3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Im proud of my Son  (Read 577 times)

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
Im proud of my Son
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Littel back ground My son Billy reads this forum a lot. He wants to be like Terry Green. Hes 19 and isnt a member here but He reads about every post and I know he will see this.

We live near Portland Oregon. now for you guys and gals that have never been here its kind of the land of wierdos. Tattoos, huge hoops in the ears with a heavy drug/party culture, most of the populas is Green bike riding vegans that dont like even seeing meat at the store let alone hunting. My son has almost no friends because hes a hunter. Most of his friends are my friends. He said to me the other Day that he is fine with that but its hard on him and he gets depressed about it some times, I tell him its ok that your a hunter we just live in a area with a bunch of clueless people who dont know anything about real life. well he shoot a long bow now thanks to a little proding by me and reading here He loves the challange and with luck and god he"ll kill his first Trad animal this fall. I See all these kids his age smoking pot and walking around with no job not doing anything with there life and I have to ask Why? what happen in there life that made them so different. My son is 19 works for the State of Oregon as a Mental heath theripist. Makes a darn good living. owns a nice truck and Trained one of the best darn duck dogs ive ever seen.He is also persuing a medical degree, I asked him " Billy whay did you turn out this way"? he Said "Dad, Remember all them days we spent shooting our bows in the back yard' thats why. I really loved that. None of my friends Dads did that". ( made me feel good)  but its really the choices he made. I didnt have that much to do with it. I just helped him where I could. Now he's grown and I do believe that the Bow and Arrow and bowhunting taught My son valubale life lessons. I may have helped a bit  :knothead:  

Any way I Just want to say Billy im proud of you!  :thumbsup:
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Im proud of my Son
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Awesome!!!! I am proud of both Billy and you and the way you raised him!!!!!!!!

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I think you have more to do with it than you are giving yourself credit for. I have learned one thing from conversations with my son and daughter,,,It's not so much the talks we have with our children although that is very important but its more the example we set for them, they learn by watching us and you sir must have been living right. Even then I have seen alot of kids go astray for a few years (the discovery years) but it seems most come back to their roots and some like your son never seem to have the need to look for other things. I dont know, I'm just happy that there are kids like this out there and you should be proud. Congradulations. I am proud of my son too, he is my fishing and hunting partner and my best friend, always has been and he is thirty years old. He has faced alot of adversity and handles himself well and is a good father to the most presious little grad daughter a man could ask for.  We are blessed and lucky men.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Nice to hear those kinda things.  :clapper:    :clapper:
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
IMHO, most of the problems in this country today can be traced back to a breakdown of the family unit and bad parenting.  Good job Richard, you have done your job as a father and raised a fine, responsible young man.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Good stuff congrats to both of you. You guys should move to Kentucky. We only have two vegans in the state and everyone drives a truck with at least a V8 in it. If you don't hunt you're definitely in the minority.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
The acorn falls close to the tree...

You need to get out of portland.  You don't have to go far to find country folk.

As for the folks in portland, when you hunt, just tell them you're shopping for organic, free range, sustainable meat.  That should quiet the shrieking.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Its always nice to hear those kinds of stories about dads and sons. None of the people I work with hunt and very few of the kids in the school hunt. As a result, it is a kinda lonely place to work sometimes.

Both of my daughters have hunted with me and their friends don't understand it either....

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
You're gonna love Manitoba...and tell Billy he better make the trip too!

You've done a fine job raising Billy...I'll be picking your brain when we meet for parenting tips! Congratulations on raising such a fine young man!....Ryan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Congrats on raising a fine young man! Portland is a non hunting capital?? And I thought where we live in the San Francisco Bay area was bad......wow I feel so good I'm getting on my camo and going to Starbuck's!   :bigsmyl:

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Yeeaaap!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I just got back from a weekend hunt with My son. He was lucky and took his first buck. Although it was with a rifle I couldn't be prouder of him.

Time spent with Your children is a must. Like You said there are a lot of bad influences around. Not that he's not covered in tattoo's and both ears pierced. But he and My son-in-law who also is covered in tattoo's are not on drugs nor do they tolerate any friends who are.

Congrats on raising such a fine young man. You should be PROUD.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
INSPIRING!  :thumbsup:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Stump-pounder

Thanks, Richard for shareing that story.It is great to hear good things about the younger generation. It renews one's hope for our future.  :)
Joe Furlong

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Billy good for you, here's wishing you a tall tined buck, or big racked elk...also wishing you and your day a merry christmas and happy new year!

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
You've done well, and your son is showing signs of individualism and leadership qualities...whether he realizes it or not...as a result.   You have had an incredible influence on him, and in such "hostile" environment such as Portland, he too, will attract the attention of admirers of his "style".   Continue to encourage his leadership by example....and to take heart in it!   Also, I would urge to two of you to attend the PBS gathering there in March, and get a chance to meet with some of the "best of the best" and perhaps even make aquaintance with other like-minded folks in your area.  Kudos to dad and son!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Awesome, great job Dad!!!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the story! Hope I can say the same when my son and daughter get older (he is three and a half and she is six months). When I figure it out I will post a few pics of him shooting in the garage with me the other day. Good job stump-pounder and son!!    :clapper:    :clapper:
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©