3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dude what is up with you & that bow!  (Read 583 times)

Offline Cruiser78

• Trad Bowhunter
Dude what is up with you & that bow!
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
That is what I heard from a coworker/bowhunter (compound shooter) friend of mine today at work when we were talking about goose hunting. Some people just don't get it. I thank I'll take it as a compliment. Has anyone else heard this before?
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dude what is up with you & that bow!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Yep, just yesterday from my wife, we're driving over Loup Loup Pass and all I'm talking about is shooting snow shoe hares, looking for good spots, tracks, etc as we're driving:

"You are like a 12 year old with his first .22. No creature is safe."
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Oh, Yes! I will hunt anything with my longbow...as long as it is legal and ethical. I went dove hunting with my longbow this year and all my buddies (even some trad shooters) told me I was nuts.

Bisch

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
Yeh, I asked if cottontails were still legal when I saw one scoot across the ranch rode on the ride in for a turkey hunt last April.   My friend (who only brought his shotgun and left his compound at home)  thought I was crazy, but before the end of the hunt he came running into the kitchen to tell me a cottontail was out by the hole behind the house.  Then watched the whole event through the window.  He was almost as excited as I was when I hit it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Been listening to this stuff for years.  This season was no different...actually could have been a litte worse as I missed a good mid 130" 10 pt during the rut (shot under him) and had a couple guys that just couldn't resist rubbing salt in the wound in a group email.  "Bout time you step outta the stone ages and get something with sights on it".  With a couple of nice explatives that I usually save for special occasions I told him to "mind your own business as to the weapon I choose to hunt with..now go murder something with your Howitzer this weekend and leave me out of it"
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by LoweBow:
Been listening to this stuff for years.  This season was no different...actually could have been a litte worse as I missed a good mid 130" 10 pt during the rut (shot under him) and had a couple guys that just couldn't resist rubbing salt in the wound in a group email.  "Bout time you step outta the stone ages and get something with sights on it".  With a couple of nice explatives that I usually save for special occasions I told him to "mind your own business as to the weapon I choose to hunt with..now go murder something with your Howitzer this weekend and leave me out of it"
:biglaugh:    :laughing:    Good stuff Mike!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline chuckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
yes me too, but i took a nice mature 9 point last year with the recurve (during rifle season) and its at the top of my all time list ! Well worth all the remarks! Chuck.
2010 ASA  
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I work in the firearms industry...I hear plenty.  Doesn't bother me a bit because I (and they) know whats what.  Folks like to poke fun at us but trust me, when they are talking about hunting with other folks they always like to mention their hardcore buddy that does it the old fashioned way.

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
Most compound shooters I talk to think its really cool that I hunt trad. There was maybe 1 or 2 people who said they would never hunt trad because of the missing or wounding of animals. What they don't understand is most trad shooters shoot year round and are very proficient with they're weapons. I can outshoot many compound shooters who only practice during hunting season. And I'm an average shot.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
One response that sticks in my head is "I want to kill the animal not wound it" Guess some folks just don't get it.
Richard Battistoni

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
My eldest son (with his compound) shot over a coyote and two does, then nicked a buck in the chest when he had to lean a bit in the blind and was looking past his peep instead of through it. He did get a doe from his tree stand.

My youngest son killed a young doe, then missed a nice buck, and single lunged one at six yards that he did not recover. He had converted from traditional to compound because his new job left him less time to practice. I told him he should go back to his Kanati and Woodsmans. He killed a nice 12 point 150+ buck with that two years ago.

They are both pretty good shots, but shooting a compound certainly doesn't guarantee kills. They both know that now.

Most of the guys I know who hunt with compounds are kind of in awe of anyone who shoots a traditional bow. Many can't understand how you can hit something without the use of sights, range finders, etc. I have to say, I've never had anyone disparage me or my bow for my choice of weapon.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Cruiser78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I don't think he meant any disrespect. It's just most people around here thanks a bow is for deer & nothing else.
I enjoy shooting my bow & try to hunt with it as much as I can.
I have noticed at local 3-D shoots that there is a big difference between wheel guys & trade guys in that most trade guys hold onto there bows (me included) at the end of the shoots rather then put them in their trucks or hang them on th racks. I know for me it's because I like to have it with me there might be something I want to shoot. With the wheel guys the 30 targets have been scored from the appropriate stake & their little score card is filled out they're  done.
Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Me and a friend of mine are suppose to do some pheasant hunting with our bows. So I was discussing this with a couple coworkers and they thought I was nuts. I get that all the time. I dont hunt anything with a gun and they think I'm crazy. Thats ok though, I kind of like it that way!

Jason

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
I have heard my share of it but I have also had folks stop in to shoot a longbow or recurve. It is pretty cool when you see the light go on inside their heads and you see them a year later "wheelless".

For those that think it is some type of "wound not kill" weapon I invite them to dinner at my home, we look at some deer heads on the wall and discuss what actually killed those deer..usually a double hemopneumothorax launched from a longbow or recurve  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I always say "Yes, I hunt with REAL bows". That always gets a grin from them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
my own dad has been pressing me to hunt with something else other than " that recurve". he also told me about a deal on a wheelbow and a x bow.that i would be better off with a x bow. i told my dad that i shoot my recurve just fine. he called it antique technology, and i should take a look at the xcaliber x bow, i laughed. i told him his idea was just as antiquated as my recurve lol rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
Not that but I do hear "you killed that deer with that bow."

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Classic archery - Choice of Pros (Eat or die pros) for at least 40,000 years......
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Yeah, I have had to endure the occasional sarcastic cracks at the range like "look, he's shooting a REAL bow". Of course theres no danger of me shooting any aspirin out the air with it but they usually quieten up when I start shooting.
Member NCBA

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
my buddy came down today hes a wheelie guy we were shooting the breeze about squirreling. i told him im going with the bow. he looks over at my longbow and says let me see that stick thing you shoot with this stupid look on his face. so i handed it to him. it weighs about 2ish pounds at most never weighed it. he gives it a lil shake still stupid look on his face. he says so what are you going to shoot with this stick thing you call a bow. then he starts to pull it back his face changed a bit. when he got it back to full draw and tried to hold it like his bow his eyes got big and he started to shake wildly. i laughed at him and said thats a real bow. he agreed.  
think he got a whole new perspective on trad bows today. he shoots 55# with 65% let off.
my bow is 52# 28 he did not hold it long was funny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©