3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Hunting in SC or NC  (Read 937 times)

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Hunting in SC or NC
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
My brother and I owe our dad a hog hunt from his 50th birthday. He's turning 52 this feb, so we really need to get on this! Due to the birth of kids, snow day make-ups (I'm a teacher), and my brother getting in to the Police Academy we've had to postpone at least 2 times. This June is the time when we are going to make it happen!

Anyway, we need to find a place to hunt near where they live. That means we are looking for land with hogs in southern NC or SC that we can hunt for as cheaply as possible. It would be great to take him on a guided hunt on private land, but money is certainly an issue. My dad got us into trad archery since we were very young, so this is sort of one of our dream hunts. Any ideas where we should look to hunt? Thanks ahead of your time for any help!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Hunting in SC or NC
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Ray Hammond's Hog Heaven is in the Sponser's Classifieds, he is on the SC/GA border. No fences, lots of hogs, really cool terrain, first class food, and Ray is an excellent host!

I've been there 3 times and going back again in March.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Sounds like a sweet place, but $575 per person isn't in the bank right now. It certainly is a fair price for what he offers, but we just can't afford that much. Thanks for the tip though, someday I will definitely get there!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
Check with RC on this site. He hunts a WMA in Ga that might suit your needs. Maybe a little out of your distance but worth a check.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
When and where?
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
Late June this year or early July is when we are looking. My brother lives just above Charlotte NC and my Dad just south of Columbia SC, so anywhere within a few hours of there.

RC was one of the guys we had to cancel on due to snow-make up days at my school. Maybe I will contact him again.

All ideas welcome thanks!
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
I RC is willing to take you out, he is your man
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
You have limited your options a good bit with your time frame, which I understand is somewhat out of your control.  At that time of the year, you won't be able to hunt public land hogs in either SC or NC, and NC offers such poor hog hunting from my experience that it is not worth buying a NR license.  That means you will have to find some private land, where you can hunt them year round.  Unlike PA, you will not be able to simply knock on doors and get permission to hunt.  Maybe somebody in SC has a lease that you can pay a few $ to hunt.  When I lived in Columbia, I would buy my archery supplies at Jeffrey Aechery and Owen was a hog hunting fool, killing a lot of them on his lease along the Congaree River.  Might want to sent your dad over to see Owen and see if you guys can get an invite, or at least some leads on other leases that might allow you guys access.

http://jefferyarchery.com/main/home.html

If RC will take you guys out in GA, that would most certainly be your best bet, but again that time period is bad because you can only hunt hogs on Georgia WMA's during regular hunting seasons, not year round.  However, you CAN hunt hogs at some military bases at that time of the year, such as Ft Stewart.  I know that Ft. Jackson right there in Columbia has hogs but it is much harder to hunt there, they are less public-friendly than Stewart.  Still worth checking into; when I lived there you had to be a guest of a miliary person, either active or retired, to hunt.

Good luck.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. My dad is ex air force, so where should he look at Ft. Jackson?
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I guess I'll need to re-read the public hunting rules. We did meet Owen when I was down here at Thanksgiving. Seemed like a great guy.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Here is the Ft Jackson link, maybe others here can help you.  I worked with numerous people in Columbia who killed hogs there on base, I just never hunted there.

http://fortjacksonmwr.com/hunting_fishing/index.html

However, I HAVE killed hogs down in the Francis Marion NF, and the deer season opens there shortly after August 15.  I killed a hog on August 18 one year, on the deer season opener.  It will be unbearably hot and the "nasties" (skeeters, chiggers, ticks, no-see-ums, snakes, gators, etc) will be bad, but at least you can be hog hunting.  Best if you have a boat.  PM me if you decide on that option, I can point you in the right direction.  My favorite unit there is "Hellhole" and it is aptly named.....
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
I think that may be early enough to still be before school. We may have to consider that if we go SC.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
Check out Chickasawhatchee WMA below Albany, Ga.
  Chickasawhatchee WMA map  

Also check out Fort Benning in Columbus, Ga.
  Fort Benning info  

There is a good hog population on both.  Good luck in your search!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
khardrunner, this winter would be a great time for your dad to scout out the Francis Marion NF, it is a pretty neat place.  About a 2 hr drive from Columbia.  Lots of gravel and dirt roads to drive, and plenty of gated NF roads/trails that are perfect to scout with a bike.  Very flat of course, since it is near the coast.  The guys I knew who had the best success with killing hogs and deer there used small jon boats to hunt the creeks and inlets off the Santee river.  Good turkey hunting there too, so the spring turkey season would be a good time to scout/hunt the hogs as well.  Several NF campgrounds there, so with this much time to plan, you could have a relatively low cost/high quality hog hunt.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
July is hot and snakey I would try to go early in spring as possible. Or go during turkey season and do both

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Kyle, is there any chance you guys could make a hunt in March? I'll be hunting for several days in the Francis Marion and have a few really good areas scouted out. I'd be more than happy to have some company.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
I can't do spring, especially this year. I'm a teacher so I will be in school. On top of that I coach track. This year is especially crazy in march as my wife is due with #2. Thank you for the invite though! I'm sure that would have been a great time!

We are pretty well limited to June through August for our trip due to my school. I may be able to work something out for Christmas break, though it would have to wait until next year. That is usually the week after Christmas.
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm considering hunting in the Wee Tee WMA in early June, too. I haven't been there, yet, but a good friend has and says it has hogs galore. We'll be hunting it in March, as well. I'll be taking my canoe to access some of the remote areas.

Hopefully it won't be unbearably hot in June. It definitely will be in August.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Is there public land open in early June in SC?
I Corinthians 9 24-25

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Yep. There are several. Here's a link to the list:  http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/HogHunting.pdf

The Wee Tee WMA, in Game Zone 5, is one of them.  I've also heard that Woodbury is a good place to go, but don't have any first hand intel on it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©