3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ted Fry's Nifty Nocker..?  (Read 133 times)

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
Ted Fry's Nifty Nocker..?
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
So who uses this thing and has experience with it?

I just bought one and am just getting around to using it, so far I've done 4 arrows and they aren't coming out very well at all.

First problem is I think the hacksaw cut(long cut) in the jig is way too wide and allows for too much error. I watched his video and it's no help at all about this. Should you use 2-3 hacksaw blades taped together? Reason I ask is even once I get one sawed straight and inline(which is hard to do)the collect won't  go back over the shaft once the hardwood insert is inserted which makes me think more than one hacksaw blade needs to be used in the first place. And if that's not the issues then it's just a poor design in the first place and that cut in the jig should be just big enough to fit one hacksaw blade...not sure but it looks like 4 would fit.

Any input is appreciated.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Ted Fry's Nifty Nocker..?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »
after locking in the nifty jig i cheat a little and run the insert slot through a band saw twice - just makes it go faster.  then i use a doubled hacksaw to finish up and clean out the slot and either epoxy or yellow glue in the hardwood insert (i use slats of red oak that i size on a drill press using a robo jig).  i basically do the same for the string slot.  it comes out purty good, but i's a lotta work and takes a buncha time.  it would probably go faster using thick cya glue.  

this is the first one i did, poc with red oak insert, kinda crude but not too bad - i've since done better ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Ihe Nifty Nocker comes with a saw that fits the groove.  It is a tile saw and is sold at hardware stores, the saw fits the groove so that you get a straight cut.  If Ted sees this maybe he will chime in with more info.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brently:
Ihe Nifty Nocker comes with a saw that fits the groove.  It is a tile saw and is sold at hardware stores, the saw fits the groove so that you get a straight cut.  If Ted sees this maybe he will chime in with more info.
Got that, am talking about the play in the hacksaw side.

First problem is I think the hacksaw cut(long cut) in the jig is way too wide and allows for too much error.
:readit:

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
Got it figured out, case of H.U.B syndrome on my end.
   :banghead:

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
Hi Mike , Sorry been out a few days , glad you got it figured out .
If you need any help with it feel free to contact me at the store and I will walk you through the process.
Nice looking arrow Rob! One word of caution on the ca glue, if you plan on staining the shaft dont use ca , it will keep the stain from getting to the wood so you will have a blotchy look where the glue is.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Thx Ted. Yeah no issues it was me. It's working fine and I'll post some pics of my results soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©