monteray got her down pat.Only thing I could add is if your hunting out west in wide open spaces using a spotting scope .Stalking,wind,cover and sun really come into play,best of luck.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Good stuff, Bill! Keep them coming guys. That's what I'm talking about.   :thumbsup:
NRA Life Member

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Think like a deer.  #1 fault movement.  Most all other faults cause #1.  Well and there is that wind thing.    :D

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Have any of you tried the Deer Dander stuff that the Fitzgeralds hawk on their show? I see Cabelas carries it, but it's kind of pricey. I don't want to spend $20 plus shipping for a pig in a poke.
NRA Life Member

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
So far you have received some great tips. Here are a few more: Save your money, don't waste it on gimmicks like "Deer Gander" when corn will do the same thing and is a lot less expensive. Practice getting the bow into shooting position and releasing the arrow quickly with accuracy (your hunting not shooting 3-D). Get into shooting position and make your body outline as small as possible (drop to a knee; turn sideways, etc.)with a limited amount of movement. I love depressions and natural contours where most of my lower body is below ground level. Build your natural blinds well before the season so the animals can get use to them. Scout your hunting territory in the winter after the hunting season has ended(trails will be more easily seen).

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
So far you have received some great tips. Here are a few more: Save your money, don't waste it on gimmicks like "Deer Gander" when corn will do the same thing and is a lot less expensive. Practice getting the bow into shooting position and releasing the arrow quickly with accuracy (your hunting not shooting 3-D). Get into shooting position and make your body outline as small as possible (drop to a knee; turn sideways, etc.)with a limited amount of movement. I love depressions and natural contours where most of my lower body is below ground level. Build your natural blinds well before the season so the animals can get use to them. Scout your hunting territory in the winter after the hunting season has ended(trails will be more easily seen).
Good tips! I suspected the Deer Dander was more hype than help. I usually combine turkey hunting with deer scouting. In the spring when stuff is just starting to grow, the trails really stand out.
NRA Life Member

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
We can only offer suggestions.  The deer will teach you.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ground Hunter:
We can only offer suggestions.  The deer will teach you.
....so true!!!!

Lots of great advice above!!!
I'll be heading out shortly to hunt public ground from the ground  :)  
For me eye to eye hunting is humbling and fun!  :)
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©