3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: howard hill broadheads  (Read 143 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
howard hill broadheads
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
anyone shoot howard hill broadheads from 3 rivers
I like the way they look an I was wondering how do they sharpen an fly thanks Ed

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: howard hill broadheads
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »
I tried them some years back. Due to the high ferrule, I could never get them razor sharp. They flew great because of the 3:1 ratio but never got them as sharp as I like.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
I'm with Joe...they fly like field points but getting them real sharp was something I never could master.  I did kill a big old doe with one.  It blew threw her so fast I thought I missed.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
They do fly good. Wish there were more of the 3 to 1 ratio heads

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
I hunt with them sometimes.  I get them from Howard Hill Archery.  They fly great! If you have or get the TradGang Hunting DVD, there is a good tutorial on how to sharpen HH broadheads.  You basically take down or reduce the ferule with a file to achieve the proper angle and edge on your HH broadheads.
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I loved mine, but as everyone says hard to sharpen, but fly awesome.  I like to use the simmons sharpener and KME, works better but work

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
There are some compound shooters that swear by them. Apparently, according to them, it is difficult to get arrows to to fly good at extreme speeds.   The fellows I talked to sharpen them exactly as the directions from Hill archery advise and they think they are as deadly as anything they have ever used.  The standard Hills can be made shaving sharp, but it takes work. I have done it with a Dremel tool with using a variety of the sharpening Dremel bits.  I always started out with a 6 inch file mounted on a handle and leaned on the ferrule on all sides to put a good flat spot on it. Then I used the Dremel.  They are not the best choice if you want to use standard sharpening methods to get a shaving edge, but I have killed a number of deer with the standard Hills sharpening them exactly how Hill sharpened his head and was always surprised how effective they were. I make my own single bevels from Hill pieces and parts that we got in a large order some years back, and I find those to be much easier to get really sharp because the bevel angle is much narrower.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I used to sharpen them with a little shaver sharpener, I think there were 3 different angles on it and one of them would just miss the ferrule. When the head was done you would just start removing material from the ferrule. I'm pretty sure a KME knife sharpener would work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©