3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For Sale...  (Read 743 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: For Sale...
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
I chased my dad about 5 miles one time with his and my bows on top of the canopy of his truck.  Lucky he didn't make it to the freeway b4 I caught him.

Bow meets hiway at high speed.  . .not good!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Ouch, Sorry to see that happen. I had a steel deer cart fly out of the back of my truck on the interstate a couple years ago. Fortunately it only suffered some minor road rash. I wouldn't have ever thought it would have caught enough air to lift it out. I lay it on its side and bungee it down now.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
oh man, that is just sickeningly UGLY.  

another good bow gone bad, so sorry   ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
When I first seen the pic I thought what does the shooter look like?
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
ouch!!! im very sorry for your loss
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
That really sucks.  Hard lesson to learn.  

I used to carry my longbows in the cab of my truck.  They just barely fit inside and I was always afraid of slamming the door on the tips.  Now I transport them unstrung in a large, heavy piece of that green sewer pipe in the bed of the pickup.  I can usually fit three longbows in fleece socks inside and if for some reason they take flight they should survive.  Unless a Kenworth doing 65 mashes them.  

Thanks go to Mudd for sending me a Hill Cheetah in that pipe a few months ago.  The bow has been sold, but the pipe is working out great.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Never heard of them going airborne from a truck bed, but there is a big vortex behind the cab according to Myth Busters!

Seen many more stories like Wingnut's with bows, guns, you name it laid on top the cap or cap and people take off forgetting them... byebye...  :(

You sound like you've got a good perspective on this most sad situation...makes my belly jump to look!  :(
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
Hey man,

I feel you, thats where my handle came from.  I had and old BP cougar with a strap on quiver.  Well feather tend to cause a bit of drag and 70 mph down the highway was enough to suck it right out.  A bow can only take so many bounces on pavement before it shatters.  

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline SilverLine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Mikebiz,

That's exactly what a buddy and I were talking about.  I think the next time I transport one, it will be housed in a pvc pipe with a screw top.  The fleece sock is a good adder too.

Offline SilverLine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
I appreciate the responses on this post.  It really was therapeutic for me.  Very sickening.  I hope others will learn from this mistake.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
My son put his first little longbow in the back of my truck going home from a tournament one afternoon--met an 18-wheeler on the highway, same thing happened.  I saw it in the rear-view mirrow as it flew through the air...and the idiot behind us in a little Tracker or something that didn't even try to dodge it...

Good news is it only got dinged up--my son outgrew it years ago, and several other kids have shot it since.

I've got one hanging on my shop wall that isn't quite the delaminated, but just as useless...it didn't even get hit by a truck.  Belonged to a friend, delaminated the first time it was drawn...at least you have a good excuse!

Chad

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Won't the bowyer warranty it? Just kiddin, Sorry about your loss.

God bless and merry Christmas. Steve

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
Never put anything in the back of a truck you care about without securing it down. I've had suit cases and tote tubs weighing at least 35 lbs fly out the back and one time I had a $4000 custom gun that weighed 17 lbs in a aluminum case catch wind and leave. Lucky the case did it's job.

When you are doing 70 mph and an 18 wheeler blows by you at the same speed stuff happens.

Edit: Oh and one of my pet peeves.. What happens when your unsecured stuff leaves the truck and there is someone on a motorcycle right behind you? Totally irrepressible!
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Ouch! Man, that would make me sick. And I mean a really sick feeling for sure. Sorry for ya bud.   :(
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
I love my bows too much. They never ride in the back.

Sorry for your loss.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
I have seen a 40 pound Australian Shepherd trained herding dog lifted off his feet and thrown into the back of the pickup's tailgate when passed in the the opposite direction by a semi.  Please keep man's best friend in the cab with you...he deserves it as much as our bows.

Mark

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
It is a great idea to secure anything in the back.  Several years ago we had a local guy get killed when a mattress he was riding on (to hold it down) blew out of the truck going down the highway.  Hard lesson--what my folks call a "bought lesson".

Chad

Offline whipbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I got to see s strong man today. I was there and witnessed this accident first hand. After helping search, I helped examine the wreckage but Nick was a strong and took it well. Now the search for another bow begins!
It took nearly a year to find this one. haha
Carl

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
Yeah, I think we all have done it, at one time!

I left a white ash flatbow I had made, on the top of my Buick car, as my buddies and me left for a club shoot at Cloverdale, late '80s.

Remembered, as I heard a thump, about a block away from the house. Luckily, the bow suffered just a little road rash!

Had a family friend, neighbor, experience a life ending accident. He went to local lumber yard, bougth 2 sheets plywood, just a few miles away.
One sheet took flight at an intersection, and went thrut he windsheild of small truck, killing driver.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
I'd buy it but I don't care for the takedown system...in all seriousness sorry for your loss    :scared:    :banghead:
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©