3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow string making?  (Read 335 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow string making?
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I have made many strings and for the most part I have the bow with me when I make them and don't have a problem with the serving placement but I seemed to have a problem when I make a string for someone and send it out.  The serving is almost never in the right place.  Mostly it is too low.  Is there a rule of thumb for serving a string as far as the distance from the top or bottom loop goes.  I always measure to the middle of the string and started two inches high and serve until I had an 8" serving.  This doesn't always work out.  Thanks

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow string making?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
The shelf of most bows is about two inches above the center of the bow, so if you only serve two inches above the center of the string, your serving will be low almost every time.

I usually start the serving about two inches above the shelf. If you are making strings without the bow, just try centering your serving on the string and you should be pretty close with an 8" serving.

Most ready made strings come that way.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I measure to the center of the string, back up 3" toward the bottom loop, then serve 8".  'Course you can also ask--some customers specify serving placement, especially with short servings.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
I go 4" up from center of the string measured from bottom loop. I add more if the bow has an elevated rest. I make my serving 7.5 inches long.
Jack Shanks

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
I measure to the center of the string, back up 3" toward the bottom loop, then serve 8".  'Course you can also ask--some customers specify serving placement, especially with short servings.
There you go. Take it from one who really knows!
NRA Life Member

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
The shelf on most glass laminated bows are cut 1 1/4-inch above center.  2 inches is more common on self-bows.  Jack's formula is what I use.  LBR's is almost the same. Ends up being a little higher.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
what chad said - start at 3" above center (on the top loop side), then serve down for 7" or 8" (towards the bottom loop).  

i always serve clockwise (as viewed from the top of the string loop to bottom loop) for a right string hand archer as that compresses the serving tighter.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
There are some rare exceptions.

My serving machine is set for 3.5" above center on top limb, not bottom, as I think Chad mistakenly wrote, and Rob corrected in post.

As for direction of serving, I don't think matters as long as it's served good and tight, and tied off with proper overwrap.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Nope--wasn't a mistake.  I measure to the center of the string, back up 3" toward the bottom loop, then serve 8" up.  That's worked for me for years--just recently had someone ask me to move the serving 1"--HIGHER.

Chad

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
In "doing the twist" Joe describes it as measure up 5" on longbow (4" on recurve) from center and serve down (toward bottom loop) to 7.75".
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I guess I'm somewhat in line with others...find the middle and start 4" lower and work up 8" to 8.5" in total length.  

Might start 3.5" low and go up 8" total in the future.

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Oliverstacy:
I guess I'm somewhat in line with others...find the middle and start 4" lower and work up 8" to 8.5" in total length.  

Thanks,

Josh
Why is that, Josh? I don't really need much serving above my nock point because about all that contacts the string up there is my index finger. I like most of it below because that's the part of the string that can hit my arm/arm guard. The serving saves a lot of wear on the string. I wouldn't probably need it on my recurves, since they are braced higher and rarely contact my arm, but longbows are another story. Howard Hill didn't wear an arm guard to make a fashion statement, lol!
NRA Life Member

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:

Thanks,

Josh
Why is that, Josh?  [/b]
I guess I don’t have a great answer to your question other than when I first started I had no idea exactly where to place it…so many variables.  Asked a friend that built bows and he told me to find the center and serve 3” above and 3” below.  He liked to serve the string with a smaller section than I preferred so I initially starting with 4” below and 3 to 3.5” above…it evolved into 4” both ways, with some really long strings getting close to 9”.  The extra is on the top side.  I have 1 person that I build for that has me start 1” higher…3” below and 5” above center…great guy and has bought a lot of strings from me.

I guess it was to cover all bases…3 under shooters, high nock points and shooting off a rest (I learned to build strings from my friend and believe it or not I only built 1 at his house and the rest were trial and error at mine).  I was a lot of error…more than I care to remember!!!  Since I live 2+ hours from him I then went looking on the Internet and watch videos on how to serve and how to start and end servings.  Learned a ton from people on here…LBR, Frank Bullitt and so many others!  Probably should have purchased “Doing the Twist”!

I guess I’d rather have too much than too little (on either end) and 4” each way seems to work for most…but if I read Chad’s posts correctly he starts 3” below center (bottom loop/limb) and goes up 8” so are they even higher than mine?
I guess I don’t know…probably just added more confusion to both you, me and I’m sure some others!

Thanks,

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »

I guess I don’t know…probably just added more confusion to both you, me and I’m sure some others!

Thanks,

Josh
Nope, I was just wondering. See, I only have to please me when I make a string. You have to please customers    :readit:

I know where I need the serving due to my shooting style. It works for me, but might not for others. I've built some strings for my kids bows, but they weren't about to complain about free strings.   :rolleyes:
NRA Life Member

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
While we are on the subject of string making, what serving tool do you guy's prefer?  I haven't tried to make a flemish string, but I really want to at some point.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by mikebiz:
While we are on the subject of string making, what serving tool do you guy's prefer?  I haven't tried to make a flemish string, but I really want to at some point.
Bearpaw Serving tool...I guess I'm use to them.  Tried a few others but keep coming back to them.

Bearpaw at KK  

Thanks,

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
See, I only have to please me when I make a string. You have to please customers  
That's the "catch".  If the customer wants to specify serving placement, no problem.  If you are lucky enough to have the bow in hand so you can check, no problem.  But...most of the time you don't have either of these luxuries, and you have to go with what you know will work--even if it means a little extra just to be safe.

...  what serving tool do you guy's prefer?  
For me it's the Cajun, hands down.  I have 30 or 40 of them in use right now (every size, type, color, etc. serving I have has it's own serving tool), and at least 20 or so extras just in case.  They aren't very expensive, are very adjustable, and last.

I like to modify mine with a longer bolt in the center so I can add 4-6 fender washers.  The added weight is nice.  These things are near bomb-proof...I'm still using the ones I started out with several years and thousands of strings ago.

I'm sure there are other quality tools, I'm just the type that when I find something I like I stick with it.  The Cajun is the one I'm using in "Doin' the Twist" and "How to Build a Great Bowstring".

Chad

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
While your on the subject of winding the serving on the string, I think it's very important to note that the serving should always be wound in the same directional rotation as the string is wound. For eg. if the string is wound clockwise because of the way it was made to get the correct length, the serving should also be wound the same rotation direction. This way, when the string creeps and you have to twist it up a few turns to maintain your brace height, you are tightening the serving onto the string. If you wind the serving on the string the opposite direction, you will loosen the serving. I hope this makes sense and not confusing you.   :thumbsup:   Lloyd

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »

...  what serving tool do you guy's prefer?  
For me it's the Cajun, hands down.  

Chad [/b]
Same here. I just never found one that looked like it was an improvement and most are way more expensive. I don't believe it can be worn out.
NRA Life Member

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »

See, I only have to please me when I make a string. You have to please customers  
That's the "catch".  If the customer wants to specify serving placement, no problem.  If you are lucky enough to have the bow in hand so you can check, no problem.  But...most of the time you don't have either of these luxuries, and you have to go with what you know will work--even if it means a little extra just to be safe.

Chad [/b]
Bingo!  

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement