3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picking the brains of you ground hunters.  (Read 631 times)

Re: Picking the brains of you ground hunters.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
I have shot dozens of deer in Iowa, all from the ground. Most important thing I look for is the proper cover and preferably somewhere that no one would want to put a tree stand. Most of the time it is the in the edge of one of our cedar clumps. Our Iowa versions are not really cedars like one would see out west, they are closer to junipers. They grow in tight clumps at times, but deer like to bed in and around them. More than half of my deer have been shot using them like a blind. I simply cut my way in and take the cuttings and stick them in the ground in front.  On state land it is not legal to damage trees, but quite often there is no need because the DNR has been cutting them down on our hill sides as they are considered to be an invasive species on our prairie hills.
My other trick is to make my self as comfortable as possible, Huntmore chair. The set up works just as well for turkeys.

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Spending to much time looking at the ground. I use to scan a ton at the ground so I wouldnt step on sticks. well buy a good pair of binos like swaros or the like with good eye relief and glass ahead of that next patch of cover. always look for the bedded deer or elk. look for a ear or antler tip at a range beyond your bow. Wind is huge. scent control is a big one as well . learn the wind in the area you hunt know the way the wind will change though out the day especially in the elk woods temp inversions change the wind and you need to be in the right place when that happens. when the wind is swirling in the afternoon I just hunt in clean gear and I wash in hunter soap with no perfumes. I also belive in spraying my clothing with UV killer. Take your clothing under a black light and you will see the differance. This is huge in the dark timber.
also foot ware is a big deal as well, Large warm cluncky boots will not work. I like a danner grouse boot with a bob sole for quiet stalking My son takes it a step further by hikeing into a area he is going to hunt and then switching over to water slip on shoes, Light steps are key to getting close. I have snuck up and killed a Mt lion using these tips. it'll work for you.
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Waldrop Seat!

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
You dont want the deer to approach you directly.  You want them off to the side.  There like us they look where thier going.  Once their even w/ you its amazing how much easier it gets.

I like to be behind the cover not in it.  I like to keep it between us.  I'll almost always be on both knees as low as I can get.

Ive tried getting in the blowdowns.  It works sometimes.  There seem to be some deer that will always eyeball these very hard.  Bet theyve encountered danger in them before.

As for turkeys it seems to vary property to property for me.  Some places I wouldnt dream of not using a blind.  Others I wouldnt bother to carry one.  Goodluck

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Ghillie suit.

If not that, at least get an army booney hat and stick junk in the loops to break up the round (predator look) shape of your noggin.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by LKH:
Ghillie suit.

If not that, at least get an army booney hat and stick junk in the loops to break up the round (predator look) shape of your noggin.
The Ghillie is intriguing, but I can't get over the fear of catching my bowstring in that stuff. I've had the string catch the string on my hooded sweatshirt while practicing and it is not a pleasant experience. Not only does the string flip back and hit me in the face, but the arrow does all kinds of weird stuff. I'm lucky if it hits the bag target. I know you have to trim the chest and inside of the bow arm, but what happens when you have to severely cant the bow to make a shot? I've looked at the leafy suits and think those might be an option though. Those would be more for turkeys than deer though. As long as they don't spot movement, deer have a tough time finding me, even in wool plaid camo.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
I have shot dozens of deer in Iowa, all from the ground. Most important thing I look for is the proper cover and preferably somewhere that no one would want to put a tree stand. Most of the time it is the in the edge of one of our cedar clumps. Our Iowa versions are not really cedars like one would see out west, they are closer to junipers. They grow in tight clumps at times, but deer like to bed in and around them. More than half of my deer have been shot using them like a blind. I simply cut my way in and take the cuttings and stick them in the ground in front.  On state land it is not legal to damage trees, but quite often there is no need because the DNR has been cutting them down on our hill sides as they are considered to be an invasive species on our prairie hills.
My other trick is to make my self as comfortable as possible, Huntmore chair. The set up works just as well for turkeys.
Pavan, where the heck are you in Iowa? I certainly enjoy your posts and knowledge of traditional archery. I'm in the north central part, about 15 miles from Minnesota and 8 miles from I35. Might be fun to get together an fling some arrows sometime or at least BS over a cup of coffee (one of my few remaining vices   :rolleyes: ).  

I hunt mostly an hour SE of here though, where I grew up.  There are very few cedars in the river bottom land I hunt most of the time.

I've looked at the Huntmore chair, but man $220 for a chair    :scared: . I just haven't been able to get my mind around that one yet.      "[dntthnk]"
NRA Life Member

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I try to match my terrain, where I hunt mainly lots of green and brown foilage! Play the wind, and when building natural blind make sure there is ample room to manuever and to shoot a bow, background cover is very important! Sometimes they make you no matter what you do!Its funny I have watched deer this year that did not have clue that I am there, and other times those damn mature, or what I call "Lookout" does will bust me every time!LOL
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Welcome back to the ground, its much safer. I've had more shot opportunities from the ground. IMO, when it comes to ground blinds, "Keep it Simple", use the brush thats around you and if you need more structure then bring some string or cable ties and set the blind up to your preferences.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
my favourite trick was taught to me by "calgary chef" on this forum.
i dig a hole in the ground- knee deep and big enough for my feet to fit comfortably into- the perfect chair- and animals just dont seem to see you as the same thing when you are only half a person.
back the setup into some good brush or whatever as a backdrop- and keep your front well open and clear for shooting.
you can carry one of those small army type shovels with you- and it only takes a few minutes.fresh dirt- good cover scent too.
remember to close the hole when you are done- so no small critters get trapped.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
my favourite trick was taught to me by "calgary chef" on this forum.
i dig a hole in the ground- knee deep and big enough for my feet to fit comfortably into- the perfect chair- and animals just dont seem to see you as the same thing when you are only half a person.
back the setup into some good brush or whatever as a backdrop- and keep your front well open and clear for shooting.
you can carry one of those small army type shovels with you- and it only takes a few minutes.fresh dirt- good cover scent too.
remember to close the hole when you are done- so no small critters get trapped.
How does that work with a longbow, I'm wondering?
NRA Life Member

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
just a five gallon bucket next to a large tree with logs stacked in front.

just throw theese together near trails, and you allways got a spot to sit for a couple hours in the evening..

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
i threw this one together in about 10 minutes

its the dark spot on the right

it wasnt 30 minutes later when this doe walked past me on my right side about 4 yds away headed to the water.

this was last year...

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
small steps,( 1 foot or so) move everything slow, not just your feet. my goal is to be moving slower than anything else out there. watch the squirrels, if you are doing it right they won't even go up a tree. a cross wind is good, look behind you also, sun somewhere other than in your face.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Congrats arrow30!!  What kind of bow were you shooting?  Looks kind of cool and compact!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I just got in from ground hunting on public land.  Very fun!!  Had fat forky come within about 15 yds, but alas we are only allowed spikes and does.  I saw a couple of studs at a distance.  Heard some pigs.  Saw lots of cool birds.  Missed a walking "alert" doe at about 22 yards.  She stopped walking and whirled off at the "thump" of my shot, but honestly I would have missed her anyway.  My bow arm was busy doing a 45 at the shot.  My longbow is not speaking to me or my bow arm at this time  :)  LOL!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Biggest thing is try not to have deer approach right toward you. keep your hand on your bow at all times. don't move until you have to except for scanning your area. I hunt simple, don't need a lot of stuff or a big crazy blind.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
kestimater, thats a kodiak mag.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
Great pictures, guys and nice job on the whitetails. Jerry, you really hide in plain sight in that shot. That's what I want to do. If I hunt anymore this year, it will be in the snow though. I still think my Wooltimate or my wool plaid will do the trick if the wind will cooperate.

Thanks for all the responses. This was just what I had hoped for.

Russ
NRA Life Member

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
30 coupe- works just fine for me and i shoot 68" selfbows.
you might have to cant a bit depending on your shot angle
its not the only answer- but just one more to add to the arsenal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©