3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to shoot first?  (Read 408 times)

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
What to shoot first?
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
This month deer hunt, the outfitter said I can take one buck, 2 does, and all the hogs I want. My questions, what should I shoot since it is my first time deer hunting let alone I am doing it with a longbow? All my friends said shoot the buck first then does. Also, should I shoot any hogs, if I do will that spook any buck or does that might come later?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to shoot first?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
What is it you want to shoot?  Are you prepared to shoot nothing to shoot what you really are after?  If you have hunted hogs and really want a deer, I would say shoot a deer and hold off on the hogs.  Personally it would depend a lot on where I was hunting, and what kind of buck would most likely be seen.  I can get selective if there are some nice buck routinely in the area.  Not much of a worry where I hunt, but on a guided hunting that could be very different.  Most time when hunting I would shoot them in the following order:

First thing that shows up
Second thing that shows up
Third thing that shows up
And so on

Oh sure I would be holding out for a big buck to show, but I am a meat hunter at heart and have a hard time not dropping the string when given a good shot opportunity.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
If I were you, I wouldn't get very picky on your first hunt. Anything that you get to shoot will be something to remember for a long time. Lots of people on this site have been hunting with trad equipment for years without taking a big game animal. If you get an ethical shot, drop the string!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
I agree with Centaur, it's all good
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
What Pat said....take the first good, ethical shot opportunity you get, and relish the experience.  There is a lot to learn in this endeavor of hunting with trad gear, and it's always a big plus for your confidence, and your learning curve.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
That's a question only bolo7735 can answer.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Your decision of course.

Personally, I'd sure like a little experience before the buck of a life-time pops up. Imagine if you kill a couple does?  Then when the next deer shows up you can visualize how those does worked out (if it worked out well).

I was a 1-day guest on a nice spot in TX a few years ago. I killed a doe and then 30 minutes later a hog. The hog ran over the dead doe on a trail as he moved off to die.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
if its a guided hunt,....ask your guide.
 he surely knows the area and your best chances for what ever,  bucks,does hogs.   good luck.

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
in trad bow hunting you take the first good/ethical shot oportunity you get. its all up to you though. depending on how long you are hunting I would want to break the ice and make a good kill first.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
What a great dilemma!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I think only you can make that choice......not to be negative....you my not get a shot at anything! Seeing game and getting a chance to make a killing shot are two different things!  Good luck!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bolo7735

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks everyone. I am not looking for a trophy. I will be happy to connect with a deer. My thoughts is to take out the first game as long the shot is ethical. But all my friend's who of course uses compound to wait for the buck first. There reason is if I kill a doe with will spook the buck out. Is there any truth to this?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by bolo7735:
There reason is if I kill a doe with will spook the buck out. Is there any truth to this?
I have seen it go both ways.  I used to worry more about it, but now I don't.  Leaving a lot of scent in a spot after tracking, gutting and dragging something out can stir things up some because you leave your scent there.  As for the blood and all, I have seen deer walk up to dead ones, walk right past gut piles, and stop to sniff a bloody arrow and not get jumpy.  Had a doe sniff a bloody arrow this year in fact; could have shot her also, but had too much work to do with the first one.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Shoot the first thing that comes by, at my place if hogs or bears are nearby the deer leave..if bears are near everything  leaves. If you have a week or more to.hunt then hold out for a buck if thats really what you want, if you just want some meat then first ethical shot at either

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Shoot what is available first. Get selective after you've connected. Best wishes...let us know how it all turned out.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
I try not to worry about what everyone else thinks I should do. Jerky tastes better than horns. Take a bunch of pics no matter what you decide.  :thumbsup:  

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Let the animals decide who goes first.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
The only passed shots I'd want to hear about on this hunt were high or low.  If it's on your list. . .shoot it!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Pick the biggest one! Doesn't matter what species or sex, just shoot the biggest one.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I agree with boznarras  :readit:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©