3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should I Field Dress?  (Read 620 times)

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should I Field Dress?
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Speaking as someone who was a butcher for the better part of a decade - Field dress immediately and be sure to remove the entire intestinal track. Make a circular incision around its bum bum then it will just come right out when you gut it. Makes all the difference in the world. Waiting anything more than 20 minutes will make the meat taste gamey. Once you get the goop out, if you do it right, conditions permitting, you're good for as much as a day.

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
oh and the knife- the sharper the better and personally I prefer a good 6 inch blade. Unless you dont mind being a bloody mess, a longer blade helps keep the blood off you. Just watch your fangers and the hide if your intend on saving it.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
I'll be hunting up around Marianna. It is near the panhandle of Florida close to the Alabama border. I will speak to the outfitter about field dressing. I was just concern with more then a dozen hunters on this 4000+ acres property it might take them time to come get my game. I don't want to sit around and let the deer get spoil. I know since it is a paid hunt I should let the guide do everything. But I have to learn sooner or later so why not now. If I am careful I should be able to remove all the inside guts without contaminating the meat.

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by bolo7735:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Is there a certain style knife you use to gut or any knife will do.
Your Barkie is fine.  I prefer a shorter blade, to be honest but yours should work just fine assuming it's nice and sharp.

I personally use a Becker BK11.  I like that the blade is juuuuust long enough for me to cover the spine with my index finger.  That way when you are up to your elbows in the gooey bits, you can feel exactly where your blade is and can hopefully avoid cutting any of your own tender flesh.

You'll be fine.  As has already been mentioned, tell the outfitter that you are a new hunter (or new big game killer anyway) and they should be able to help you out.

As to splitting the pelvis - some do that that and some don't.  It's not mandatory and you don't need to bring an ax or saw if you don't want.  Certainly, don't try to break that with your Barkie - that's a nice knife.

Do you guys worry about predators coming around for your game or sniffing around after your field dressed?
No. They worry about me.   :D

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
I like to drag the deer out of my stand area before I field dress. Ive had deer be startled by lots of blood on the ground. Critters will clean it up soon enough, I still like to field dress away from where im hunting.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Field dress it, drag it into the shade if it isn't already and prop the cavity open with a stick that's 12-14 inches long. A sharp pocket knife will work just fine for deer or any other North American game animal.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
I'll be hunting up around Marianna. It is near the panhandle of Florida close to the Alabama border. I will speak to the outfitter about field dressing. I was just concern with more then a dozen hunters on this 4000+ acres property it might take them time to come get my game. I don't want to sit around and let the deer get spoil. I know since it is a paid hunt I should let the guide do everything. But I have to learn sooner or later so why not now. If I am careful I should be able to remove all the inside guts without contaminating the meat.
The deer won't spoil in a matter of a few hours. I never field dress deer. I load them up and skin/quarter at camp....I'm betting the outfitter will do something similar. They are probably set up with a nice skinning station. That would be the place to learn. Ask the guide to walk you through it and let you try skinning/quartering yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©