3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith Stalker  (Read 10812 times)

Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith Stalker
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
Well, as I stated last night; "the pigs ain't got my number any more!". A buddy of mine has a place that is infested with pigs about an hour from where I live. This is the same place that I took Hope on our first date where we saw lots of pigs but they came in too late to see good enough to take a shot. We were soooooo close on that hunt.

Yesterday I met my friend Kirby at his house and drove up to his place. We spent a few minutes shooting at his 3D target and then changed into our hunting clothes and headed to the woods. I hunted out of the same stand as last time and when I walked in at about 3:15, pushed 3 pigs out of the area of the stand. About 3:35 five or six more hogs came strolling through but never stopped to investigate the hand thrown corn I had spread out in front of the blind. Did I say this place is infested with feral hogs? About 4:10 a nice boar came in by his self. He fed around for about 10 minutes but never would get in a position that presented a shot. Then he just walked off. Man, I was getting frustrated!!!

Then nothing for the next hour and a half. I was beginning to think that I had once again missed my opportunity to take a hog with Hope when I caught movement in the trees. It was more hogs! About 5 or 6 with a couple smaller pigs and a couple bigger ones. Darkness was approaching fast and I was ready. The pigs were milling around and then a couple of them found my hand thrown corn and were getting close. My light was fading fast and I knew I only had a few minutes left. Finally, one of the smaller pigs fed into a shooting lane and got broadside about 15yds in front of me.

GAME ON!!!!!

I drew Hope back and let my GoldTip arow fly. SCHMACK!! It hit and my first impression was that I had hit a little high. (High is BAD on pigs). With almost no light left I decided to get out and make sure I had blood to follow. I had a complete pass through with my arrow covered in blood (see pic in above post). There was great blood on the ground too. I decided to back out and go meet my buddy. We took up the trail after about 45minutes. The little brown boar only went about 40yds but when I found him I confirmed that the shot was indeed a little high and I got a little lucky. Or, maybe, it was that mojo in Hope that RC is always pointing out?

See y'all later. I'm headed out to a friend of mines ranch on Friday to see what else I can "Hope" to find in the woods!

Bisch

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
Outstanding!!!! Good job on the pork.Pigs that size are my favorite ones to shoot.I gotta get out after the swine myself.Good luck on your upcoming hunts.RC

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Way to go again Bisch!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
another one bites the dust!! congrats bisch!!
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Awesome Bisch!  I knew Miss Hope would be in good hands with you    :notworthy:  

Congrats brother    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
:campfire:  Congrats Bisch! I'm going to have to put a bid in on this bow! My wife will understand right?    :rolleyes:    Thanks for adding to the MOJO!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Man the Sisters Hope and Faith are sure getting a work out this year!!!

WELL DONE!

Thanks for taking the time to share your hunts with us guys....some killing machines you are!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Guys and gals I'm trying with Faith. I took the day off to run errands this morning and got to the woods by 1pm in the tree. I was optimistic as it rained yesterday and there were fresh tracks all around the stand. One set was BIG. Within 30 yards of my treestand there must be at least a dozen tree rubs. I sat and watched the near full moon rise before sunset. I only saw the one fat squirrel that I see each time and the same small woodpecker. Lots of crows were flying about.

A brisk breeze was coming in as night fell. No sounds of walking deer. The only sounds at dusk were the sounds of a Cardinal having it out with another songbird over territory.

I'll try again this weekend.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Good luck this weekend Bud!

Bisch

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: December 09, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Good luck fellas. Be safe and have fun.RC

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Congrats on the pig Bisch, you've been piling them up!  Hope you don't "hog" all of the mojo!  Come on lefty's, show the Hope brothers your power!  :thumbsup:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: December 11, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I got Faith to the woods yesterday and this morning.

Yesterday was an uneventful morning up until about 9am. I heard a rushing thrash of leaves kicking up and caught a deer to my right but about 50 yards away. The deer stopped and nature's camouflage took over. I left the binocs in the truck so I had to rely on my less than perfect vision. I noticed it s-l-o-w-l-y meandering away and caught a glimpse of antler. From where I was it looked to be at least an 8 pointer. I could see three points on each side and if brow tines were properly in place that would make it an 8. He was a nice big bodied buck with a rack at least as wide as his ears. I lost sight of him and figured it was over. After about 45 minutes I grunted a few times and hit the rattle bag a time or two without seeing him. I figured he had skipped country.

I stood in my stand and leaned forward to try to eye the area I last saw him. I noticed a limb that looked an awful lot like an anlter. I locked in on it and couldn't detect movement. I hit the grunt another time and rattled some more while watching and then I saw him turn his head.

He had bedded down behind a huge downed Oak with his head just high enough to see approaching danger. I grunted and rattled bit by bit and I guess he finally had enough. He casually got up, turned directly away from my sounds, and walked out of sight. I heard him as he left for good this time. I guess he was not in the mood to confront any other ficticious bucks in the area.

I hunted that afternoon and saw nothing. The same squirrels fought over territory and whatever acorns they had not yet found. Night fell as silence took over the woods and the swollen yellow moon rose in the northeast. I stayed until moonlight was all that filled the empty spaces between the trees. I slipped out with a return planned for this morning.

I got to the frigid stand today after walking to the stand under the full moon's light. Usually if I make it to the stand without getting blewn by a nearby deer I feel like it may be a good morning. As silently as I could I climbed in the ladder stand and afixed the camo netting around the stand. Good! I made it safely without scaring away any deer in the area. WRONG! After being the the stand about 5 minutes I was leaned back on the tree with my heaard tilted back and eyes closed. I do this to try to better my hearing. Tinitis plays heavy on my ability to detect where exactly sounds are coming from. As I sat there imagining that buck returning for a close broadside shot and finally getting some mojo going with Faith, my daydreams were abuptly interrupted by a deer springing from its bed and an immediate whistling wheeze at my presence. DANG IT! It crashed through the woods taking out every low lying limb from the Virginia pines it passed. I knew my morning was gone.

I sat there as morning started taking over the night. The rolls reversed, the full moon now setting and the sun not yet over the horizon but lighting the woods anyway. A nearby neighboring property owner's penned up dog began franticaly barking. He's a pretty good alarm system. The small tract of land I hunt is surrounded by homeowners, kids, dogs, and cattle. Sitting in total silence is not a common occurrence but I have leaarned that this dog barks at anything in the woods that makes noise. I heard it too. An occasional stick breaking and leaves rustling. I sat back again with my head tilted back, eyes closed. About five minutes passed and I heard a slight crunch nearby. I leveled my head and opened my eyes to find a deer to my right coming up an old overgrown four-wheeler path. It was a large doe. I made my way to my bow and got to a standing position. Then another doe appeared. Gotta be careful, while focusing on the one to shoot the other could bust me. I had to let the large one pass as the yealing came catching up. The larger doe then turned and came down my path towards my stand. She was heading right for my open lane. Suddenly she made me, or she made something. She stopped, glared, and froze. I did too. We locked on each other for what seemed like forever but it was probably about a minute. She turned and went back up the hill. The smaller doe was now coming up the four wheeler path to an open area. I drew back to loose the arrow when she hit the opening. She stopped and fed. I didn't have a clear shot so I held for about 15 seconds and let down. As soon as I let down she tried to catch up to the other doe. I knew I'd have only a split second to time it right. She passed the opening at a walk and I drew and loosed the arrow. The silent woods were awakened by the sound of the string being released and launching the arrow. The dead silence before allowed the sound of the bow to  cause both does to explode in flight. Mine spun to the left. The arrows was heading for her right slightly quartering away shoulder. Her alert spin caused a clean miss. I knew it didn't hit any unseen limbs during its flight. I didn't hear it even hit the ground. The sound of the larger doe was all I could hear. She ran about 20 yards and stopped. The smaller doe ran about three steps and looked around as if confused. I was able to retrieve another arrow to prepare for a second shot, but it was not meant to be. They both trotted off, never blowing an alarm wheeze, and disappeared in the area where the buck had gone the morning before.

So far no luck with Faith. I still think I'll be able to connect. I just gotta do my part.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: December 11, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
PM sent South

« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
Great story Bud! You got to have all the fun and none of the work. Maybe you will connect next time out. Good luck to you and Faith.

Hope and I just got home from a weekend hunt and we have a few more lines to add to the story......

It's after midnight so I'll have to catch up tomorrow.

Bisch

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
congrats again!!!
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Well, I can't compete with that. I did have a very young six pointer come in this morning. He got within 10 yards of my stand but he had his eye on me the whole time.

He came in the first time at the twilight when the deer move like smudges among the leaves. Not enough light to shoot safely. Too many twigs where I hunt. He clumsily ran off crashing through deadfall. About 20 minutes later he was now on my right. Still making way too much noise for a deer that'll survive for many years. He got upwind of me and blew me about a dozen times. I figured that was it but darned if he didn't come in again in about fifteen minutes. I had bow in hand and was at the ready but so was he. He would take two or three steps and look right at me. Two or thee more and look again. He was heading down the very trail I watch from my stand but he swirled and ran off.

Maybe next time. I have to go back to work for a few days now.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Nice work guys!  I should have put a backstrap clause in the contract!  :D

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Good deal Bisch. Gotta feeling I may need to start saving for the Auction .RC

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Excellent Bisch !!!!!    :clapper:  

Where at is your lease in south texas , I have hunted close to laredo in the past ,
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: December 14, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
While hunting Monday I finally gave in to the temptation of the 6-8 squirrels that have mocked me this season. Faith took some game, albeit small game.

I had fried squirrel for lunch Monday. The shot was a little high and off to the left but no blood trail due to a pass thru pin down.

The sun set on Faith and me again. I'll have a few more before I have to ship her off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©