3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't use FF with wood tips!!! (pics)  (Read 604 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't use FF with wood tips!!! (pics)
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
I use FF type strings on my self bows too with no problems.
And what about all the "FF ready" bows that have wood tips and work perfectly well? Does a bowyer drop the "FF Ready" designation if the customer asks for wood tips? None of mine have.
You see a sad pic like that and it consists of a broken bow........and a string Hmmm well what could it be? Glue starvation, bad lamb build up, poorly made tip, dry fire, car door....... whatever.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
You can make any bow FF capable with a little bit of knowledge a sanding block, some epoxy and a couple pieces of phenolic. I've done it to lots of my old bows from the 60's and 70's with no problems at all. Using FF on a bow with tip overlays that aren't made for it is just asking for trouble. It's a shame that bow was ruined...

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Doesn't appear the nock groove itself was damaged. Only where the string rode on the shoulders of the tip, as the string ripped right straight down on either side of the nock groove. Perhaps the string was not even in the nock groove. Poor bow design?

:dunno:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Silly question,scorn me if you like,but other than a few fps,what are the benefitts of ff strings?  :dunno:

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Yep.............samething with my browning wasp and FF string.........
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
ouch!!! same thing happens if you shoot too light of arrows(been there and done that!!)
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Looks like it was a terrific Wapiti.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
I've seen this a couple of times. I'm repairing an old Howatt now that met a similar fate. Although it very well could have been a dry fire, more than likely it was from repeated use with a low stretch string with tips not built for it's use.

Pointer stated " You can make any bow FF capable with a little bit of knowledge a sanding block, some epoxy and a couple pieces of phenolic. I've done it to lots of my old bows from the 60's and 70's with no problems at all. Using FF on a bow with tip overlays that aren't made for it is just asking for trouble. It's a shame that bow was ruined..."  

Yep, I agree 100%.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Stump_pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Huh I saw that on time but my cousin dropped his bow from a tree stand. I didnt know you could do it by using the wrong string. Lear somthing everyday on tradgang
Wes wallace recurve 58#@29
Bear Kodiak static recurve 70#@28
PBS member

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
That would suck!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
However to arbitrarily blame the string material may be jumping to conclusions.
Ah...I hate to sound confrontational because I sure don't mean it this way...BUT, it is certainly not arbitrary. Neither am I jumping to conclusions. This is a direct result of FF material being used on a bow that was not meant for it.

I know some bows with wooden tips have handled FF strings without problem. That certainly doesn't mean that all will. Obviously some types of wood are better suited for that kind of force, this one wasn't.

ALSO, per the owner, the bow was not dry-fired. I realize that some guys are not truthful in a potentially embarrassing situation like this, but I know this gentlemen and trust his word.

I am not sure how many shots were fired before this happened. I can't even venture a guess.

The bow is a Wapiti. Keith has maybe as much experience as anybody in the world when it comes to building bows. He has seen this before in his and other people's bows. Keith is giving this customer a full warranty, even though his warranty wouldn't cover the use of a FF string or a dry-fire. It is an honorable move on Keith's part.

Like I said, I have not seen this in person before now. I have heard talk by reputable bowyers and bowhunters that this is exactly what happens. Tom, my Dad, has seen this happen to several bows when using FF with wooden tips. Exact same breakage.

Was the tip damaged or improperly made prior to breaking? I suppose there is no way to know for sure. However, since the bottom tip was cracked and also about to break, and since Keith is no spring chicken when it comes to building bows, and since my Dad and others have seen the exact same damage from FF, it is doubtful.  

I put these pictures here purely for educational purposes. I figured many of you guys would be interested in seeing this. Lets not jump to any conclusions  ;)  No need to put down the bowyer or argue about potential causes. Nothing new here. It was an unfortunate accident. That's it.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline AKCrazyhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
In 2003 my landlord wanted to shoot my Robertson Perigrine.  That was my first trad bow and I took my first whitetail buck with it.  He assured me he had shot many bows.  While I had my back turned he drew it and promptly dry fired it.  The illustrations above happened to both top and bottom limbs.  He felt terrible and promised to buy me a new one.....I'm still waiting.  Never had that happen outside a dry fire.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
I lost a beautiful old Grizzly that i treasured by putting a fast flight string on it. I left it strung a couple of hours and it did exactly what the pictured bow did. split the limbs down both sides. It absolutely was not being shot and had never been shot with the string. Just strung and hung on the rack in my bow shop. It was my first experience with ff on trad bows.
the bow in the second pic had the phenolic cut down too thin. You should not cut into the bottom layer of phenolic. if so then just barely.

The shape of the string notch should be cut in a teardrop shape. rounded across the top and then down the sides to a teardrop. no shoulders or anything to catch on. Great care should be taken in fitting the string and making sure it lays in the grooves right.I use phenolic on all ff bows . Wood and horn or antler is added in a thin layer on the top and is for looks only.
I know people will argue about this. Its ok if you do. But the lesson you learn could have been learned easier than mine was.

God bless you all and Merry Christmas, Steve

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 01:01:00 AM »
I saw the same thing happen to my brothers Mamba many years ago.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Sixby, your explanation of applying the phenolic and cutting the string grooves is spot on.    :thumbsup:  

No argument from me.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©