3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The biggest whitetail you ever missed  (Read 577 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
The biggest whitetail you ever missed
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Been shooting trad for 3 years now and the very first time i hunted with a recurve i had a 110in 10 pointer come in behind me to my left and stopped 12 yards away.

I have shot a ton of deer with a wheel bow but nothing has ever came close to how excited i got even though he jumped the string.

The next weekend i shot and killed a nice fat 8 pointer at 28 yards from the ground and saw him fall, man what a feeling.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The biggest whitetail you ever missed
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Very, very, nice 8 point, probably a 150’s class buck. Missed him at 15 yards, looked up at the rack one last time and that was exactly where the arrow went. Man just wanted to jump up and down and scream. Oh well. Love to tell you that was back in the days before I learned better, but it was just this year. Guess I'll never learn.Sure had my heart going though.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
If you haven't misseed, you haven't hunted very much.  Congrats on the 8 pointer!
"They're all trophies"

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Missed a mainframe 10 pointer with about 4 or 5 extra points earlier this season.  Somewhere between 150"-160". Shot was in line with the vitals but about 4 inches over his back.  Completely my fault.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Big 12 point and a big 10 point in 2010. Misses happen if you hunt enough, sometimes in the heat of the moment we do not do what we are supposed to do,LOL.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
This is my first trad year, I missed a buck bodied 8 pointer and a small doe the same day I kill my big 10. I am sure I will miss many more with trad gear.

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Missed a 180+ at 20 yds with a recurve....biggest deer I've ever seen on hoof.  It still gives me nightmares.
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
170 class whitetail, 10 yards, hit a small twig and arrow landed at his feet. I've replayed that scene many times in my head. Never saw that buck again.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
No big whitetails to speak of, but I managed to blow a couple of shots at mule deer that would have scored in the 170s or more. One was at about 10 yards after a very long stalk.   :knothead:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
I have missed a lot of deer but the biggest would have to be a nice 8 point a few years ago. The biggest animal I have ever missed was a Kudu bull in Africa. I was heartbroken but got lucky because he came back in and I did not miss on the second chance.

Bisch

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
This fall I hit a twig that I had not noticed and watched my arrow go up and wag its tail over the back of the nicest buck I've had in shooting range. I don't really look at the rack much once I decide I'm going to take a shot, so I have no idea how many points he had...plenty, I'd say. He was also a really big bodied deer. We get lots of those here, but the shotgun boys have a hard time letting them get old enough to know that most of the time.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I am not sure on that one.  I do know that every time I tell the story he gets a little bigger.  At some point I am going to have to say that it was an elk that walked under my stand. LOL   :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
A big tall tined wide 10. I normally draw 29" but on that shot I drew 24". Shot right under him at 20 yards    :banghead:

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
I missed this guy 2 times in the three years that I hunted him both shots should have been chip shots. Then I found him dead last spring. Somethings just are not made to be.

Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
This 23rd of November, I separated a true giant from some of his chest hair. A solid 170" typical with at least another 20" of junk going everywhere.  I'm still nauseated.   :knothead:    :D  

Had a great season none the less!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
whitetail, a doe. Muleys are a whole nuther story. I have missed 2 that haunt me, a legitimate 180" muley and a one horned non typical that if he had both sides would have been pushing 40". I miss the good ole days for muleys for sure.

Edit: I should say does hehe  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
In '92 I choked bad on a southern GIANT Iowa whitetail. The farmer killed him that fall with a shotgun. He scored just over 190. I hated myself for the longest time untill I realized how LUCKY I was to even get crack at him. I missed him at a whopping 12 yards away broadside. He looked like a pickket fence coming through the timber with 14 perftic points.

doug77

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Biggest whitetail, 4 pointer would have scored around 15 or 16".....1971 with a Browning Nomad Stalker.........last shot I had!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
I don't want to talk about it.   :bigsmyl:   Missed a pretty nice 10-point this year.  Not the first nice deer I've missed, but I hadn't missed one in a while.  It stings.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Last fall during a rather windy day. As soon as the arrow cleared the tree line, it started taking a hard left. The fletch brushed his butt. It's amazing how high and how quick a buck pushing 250# can jump up and do a 180 in mid air and land to see what just goosed him. How big was he? He was one of those that you know immediately is a big un'.
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©