3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 35# (arrow advice?)  (Read 192 times)

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
35# (arrow advice?)
« on: December 15, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Just bought a 35# bow(recurve) at my 28" dl.
Im thinking a .600 spine carbon arrow should be right?
I'd like to shoot a fairly heavy arrow, as i may use this rig for deer hunting.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve.

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 35# (arrow advice?)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ybuck:
Just bought a 35# bow(recurve) at my 28" dl.
Im thinking a .600 spine carbon arrow should be right?
I'd like to shoot a fairly heavy arrow, as i may use this rig for deer hunting.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Steve.

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
---
Steve.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
whatever you use get close and have a heavy sharp tip.

Don't know the first thing about carbon arrows.

You need to know the point wt to figure the spine whatever the arrow material.

You thinking appx 200 tip?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
whatever you use get close and have a heavy sharp tip.

Don't know the first thing about carbon arrows.

You need to know the point wt to figure the spine whatever the arrow material.

You thinking appx 200 tip?
close range for sure.
I'd like to shoot the Magnus 150 gr. 2 blade head.
Steve.

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
A 600 Beman classic is what I would try. Leave it full length, 50 grs. up front with something like a Zwickey Eskalite broadhead. That would give you about 450grs. total. A little heavy but if you keep your shots 15 yds. and under it will work fine. Trim your arrow from the nock end, you may have to fletch a few times.

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Your on the right track with the 600 size. I've seen Gold Tip Entradas 600s fly nice too. But I'm a Beman fan.

Offline greenbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
I too shoot a 35#.  Been using 500 spine w/100 gr brass inserts and a zwickey "eskilite/black diamond head".  Arrows are GT Hunter XT, but I plan to switch to Beman Bowhunters (about $20 cheaper). I've only been at it since June, but have taken two groundhogs and a doe so far.  Arrow went through the deer- not a complete pass through upon impact, but there was a blood trail on both sides as I recovered her. Arrows seem to fly pretty true when target shooting- not always perfect, but could also be due to imperfections in my form.  

The one thing I wish I had done when I had arrows made for me was to leave them longer.  The shop cut them for me where they thought it would be best, but they're a little short with the broadheads on and if I'm not careful, the BH can come up on the rest and completely throw off my aim.  

I'm ordering longer ones next week...

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:32:00 AM »
Use Easton Axis 600's, brass inserts (you can get 50, 75 or 100 grain inserts) and then if you're going to hunt, use a high mechanical advantage (MA) point like the Grizzly, STOS or Abowyer.  The key thing is to get the arrow flying perfectly. As noted above, you can leave arrow long to start, but with 600's and 100 grain insert with 150 grain head, you've got 250 up front and depending on your draw length, this may actually be too weak of spine depending on the center shot of your bow, string type ,ect.  

A good friend of mine started his boys hunting with 20# Bear recurves.  I had set them up with Axis Junior shafts (no longer made), left full length @ 28 inches with 225 grains up front using Grizzly 2 blade head.  They killed 4 deer in 2 years, all with complete penetration.  All shot from a treestand at less than 15 yards.  

High performance strings, skinny carbon arrows (like the Easton Axis or Beeman MFX), extreme front of center (FOC) weighting and a super sharp 2 blade head that is long and narrow will let you kill deer all day long with your setup. Accuracy and perfect arrow flight is a key to making it work once you have the recipe.

(side note, I like the Axis over the Beeman MFX. Both are made by Easton, but the Axis allows for easier front loading and seemed to tune better for me than the MFX, which has an overall higher grains per inch weight than the Axis)

Good luck.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
My guess is Grizzly Stik Sitka's cut to proper length/head weight would do you well.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
When I was lookin' for arrows for my wife's bow I was gonna get some GT 15/35 but Big Jim recommended the Gold Tip Entradas 600s.   :thumbsup:  They fly great and I'm plannin' on orderin' another dozen cause they fly so good out of my selbows.  Check 'em out....But whatever you do....Leave 'em long!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©