3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back quiver for hunting?  (Read 760 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Back quiver for hunting?
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
Anybody use a back quiver for hunting?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back quiver for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
85% Backquiver, 10% Catquiver 3.5...bowquiver 5%.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I tried - really, I did.
But they just weren't really suitable for traveling through the woods, and especially not in the thickets. Even the local 3D shoot was a pain; whenever I bent over to pull arrows I ended up picking all of mine up after I emptied the quiver over my shoulder!

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
I purchased a safari tuff arrowmaster.  It's awesome- very easy to swing under the arm in the thicker stuff, fits well across the chest, just on the shoulder (if carrying the climber) and easy to extract arrows.  

I do find that if i'm not careful packing arrows into it, the carbons can rattle against each other.  I've worked around this by putting an knit hat in with the arrows.

It was a bit pricey, but I don't intend on purchasing another quiver.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I love a back quiver,the one i use I made nearly 26 yrs ago and its with me every season.It took some getting used to when i first started using it, but now its kinda like a second skin.  :archer2:   [/url] [/IMG]

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Yep. Even tree stand hunting. I have snaps on my strap and unsnap it and snap it across the bar of my tree stand and have easy access to my arrows. If I remember to take a photo I'll post up one while in the stand.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Love it! I made one that I used this fall, and I don't think I'll go back to bow quivers. If you are dumping arrows when you bend over, your quiver is too stiff. It should bend against your back and hold the arrows in when you bend over. Mine does.

I also use a single strap, so I can swivel the quiver under my left arm when I'm going through brush...no hangups whatsoever! When I'm in a tree stand, I take the quiver off and hang it where I can reach the arrows to reload if necessary.

I'm still making some adjustments to get it to hang the way I want it to, but it's plenty functional as is. One thing I changed was the leather bag I made to hold spare string, folding knife, lighter, string wax, etc. I originally had it attached at the top of the quiver because that's the way I'd seen it done in the pictures here and elsewhere. There are two problems with this: 1) the weight of the bag at the top of the quiver tends to make the quiver slide outboard on my shoulder when I walk a ways 2) more importantly, I couldn't get anything out of the bag without taking the quiver off. So I moved the bag down to where the bottom if it is even with the bottom of my quiver. The result is better weight distribution, and I can simply rotate the quiver under my left arm (same as when going through brush) and the bag is right there under my left hand. I can reach in an fish out my knife or whatever without removing my quiver. The bag is simply tied to the laces on the quiver with a leather lace, which also serves to hold the flap on the bag closed.

I also made a leather haversack for whatever other junk I want to carry to the stand: coffee/water, lunch, hand warmers, etc. Both the quiver and the haversack came from the same side of leather, and I still have some left, some of which will be used as grip wraps on my bows.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I use a back quiver maybe 1/3 to a half the time.  Depends on the hunt/mood.  I like mine.  It's not perfect, but nothing is.  

If I could ONLY pick one type of quiver, it would probably be a back quiver, but I have my eyes set on a side quiver that might change that.  Dunno yet.
Silence is golden.

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
In the past I mostly used bowquivers. This year, since I was using a longbow, I committed to using a HH backquiver. I spent the summer getting it broken in and adjusted. Once I decided to learn to use it exclusively, I was pleasantly surprised at how well they really work. If made properly and worn properly, they are silent and effective. As stated above, you can slide it under your arm for passing through thickets, and when backpacking a treestand, I simply hung it under my other arm with the fletching forward like a plains quiver. Like Bud B. and 30coupe I hang it by my side while in a treestand. Sitting on the ground or a stool, I laid it by my side in easy reach. I found it very effective and versatile. I enjoyed it very much and plan to stick with it. So far, for me I don't really see many cons, but a lot of pros.

Gerald

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
A properly made back quiver is a joy to use and one that isn't made right, is a royal pain.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
In open country is use one.  In heavy brush or thick timber I use a side quiver.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Sliding the back quiver under your arm for the thicket travel. The best ideas are always the most obvious. I have an Art Vincent (Cedar Leather Works) beauty that I used on occasion, but can't wait to get out and try the under-the-arm thing. Will be looking for a bunny on Saturday.
I love having too many arrows on board.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
The way i shoot Tom,Ive never had too many arrows on board.  :thumbsup:

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
In open country is use one.  In heavy brush or thick timber I use a side quiver.
A Hill-style back quiver tucked under your arm works just as well or better. I've got a side quiver, but I don't like it nearly as well as my back quiver. The side quiver has to ride lower for me to get the arrows out. As a result, it hung up more for me in brush than the back quiver does.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
I do, but my bleeder blades tend to hang up a bit and the topof the quiver has a second layer of leather that is kinda stiff...makes for a bit of noise and such.  I like it, it looks cool, but it's not perfect. I had a cat quiver and liked it less. Bow quiver isn't an option. So here I am.

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Almost forgot another plus for the backquiver. We finally got some colder weather in late Nov.-early Dec. While carrying my longbow and wearing my backquiver full of cedars over my red and black wool cruiser, I looked like my picture should be in the dictionary under "bowhunter".  :goldtooth:

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
For those of you who use quality soft leather back quivers like the Hill or similar, do they stay soft enough in cold weather as well as warm?

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
If treated ocassionally with a leather treatment they will stay soft,water repellent and last for many years in any weather.  :coffee:

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
I prefer to use a self made leather back quiver for hunting.  I throw a few extras in there including my axe and a snack.

I plan to build a new one this year with a few more storage options for stringer and spare string, file and a journal.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »
Since I miss with my first arrow and hit with my second arrow more often than I want to remember, I can use nothing but back quivers, everything else is too slow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©