3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back quiver for hunting?  (Read 758 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Back quiver for hunting?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »
Have used about every quiver out there. Some good ones. Now, Heavy leather BQ only.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
For all you back quiver lovers, is there a flexible one on the market or some kind of template to follow to build your own?  I've only used a couple and didn't like them at all.  I had the usual problems, noisy, hangs up in bruch (two strap varieties), etc.  After reading the article above I'm willing to try again.  I just need a point in the right direction.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
I have used an old leather back quiver for over 20 years. It suede with some fringe on it. I think it's an old youth quiver. I put a chunk of foam in the bottom and use a arrow gripper taken from an old Pearson bow quiver. The shape of the gripper fits right in the top of the quiver and holds the shafts apart so they don't rattle around. A two blade head pulls out easily through the slots in the shape of the gripper. Like others have said, slings under the arm for getting through brush. It's a small quiver and only holds 4 arrows the way I have it rigged but it has served me well. I keep thinking about getting a new one but I think I'll stick with old faithful. It has been with me so long I would feel funny in the woods without it.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:00 AM »
I really like back quivers, and have been planning on making one for some time. However, I got a chance to check out one of the safari-tuff arrowmaster quivers and it seems perfect for climbing through brush, bad weather ect.  I think I'm sold on it.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by gringol:
For all you back quiver lovers, is there a flexible one on the market or some kind of template to follow to build your own?  I've only used a couple and didn't like them at all.  I had the usual problems, noisy, hangs up in bruch (two strap varieties), etc.  After reading the article above I'm willing to try again.  I just need a point in the right direction.
Rob D. posted this in the how-to section of this site. It's the one I used...works great for me.

http://www.tradgang.com/backquiver/
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
I have to tell you that although i use a bow quiver and love it, I think there is something really special about back quivers---they just create a special visual mood when you see them.

The articles Rob D. posted were superb and I enjoyed reading them very much.  I had 2 old back quivers which I bought from Herter's back in the 1960's.  They were stolen from me along with quite a few bows including my good old Rocky Mountain Recurve.  Would sure love to have my old stuff back, and those quivers were very good.  Thanks for posting this thread.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
A well made Hill style backquiver, wide & flat, with medium weight leather that's broken in and flexible, with a rolled top edge, is a joy to use in the woods if you know how to do it right.

Last weekend I hunted with Rik, in some horribly dense mahogany thickets...he with his bowquiver and backpack, me with my backquiver and fannypack.  Needless to say, he is using a different pack system next time as he was constantly making noise getting through the brush.  When I go through brush, the quiver slides to my side, and I can duck down pretty low and quiet, and there's nothing on my bow to hang up on brush.

I see backquivers made out of too soft leather, for quietness, but they collapse too much for me to getting arrows in and out.  Bridle leather is very easy to break in like a baseball glove, super flexible, and won't stiffen in the cold weather like latigo, yet is about 8 - 10 oz which gives lots of durability and broadhead protection.  A quiver that is too small in diameter required more of a straight-out movement to remove an arrow, requiring long arms and a big movement.  A large quiver will flatten, making it easier to remove an arrow diagonally out of the quiver for a lower profile arm movement. A quiver that's not too stiff will allow you to bump the bottom with your hand/elbow to make reaching arrows easier.

Offline ErikT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Bow quiver all the way for hunting.  The main advantage above all else is that your bow-quiver-arrows are all a self-contained single unit!  Why cary an extra piece of gear?
www.yankeehunter.com
Hunt much? ©

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Nate,

My next one is going to be bigger, like the one you are wearing. I used Rob's pattern for my first, and while I like it a lot, it is on the small side. I'm going to use this one for a while though. That 8-10 ounce leather is pretty pricey for a first attempt at least. I triple layered the top of the quiver, so it stays open pretty well. The bottom as triple leather and a piece of carpet to protect the broadheads.

Where can one find hides of bridle leather?
NRA Life Member

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Where can I find a decent back quiver?
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
Nate Steen (aka Sunset Hill) makes one that is more than decent. See the pictures earlier in this thread.
NRA Life Member

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I use my HH back quiver unless it's really wet or snowy, then I shift to a Safri Tuff.
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Google  English Bridle leather....there are a few manufactures.  If you work the leather in your hands, like you did with a baseball glove when you were a kid, it will be soft and supple, yet thick....perfect.  Latigo doesn't ever really get as soft unless you use thinner leather.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I grew up using backquivers so its all I use. I see the pros and cons of them, but just dont feel right without one on my back....I made this one out of bison leather, its about 11 years old.

David M. Conroy

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Mike's Archery Leather.....Mike makes great back quivers.

NICE guy too.

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
Use BW Arrowmaster and works great can wear traditional or Asbell style. Arrow fletching stays dry in wet conditions.

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
Another back quiver guy.  I made this one over 25 years ago and it's has been my hunting quiver ever since.    

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
I picked up a safari tuff this year and i love it!!
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Is the pope Catholic?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©