3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my Ultralight Tree Saddle and Titanium bolts  (Read 558 times)

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
my Ultralight Tree Saddle and Titanium bolts
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I have a really light weight saddle setup that people have asked me about, so I thought I would post it here (and on AT).  I use an Ambush saddle with the shoulder straps cut off.  I use a climbing rope and carabiner as my tether.  I use a Lone Wolf stick tension strap as my lineman's belt.  I use a Woody hunting hand drill and custom made Titanium Treehopper-style bolts.  

Regarding the Titanium pegs… I had them custom made from a company called Mettec. (mettec.com)
I worked with a nice fellow named Dave to get them exactly like I wanted. Here are the details:

The material is aircraft grade Titanium. As strong as grade 8 steel, 47% lighter and will never corrode.
3/8” x 6.5”
Each bolt weighs 1.88 ounces

The business end of the bolt has one inch of coarse, rolled threads (The main reason I spent the extra money over the steel bolts that are available dirt cheap. The steel bolts usually have 1.5 inches of machined threads, which makes them more succeptible to shearing when used as tree steps). With my bolts, I have 5.5 inches of solid shank (insert your joke here) vs. the Treehopper steel bolts which have 4.5 inches of solid shank. I also had the hex heads turned down to make them smooth for carrying. The head still has enough ‘lip’ to catch my boot if I get too far out on the bolt.
Cost…$22 each. Yes, I know I can get the steel bolts for less than $1 each. I do use some of the steel in trees that I plan on hunting multiple times. I just leave them in the tree and don’t worry if someone steals them.

How can I justify spending $220 for 10 bolts? Well, I can’t. However, I can make a case that it makes as much sense as spending $190 for 4 Lone Wolf climbing sticks.

Here goes my argument:
4 Lone Wolf sticks, when placed 20” apart will get put your top step at exactly 200” (about 17 feet). Do the math if you don’t trust me. Each stick measures 30” from the top of the first step to the top of the third step (you don’t get all 32” of length in real world climbing).
By comparison, I can space each of my Titanium bolts 20” apart and reach a height of 200”. Therefore, my 10 bolts at $220 will reach the same height as a 4 pack of LW sticks at about $190. I can justify the price difference because my 10 bolts weigh 1lb 3oz and fit it my pocket vs. The 4 LW sticks weighing 10 lbs and packing at about 3 feet long by 1 foot high. You can add 6oz for my EZ-Kut (woodpecker) hand drill, but I only have to drill a tree one time. After that I just slide the bolts in the holes each time up.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my LW sticks. I use them when I hunt pines and poplars, which is quite often. For hardwoods, I will take my Mettec bolts every time.

My ambush saddle with the titanium bolts and hand drill weigh about 6lbs total. That is pretty light for a complete treestand/harness system. Absolutely, unnecessarily light, but awesomely cool.

I have pics, but can't figure out how to post????

Hope that helps for those who have asked.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my Ultralight Tree Saddle and Titanium bolts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »
I really want to see those pics!  That kind of thinking is pretty important if you're going to be hiking in to hunt.

thanks for sharing

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
yes - please post pix
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »
Where are you at in NC Kevin? Might like to see this set up in person.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:51:00 AM »
Titanium bolts sound cool but I do not see why you do not use strap on steps? I personally was elated the day I could quit using screw in steps (20 years ago). I hated those things and they killed my elbows putting them in.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. I use LW sticks but would like to be more moblie and lightwieght. I get tired of drilling and screwing steps in so I though the strap ons would be the way to go. When it comes down to it LW sticks are easier and quicker just more of a pain to carry in with a saddle and backpack on. I use steps on trees that I will leave them in and sticks when I am moving around.These set ups are like quivers, you gotta try them all out and each set up has its adv. and disadv., thats what makes it fun.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
If someone will tutor me on posting pics, I will do it.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Using the hand drill is MUCH easier on the elbows than screw in steps.

Hey, ckanous,
I am only 100 miles from you, near Asheville.  My daughter plays travel volleyball, so I am usually in Hickory, Statesville area a couple of times a year.  I'm sure we could figure out a way to meet up and let you try these out.  Her travel season starts in January.  Let me know and we can keep in touch.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Yes, Lone Wolf sticks are easier to put up.  No doubt.  I like these for their lightweight and pocket-packability.

Offline DeathBringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
How did you replace the tree strap with climbing rope?  Are you using a larkshead to attach the rope to the tree and then a prussic with carabiner to attach to the tree saddle?
It ain't the bow, it's the indian behind it.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
In regard to the climbing rope replacing the tree strap, you nailed it.  Larkshead via a figure 8 follow-through around the tree.  Prussic and a Petzl Atache' carabiner to the waist belt.  Slides like butter, absolutely quiet and can be hooked up in the dark in about 5 seconds.  I sold all my Trophyline tether belts.  The only disadvantage is that I can no longer lay my head on the flat strap and sleep because the carabiner is now in that spot as I am hanging there.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Any help on posting pics????
I have good pics of my setup.

Offline DeathBringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
An easy way is to host pics at another site such as photobucket and then simply copy and paste the IMG code into your post here.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Ok, I read the FAQ and realize that I need to sign up for photobucket.  Hopefully have pics up soon.

Offline DeathBringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
I may have to try this setup.  I've got a leather treesaddle that I cut the shoulder straps off of, but stopped using it because I still couldn't get the weight down enough for a long pack in.  

I had planned to use the seat to my LW Sit and Climb as a seat to ground hunt, but your setup is coming in at around the same weight.

Are you using 4 bolts at the top for your platform?

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Test pic to see if I can post a pic of my setup...

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I usually use 3 bolts at the top unless its a really big tree.  I can usually swing around enough with three bolts to shoot almost 360*, but I am very comfortable with my setup and technique.  4 would be better.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
next try...
  [/IMG]

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Sweet set-up, we should be friends. My main hunting setup is also a lightweight saddle with the straps cut off. I carry a dozen or so tree steps bundled in my pack with it, quiet and very compact. Most of my hunting I do I set up a new tree and hunt it, can silently be in a tree setup in 10-15 mins. Loooove my saddle. Your pegs sound sweet, would love to see a pic of your setup if you figure it out
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
wow, this should not be this hard to post a pic.  I have them on photobucket, but I can't get them to paste properly on this site!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©