3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrows back-stop?  (Read 616 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
arrows back-stop?
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
What do ya'll use for back-stops behind your targets?  I live in the city so a back-stop is a must.  I've picked up a few hay-bales in the past, but my arrows were going straight through bales stacked 2-deep and snakes started to get cozy in the bales. (That's a little startling when retrieving arrows)  I switched to a heavy-duty wooden fence panel, which stops the arrows everytime, but usually destroys the arrow.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrows back-stop?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Back in the good old days when I was allowed to shoot in my backyard, I had 3 layers of carpeting hanging behind my target. That stopped any that missed the target, and 4 x 6 retaining wall with a few tons of dirt backed the carpet up.

The carpeting occasionally let a field point peek through an inch or two when I deliberately shot into the carpeting at 10 feet to test it.

Believe me, it hardly slows a sharp broadhead down. That's where the retaining wall comes into play   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I used rubber horse stall mats.

I made my frame from treated 4 inch lumber with a 12 foot long cross piece on top of two vertical posts. Posts were set in concrete an at least 7 feet high.

I bought four 4x8 rubber mats 3/4"  thick.  I buried the bottom of the mat under ground.   I hung three mats next to each other, and cut the fourth mat into two pieces and placed them behind the mats at the seams so no arrows can get through.

It works great.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Good stuff, guys.  Thanks!

Wob, where do you live in WA?  I was born in Moses Lake and went to school at WSU.  I followed a woman to FL.  It kind of sucks here, but I shouldn't complain because that woman is my wife.     ;)

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I shamelessly pirated my backstop design off of one that another fellow here had posted.  I built it for under $70 and it is rock solid and awesome.  It can stop my brothers 65# compound from 10'.

I just used some treated 2x6s, a rubber stall mat, lag bolts and decking screws.  Couple hours work and it's good to go.  I now have some carpet hanging from the back as extra insurance but nothing has ever made it that far.  

Hope this helps you out.

Pat
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
3rivers and custom king both sale the net that clubs use, the small one that custom king sales is not to expensive, I'm considering buying one... I would buy the large one and split it with other shooters, but don't know any up here!! the horse mats are to expansive up here...

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
All the major stores compact their cardboard in bales that can be bought for cheap. Mine has been outside and rained on and shot for 3 years but it needs replacing this summer. A little messy in the yard but it will stop a 30-06
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
great idea going to have to check in on that one cause i missed the other day and the garage caught it

Offline Forrest Halley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
When I was shooting arrows in a very sensitive place that could not afford damage I used plywood that was 3/4" thick leaned at a fortifying degree angle. Single sheets on either side and doubled behind the bag target. Fool proof. I never needed the side panels It withstood 100# longbow and 870 gr arrow from as little as 15 feet with about a max of six inches protrusion. I'd go with a tarp for ground cover as the arrows from my 50# tended to bounce off at 20 yards and out. Also avoid heavy nocks like tracers and lumenoks they make shafts short lived splitting them from the rear.
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:55:00 AM »
Thanks again guys.  I checked out the horse mats online, looks like around $40 gets you a 4'x6' mat.  I think I'll go that route since I'm already using a wooden backstop and it's claimed quite a few arrows.  I think I'll hang the mat a few inches in front to absorb the energy.

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by emt137:
I shamelessly pirated my backstop design off of one that another fellow here had posted.  I built it for under $70 and it is rock solid and awesome.  It can stop my brothers 65# compound from 10'.

I just used some treated 2x6s, a rubber stall mat, lag bolts and decking screws.  Couple hours work and it's good to go.  I now have some carpet hanging from the back as extra insurance but nothing has ever made it that far.  

Hope this helps you out.

Pat
:thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I use conveyor belts.  They get replaced at big warehouses often
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©