3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Javelina hunts in Texas?  (Read 276 times)

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
Javelina hunts in Texas?
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I would like to hear from guys that have hunted javelina in Tx.  Where did you go, cost, etc...
We were thinking of going around March.  Any input would be appreciated.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Javelina hunts in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Two friends and I hunted javelina on the King Ranch several years ago.It was the Norias division of the ranch just north of Raymondville,Tx.We hunted during the last of Feb. and the first week of March as I recall.Primitive camped at an old cowboy bunkhouse located about 9 or 10 miles back from the highway.There were a few other hunters there as well--all camping in tents or campers.The bunkhouse itself was reserved for the guide that was there at that time taking care of the hunting concession in that area.No drinking water available but water for other uses was available.There was a walk-in cooler and a portable john available.All hunters camped in the same campground but all hunted different areas.My two friends and I actually had a 10,000 acre pasture to ourself for 5 days.Security was very tight.You had to be back in camp no later than dark each day.Shoot something close to dark and instead of searching for it you were required to report back to camp and let the guy know you had shot an animal.He would then let you go back to retrieve it.We actually had to write our names on our arrows with a permanent pen.You were only allowed to travel in a vehicle from the camping area to your hunting area and of course within your hunting area itself.Lots of huge deer that seemed almost tame-like as they received little pressure.Javelina,hogs,and vamints were eligible game.Nilgai was also huntable if you happen to run across one.I think our cost at that time was about $25 or $30 for a 4 or 5 day license and then it was $60 per day for each of us as I recall.We were allowed 2 javelinas and 4 hogs for that price I think.This hunt was actually written about in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine in the Feb. 2001 issue.I would love to go back some day but I am sure those prices are severely outdated.I am not even sure the King Ranch still does those type of hunts.It would be worth doing some research on it though.Good luck if you decide to go this route.My avatar picture under my name was actually taken on that hunt.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I hunted with Ken Burton on 14000 acres south of Ft. Stockton a couple of years ago. There were lots of javelina, and he had ground blinds that were trad bow friendly.  We stayed at a ranch house on the property. There were only two of us hunting at the time; myself and fellow TGer Josh Adams. We both got javelina.
I think we paid $150/day, which included everything but food. Ken Burton was a good guy, and he has loads of javelina. We went in late March.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
The King Ranch is not for the working man any longer.It is an amazing ranch for sure.

Lance I sent you a PM.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I had seen Ken Burton mentioned in a previous post when I did a search.  I'll give him a call.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Keeping an eye on this thread. Going to Texas in 2012 specifically for hogs and javi's!!  
 Right now I'm in the planning stages of where and when.  :thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline fishntrap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
I have been to texas three times for pigs and javis. Loved goining everytime!! I shot a javi the last time I went with a 60# Thunderstick MOAB. All three times I went i hunted with Lazy R Hunts, saw a lot of pigs and javis.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
One of the sponsors on here, Kent Ostrem of Mahaska Bows does Texas javelina hunts out in west Texas.

http://www.mahaskacustombows.com/page4.htm
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I have been with Kent Ostrem once and he is a great guy and we had a fun hunt but for some reason, that year the javis were just hard to find.  We got 2 between 4 of us but one of the guys missed one.
Last year we went with Curtis Keller.  Eight of us went last year and one guy got 2 javis and the rest got none.  A couple other guys had shots.  One guy saw a hog and missed it.  Not as good of a setup for camping, etc as Ostrem had.
We are going with Burton this year. I had a connection with the game warden in Ft Stockton and he gave him a good recommendation.  I'll let you know after our hunt how it went but talking to him sounds like he has good javi numbers right now and he is also taking us out on some night predator calling for an extra fee.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
There is gov land that is available to the public....areas in the Trans-Pecos area of West Texas; just requires a permit for a nominal fee:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Pedernal Bowhunts in Laredo TX.

A few years back, 15 of us met at the Laguna Ranch for a traditional archery only bowhunt sponsored by The Bowyers Journal magazine. It was fantastic! We all stayed in the bunkhouse and enjoyed really good Tex Mex meals by their cook. We were into javelina almost constantly for three days. In the end I believe there were 17 javelina and 1 hog killed. I was lucky and killed two javies in the last hour.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Try Brett Bolting He took over for Jeff Massey who had the hunts on the King ranch and the Cadena . We've hunted the Cadena for 10 years and always have had good luck . This year Brett will have a new ranch next door to the Cadena and it has not yet been bowhunted. Last year my 2 friends and I took 10 animals .I chose to only take one Javie (I like the hogs more) and could have shot more. They do a great job of baiting and will help you with anything I highly recommend them....Tim

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I forgot Bretts  phone # 361-727-2685 -- 361-947-9424

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
Wow! Lots of great information.  Looks like I need to get on the phone.  I'll post what we decide and try to update the hunt once it happens.  Thanks again to everyone.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Great thread.  I've been wanting to go on a javi/hog hunt and I'd love to get back to Texas (did most of my Army time at Ft. Hood).  Absolutely love the Lone Star State!!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
last year I went with Kent O of Mahaska and had a great time.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
ttt
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Looks like a few of us Michiganders are thinking road trip!!!  :readit:    :saywhat:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Are the javi hunts with Kent un-guided? I want to plan a hunt with a sponsor, but I do not want a guide.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
The very first response from Junglecat sounds exactly like a hunt I went on at the King Ranch a couple of times.  It was booked through 4 Arrows Outfitters for bow only hunters. You were allowed 2 hogs, 2 Javalina and one nilgai for each 2 days booked. We all scored on various animals but left with hogs, javalina and nilgai (blue bulls)

The last year I hunted there, the Wenzel brothers showed up with 2 trailers and had a few of their hunts there. Don't know how well they did.

WoodsyDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©