3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1 arrow - 2 shots - 1 deer - Pics  (Read 697 times)

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
1 arrow - 2 shots - 1 deer - Pics
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
Decided last week to take a doe if I got a good opportunity.  Happened this weekend and I had to share.

Saturday evening

4:00 - nice doe broadside at 15 yards or so.  Picked a spot - shot and the arrow hit right were I was looking.  She kicked and took off - arrow passed through and fell out of her as she ran off.  I thought double lung and no more than 75-100 yards and she would be down  - so I decided to sit awhile in the hopes a nice buck would come by.

5:00 - didn't see any more deer and I couldn't take it any longer - had to get down.  Looked where she was standing when hit and not blood!  Looked at arrow and no blood but did have what looked like stomach material - could not believe it!  Decided to back out and come back Sunday morning.

Sunday morning

Started tracking from where I found arrow.  No blood.  Snow on the ground and she ran into a cornfield so I could track her - she ran out into cornfield about 100 yards and stopped - couple drops of blood.  She walked north back to the shelter belt I was hunting and then went west.  She began dripping blood pretty good.  Went about 200 yards and then bedded.  Found 3 beds all within 10-15 yards of one another.  Couldn't find blood leaving the area.  After another 30 minutes of looking for blood I look up and see her bedded under a cedar tree and she is still very much alive!

I immediately walked away and she stayed bedded.  Decided my best chance was to get my bow and try shooting her again. I walked back to my truck and got my bow and the same arrow (and my quiver) I used the night before that I had cleaned up and resharpened.  Quietly went back to where she was.  As I approached she put her head down like she was hiding.  Was able to get to about 17 yards or so and had a clear shot...picked a spot and sent the arrow again.  Hit solid and she busted out of her bed and up a slope and out of sight.  After a short wait I went up to the bed and there was no blood in the bed.  There was blood that blew out the exit wound of the second shot.  It was an easy track for 50 yard to where she crashed - she was spraying blood the whole way and was double lunged.

After gutting her and checking out the entry and exit wounds I can't believe that my first shot did not hit lung.   The Sat night shot hit her on her right and exited on her left.  The Sun morning shot was the opposite.  The Sat. night shot was from a stand so it had a higher entry and lower exit.

Below are the pics.  Help me figure it out   :confused:   Sorry for the long post!

Mitch

Sat entry and Sun exit:

Sat exit (low) Sun entry:

Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1 arrow - 2 shots - 1 deer - Pics
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
WOW.  Another education for sure!  Great job and decision making in regards the follow-up.  So goes for the "perfect" lung shot!!   :confused:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
How did you managed to skin it with the arrows in....LOL
Great pictures! good shooting!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
What Broadhead bud ???
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Congrats on the recovery!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Stranger things have happened, but not much stranger. Glad you were able to find her.  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
where the organs all normal and where they where they suppose to be? I know a guy that shot a doe once and where the arrow went through should have been lungs but all he got was guts. when he finley found her and opened her up her in sides where all wrong.
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
I can't help you, look like 2 good shot!?!?!?
the holes look pretty small, but man I don't know??????

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
That's why sometimes when we think we made a perfect shot, we didn't.  And that "looks" like you made a perfect shot, but obviously the deer told you differently.   :)    
Way to stay after her for a successful ending!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
learning more everyday
very interesting
what kind of ???
arrow
broadhead
weight of arrow and broadhead
looks like a great set of shots to me
glad you got her
congrats

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
Strange for sure would have been happy with either shot.I just don't know what happened there.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
That's incredible! Both shots look as close to perfect as possible.  I don't think you'll figure this one out, but maybe that's for the best.  It's a great story as it is.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »
Yeah what broadhead? Those holes look small.
High on Archery.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
Both do look perfect.  Maybe the broadhead on Sat. night had dulled from taking it in out of the quiver?  Just a thought.  You matched the entrence of Sat with the exit from Sunday, so I don't know.  But I will say you are consistant
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
I'd sign a contract for that first shot on everyone I shoot from here on out. Got me. Glad you found her.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Crooked Stic:
Yeah what broadhead? Those holes look small.
X2

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Thats pretty amazing to me.  Both look like great shots.  I would have assumed the first shot would have killed her in short order.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
My first thought is dull broadhead. I had a friend shoot a deer with an arrow he shot and didn't resharpen.  Had almost the exact same story line. Good hit, no blood, long recovery, still alive next day. I, too, would like to know more about your setup.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
both look like good hits

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
IM with TJ on this one, the first shot looks perfect.

Years ago i shot a 100lb doe with a 7 mag and she ran over 200 yards.

When i took her back to camp to dress her i found that her heart was completly blown to shreds.

A deer has to be one of the most hard core animals to kill.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©