3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool on a budget  (Read 664 times)

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool on a budget
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Think about it this way, if you buy stuff like Filson, it will last you a life time and more... it is  a bit of an investment to start with, but it is cheep on the long run! What are you looking for? Mrs Asbel wool is really sheep for the quality of the product!!

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
I've bought Filson items on online auctions and even Goodwill!  Never pay full price!
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I have the same problem you have....so I found 3 great wool sweaters at Cabelas bargain cave for 10 bucks apiece...

Then found some M1951 army wool pants for 6 bucks on ****...

then found an old german wool field hat in a surplus store for 5 bucks...

and an old army wool scarf for 3 bucks....

all for less than 50 bucks......

What size are you? Send me a PM if you are large or XL......I may be able to help you if you dont mind wearing an old brown Army wool sweater....

Russ

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
This may be a bit off the mark for wool clothing, but I picked up a pair of those German wool felt overpants for$30 or so from aCheaper than Dirt flyer. Had a zipper installed on the bottom inside 12" of the leg so I can slip them on over my boots. For REAL winter weather, they can't be beat. Talk about warm!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »

I picked up this sweet L.L. Bean wool shirt for $7.95 at a thrift store along with a Eddie Bauer wool vest for $5.95 one day. I get all my hunting "camo" at the thrift stores. Good stuff!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I guess I am not the only one with wool radar in the thrift stores!!

It's about all I am looking for in there, and I have found some sweet Pendletons, Merino wool sweaters, and nice colors too.

I just walk down the aisles looking for the texture of wool and earth tone plaids.

I have had less luck finding good pants than shirts and sweaters. It is harder to find the right fit, but there are definitely some good wool cargo pants from time to time.

You might still need to buy wool underlayers new...
Good luck

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
The german wool pants everyone is mentioning are top notch and as good as the pricier ones.  I just let a pair go on the classifieds here for cheap...and there are almost always some great deals here.   Just start a little at a time, and before you know it, you'll be selling your "outgrowns" on here like some of the rest of us.

Hey Tracy....I just got a shirt just like that one on the "big auction" site for a song and a dance (easy for me).  There are indeed some great deals out there.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
What size are you, may have a shirt or 2 that could fit your bill   :readit:    ;)    ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
I won a bid last night on a pendleton. A little more that i wanted to spend, but i loved the color/pattern, haha.

I also got an early Christmas gift today and it was a Woolrich Buffalo shirt. Loving it so far. It was on sale, but still expensive. I plan on hitting the Goodwill soon.

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I wear a L or XL depending on the sizing. PM me and let me know what you have. Really not looking to buy until after christmas, but don't hurt to look. Thanks!

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Just like the previous posts. Check the "Goodwill". I have found and still use the wool sweaters, and Mackinaw Jacket I bought for pennys on the dollar.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
I get mine at thrift shops etc.And then through much experimentation make my own tye dye camo.Works good,and is fun to boot.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
Search "CPO Jacket" if you are on the big auction site.  We complained as kids because we thought they looked dorky but we stayed warm. Usually have big plaid patterns that make great noncamo camo. Turns out my Dad (old school Adirondack hunter) knew a thing or two about a thing or two. That applied to a lot more than wool!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Perry PM sent.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I picked up nice columbia gallatin range pants and shirt/jac for 5 bucks apeice at a garage sale this summer.  Also wool shirts show up often.  I have worn wool dress pants from goodwill or thrift stores, garage sales for years.    Went to one garage sale that had 20 wool shirts on the rack. Most were too small for me but I put them on my boys for 7 bucks a pop.  Nice plaid (camo) designs.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I just found a wool sweater at Goodwill about 30 minutes ago. It was a bit too small (looks like a Large that had been shrunk). It was only $5 so I bought it, cut the sleeves off, and now have a wool vest. I can probably so the sleeves together and make wool scarf/gaiter.

This is fun.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 06:13:00 PM »
A few weeks ago Cabela's had a sale on Pendleton wool shirts I got a $90.00 shirt for $49.00...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Goodwill is awesome.  People throw out perfectly good wool that is slightly shrunk, small repairable tears, or probably just too itchy for them.  Look for 100% wool items and a nice thin merino wool sweater is the best base layer.  Rarely do you pay more than $5 for anything.

I've picked over my local stores, but I often stop in a random one when I'm traveling.

I use Asbell wool as the outer layer and goodwill for the base and underlayers.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
im in the same boat Perry, not for five tho. I want to make my own wool clothing, but dont know where to buy the heavy good wool. anyone have any clue where to look?
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Personally, I do not get cold all that easy. I have hunted all the way up to Northern Ontario. Personally, I will not buy an entire wool outfit mainly because I would not get good use from it. But, I do use wool sweaters (and very good underlayers)that I have purchased from army/navy surplus. These are nice in that they are form fitted which is a plus for archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©