3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith Stalker  (Read 10819 times)

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith Stalker
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
That sounds about right.   I used 29.75" GT 5575s with a 50 gr insert and 150 gr woodsmans with Miss Faith, and they flew perfectly.  Good luck with her!

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Oops, sorry for the double tap

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »
Oops, sorry for the double tap

« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Wish me luck! I'll be headed to the woods for 4 or 5 days starting tomorrow. I won't have internet out there so stand by till Wed or Thur. I "Hope" I have a good story and some pics for y'all when i get home!

Bisch

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
Good luck to you sir!   :thumbsup:  Can't wait to read all about it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Faith shooters,

What arrow setup have you been using?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Bud B, look 5 posts up from yours to see what I used.  I liked it so much I even said it twice!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Blind as a bat! Thanks!!

My GT Trad 55/75s are 30.5 BOP with 50gr insert. I may need to go with a 125 BH on those. We'll see. I also have 6 with standard insert so a heavier BH would work also I trust. Looking forward to getting her. I have a 21 acre tract of land I have permission to hunt. I was in a stand Thursday morn and after daylight set I learned there were about 6-7 trees rubbed within 20 yards of my stand. I just hope I get to hunt alot with her. The acreage was clear cut about 10 years ago and it's swarming with active sign. The acorns are all but gone from under the oaks.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
That will probably work.  Good luck with her.  I missed a small buck right at dark on the last night I hunted with her...another one of those times I failed to pick-a-spot.  She would have blood on her by now if I had done my part!  Haven't heard from her Oct or Nov hunting partners.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
I arrived from the woods to find Faith safely delivered. Like a kid on Christmas morn I opened the package (carefully, mind you) and promptly put her together and shot two volleys of five arrows. I shots 3555s out of her with 145 tips. Little rockets they were. Quite accurate for just shooting it too  :)  

I'll try some 5575s Saturday morning and hunt with her Saturday evening. I was grunted by a buck this evening on the 21 acre tract I can now hunt. He was about 30 yards in the thick growth of the 10 year old cutover. He blew at my presence first, then grunted kinda stalking me in a half circle trying to figure me out i guess. he never showed. The rain set in and forced me out. Next Monday will be Miss Faith's turn at the old cutover. Lord willing, and a little Faith, I'll harvest one and add some mojo.

« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
I "HOPE" everyone is ready for a story! Here is a little something to get your interest up:

Be back shortly with more details!

Bisch

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Thats what I`m talking bout. Waiting on the story...RC

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
Well, I'm back and I "HOPE" you guys are ready for a neat story!

This story started last weekend when I decided I needed to get out in the woods with Hope and put some critters on the ground. On this trip I was really after pigs or turkeys. I have not seen any decent bucks this year but would be happy with a nice buck if one showed itself also.

I arrived at my hunting lease on Saturday afternoon and decided to hunt a tree stand in the bottom to see if any new deer were coming around. It was very windy and all I saw was two small scrubby bucks that I have been seeing all season.

Sunday morning came around and it was still very windy, and COLD! I decided to try an enclosed stand to help protect me from the elements. I chose a stand we call the Taj Majal. This stand is a homemade elevated blind. I chose this stand because I had seen a couple spikes there earlier in the season and would not be opposed to shooting one if givin the chance. Here is a couple of pictures of the Taj Majal:

« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
And here is a picture of the view from inside the Taj Majal:

I threw out a little hand thrown corn and climbed up into the stand about an hour before daylight. I just curled up in my chair and waited for the woods to come alive with the break of daylight.

As it began to get light I caught movement out of the window and could tell there was a deer there already having breakfast. I could not tell anything about this deer. As it continued to get lighter I realized that this was buck as I could just make out tines moving around as he fed.

Then, as it got light enough to finally see good, I realized that this was a pretty good buck. I also decided that I would shoot him if given the opportunity.

For the next thirty minutes we played cat and mouse. The buck came and went several times but every time he would come in close he was always quartering towards me and I had no shot.

Then one of the coolest things I have seen in the woods happened. A Red Tailed hawk came swooping in several times like he was dive-bombing the buck. The buck paid little attention to the hawk but would kind of duck when he would swoop down. After several swoops, the hawk landed on the ground and walked right up to the buck. His head was all cocked sideways as he was looking at the deer. The hawk then flew up and lit on a fence post about six feet in front of the deer. The hawk had lit on a T-post and was having quite a hard time balancing atop the post. He was flopping his wings around trying to balance himself and I think he was in the bucks comfort zone.

The buck raised his head staring at the hawk as he backed up a few steps. That is when I realized that the buck has now put his self in a perfect position for me to shoot. The next thing I knew, the arrow was on its way! It appeared to hit exactly in the spot that my eyes were just focused on. At that, the buck turned and ran. I thought I could see him get wobbley in the brush not too far from the stand.

After a short while I got out of the blind and took up the trail.

Here is what I found at the spot where I had shot him-

This was about ten feet into the trail-

And the rest of the trail-

And this is what lay at the end of the trail (a long and arduous 22yd trail)-

In this pic you can see the exit hole (and that is a pretty good place for and exit hole if I do say so myself)-

More pics to follow!

Bisch

« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
Here is some more pics of the buck that I shot with Hope.

When I started my story I said I was going hunting for pigs or turkeys and would take a deer if it happened. Well, I never saw a turkey and let's just say the pigs got my number......for now!

See y'all later,

Bisch

P.S. - TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!!!!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Outstanding!!! I gotta tell you that is a buck of a lifetime where I live at.  Hope you get another. Congrats,RC.....That "Hope" knows exactly what it was made for.RC

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Great job!! super hunt and super Buck!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Congratulations!  Looks like Miss Hope is running up the score on Miss Faith!

I agree with RC, here in this part of GA, you don't see bucks like that very often,  outside of night time trail camera pictures.  

Good shooting, maybe you can find a hog now to add to the list.

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
Real cool stuff there Bisch.   :campfire:  

The hawk thing kinda makes you wonder.   :)
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©