3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should I Field Dress?  (Read 621 times)

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
Should I Field Dress?
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
I'll be hunting for deer with a outfitter this month. This will be my first time deer hunting. The outfitter said from morning till 4pm they don't want people driving around in their vehicle or ATV to get their game. So my question is, when you take your deer and recover it what do you do? Do I drag it back to my blind or under a tree away from the sun? Do I need to field dress the buck? How fast does the deer start to spoil if I don't field dress it right away? If I need to field dress what type of knife do I need? I have a Bark River GamesKeeper.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should I Field Dress?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
You would think the outfitter has a means of contacting them in you have game down, rather than let it sit all day????
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Field dress the deer.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
I field dress game as soon as possible.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Depends on whether you need to bring the carcass out whole or not.  I don't field dress, I field butcher.  All meat comes out boneless except for the quarters.  The rest can stay in the woods.

Depends on state regs, though.  Some do require you to check the whole carcass.  If that's the case, you need to field dress it as soon as you recover the animal.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
If I'm hunting on my own...which is always, I take care of my kill right away.  Field dress or bone it out...

Since you are hunting with an outfitter, ask him.  Most have certain ideas about how they want to go about dealing with their game taken in the field....they may have reservations about gut piles, or carcases left in an area where clients are hunting, and you may spoil an area where you can return to hunt yourself later that day, or the next.   Ask the outfitter, he'll spell out his wishes!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Explain to the outfitter that you are a "new guy" and need some coaching.  I'm sure they will give you instructions on what they would like you too do.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
I always field dress ASAP.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I doubt leaving your animal for a few hours will hurt it in December weather.

We don't hesitate to leave animals overnight, I don't know why leaving it for part of the day would hurt this time of the year.  

Besides, according to your post, he didn't say to not field dress, he said not to drive.

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Decomposition starts when the heart quits beating. The best way to slow that down is to cool off the body as soon as possible.I like to gut mine as soon as I can and get it off the gound if only six inches. That being said I've had to leave a three overnight in 39 years of bowhuinting and two were fine (one was a bear) and the other one wasn't. Just to be safe I don't waste any time getting them gutted.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. Is there a certain style knife you use to gut or any knife will do.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I field dress as soon as possible.  Some guides and or areas don't like to have field dressing happen.  As to knives I think you will be fine with most anything as long as it is sharp.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline psychmonky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
As long as you have a saw for the pelvis, any sharp knife will work. For strictly gutting I actually prefer a small pocket knife with a blade of about 3". It let's you get in tight spots, and its less clunky than a big blade.

ASK THE OUTFITTER weather you should or not! As stated above he may not want gutpiles.

Scott
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
I field dress all of my game.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline 5deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
if you have an animal down every thing stops... taking care of it is #1. gutting and cooling the meat is #1. getting the animal out and hung for skining no matter what time of day is #2 what are you paying for. sounds like you need to call them and ask alot more questions. if not get a new outfitter.
I've  seen  things  you  people  wouldn't  believe

"Have faith in God"  Mark  11:22

Offline zootown2007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Field dress it once the animal is down.Period IMO. I use a simple Buck Knife with a gut hook on it.
Riley

“What avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
Depends on whether you need to bring the carcass out whole or not.  I don't field dress, I field butcher.  All meat comes out boneless except for the quarters.  The rest can stay in the woods.

Depends on state regs, though.  Some do require you to check the whole carcass.  If that's the case, you need to field dress it as soon as you recover the animal.
x2
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
Field dress immediately. There are many good videos on this on UTube.

A good knife obviously would be a sharp knife. A Buck 110 would be a good choice. The Buck folder up top is a titanium version and an excellent knife for dressing deer.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Its your hunt & your animal-let the outfitter know it will be field dressed right away,either by him or by you,but it will be done.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Hard to find a sharp knife that won't work. More than one animal has been dressed with a broadhead (not convenient).  Any sharp knife with a a 3"-4" blade should work great.  Gut hooks work well but really only save a minute or so.  I like a blade with some thickness to it for disassembling joints.

Have a second blade of some sort.  If you misplace your main knife during dressing, or it gets dragged across too much hair and dulled, a second blade is nice to have.  I usually have a Leatherman in my pack and its blade will take a whole elk apart with no issues if need be.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©