3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1 arrow - 2 shots - 1 deer - Pics  (Read 698 times)

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1 arrow - 2 shots - 1 deer - Pics
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
I would have guessed dull broadheads as well.  I have had about 3 of my buddies that have made similar shots this year with dull broadheads and only one of the deer bleed and it wasn't much.  All went over 300yds.  All were pass throughs as well but they all shoot wheelie bows.  Anyway great first shot and great second shot, way to stay with her.  BTW that grill shot is my favorite.
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
Kpete - I agree sometimes a good hit turns out bad and a bad hit turns out good.  Fortunately, good hits are usually lethal.

A couple of guys have mentioned dull broadheads - which got me thinking.  I think my broadheads are sharp - I use a kit to sharpen them and they seem very sharp although I would not classify them as "razor blade" shave my beard sharp.  They easily slice through paper with little pressure.  They feel like they have a sharp edge to the touch.

Anyway - if you get a pass through wasn't the broadhead sharp enough?  If it goes through didn't it cut what it went through?  Just wondering?

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
We all tend to aim too far back, thinking the lungs are back there.  Stay really tight to the front leg or just above it.  Just above it is actually best.
ChuckC

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
If the BH goes through it has done it's job what BH were you using?

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
Bjorn, Zwickey Eskilite 135 gr were mentioned a couple of posts up.

I would say if the broadhead had a clean pass thru it should be sharpe enough to get the job done.

I have looked at these pics a few times and must say I would be happy with both shots.

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Thinking back a few weeks ago I harvested a 7 pt. My shot looked too far back and too high. It was  a very noisy day with a brisk wind so it was impossible to hear after the shot. I waited an hour before heading over to look. According to the blood it was a great shot. He was down with in 40 yards.

After cleaning the deer I saw my Bear Razorhead had entered and clipped both lungs and sliced the diaphram on the close side. Still to this day I do not understand how my arrow got both lungs and the diaphram with a shot so far back.

Only thing I can figure is since he was quartering away heading up a slight incline that his organs were shifted a bit. I chalk it up to being lucky, I guess.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Hardtimes -

That got me thinking (dangerous) I wonder how much the diaphram moves when the deer is breathing - on an inhale it would move back and on an exhale it would move forward.  Don't know how much it moves but could be a couple of inches anyway.  Food for thought.

BTW - I'll take lucky any day!

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©