3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Red and Black Wool  (Read 795 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red and Black Wool
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2011, 06:18:00 AM »
I still use the woolrich set my dad bought in the 50's, nothing like a vintage Pennsylvania tuxedo to blend into the deer woods.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2011, 06:24:00 AM »
Stone ... awesome mate !
   :thumbsup:  
Mine is my Dads too !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
George google Woolrich . Their web comes up. Buy on line. Very expensive 110.00. Also says Campmor has them. Alot of Folks get theirs from Good Will Shops, Salvation Army Shops and even The Big Web Used item site. I bought all mine at Meltzers. They told me I was one of the few that still like the stuff. Go Figure. Bought my pants and 2 shirts there.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Check the auction site, search for men's plaid wool shirts or jackets. You can usually find some really nice stuff for under $25.

Don't go by the listed size on anything you find there, check the measurements because a lot wool clothes made a trip through the washer and drier and a large will often be closer to a medium.

I checked the measurement arm pit to arm pit, sleeve length and distance from the collar to the bottom hem of one of my shirts that is a little big on me. If I see one for sale I like with the same measurement I bid on it.

My last acquisition was a red and black plaid Melton jacket from the 50s that looked like new for $18.

I haunt the local thrift stores as well but wool items are few and far between in the south where I live.  

A word of caution, I have heard the one should take any clothing bought off the auction site directly to the washer or dry cleaners as soon as you open the package. There is a slim chance the item came from a house with bedbugs.

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Classicbowman Sporting Woolens  

A bit of history --- the name "Buffalo Plaid",
it originated in about 1850. Seems that the designer had a small herd of Buffalo--- thus the name --  Buffalo Plaid--   :) )
It still works  !
Red and Black remains the most popular color
Green and Black seems to be popular in Maine, Vermont and NH--- NY Hunters mostly wear Red and Black ---  IN Scotland  the different Clans worn differnt tarten plaids to identify themselves--

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©