3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows for tall guys  (Read 253 times)

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows for tall guys
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Hello,
Anyone know where a guy can get carbon or aluminum arrows longer than 33 inches?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows for tall guys
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
You could use the information in this thread:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=109099
to make long arrows. Just use two arrows to make one and you could join them to make up to about 66", but you'll probably want them shorter than that.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Can't help you with your question but.....
Just how big an ol' boy are you?   :scared:   Can't imagine needing a longer arrow  :dunno:

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I have repaired a few Aluminumn arrows by inserting 3 to 4 inches of a carbon arrow into the nock end of the arrow , half and half in each piece and epoxying them in.  
Turns them into a unibushing type nock system. You will need a little more weight upfront as this also will stiffen arrows up a little.  
This could also be done to lengthen arrows.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
good reply bowmarks. i know someone who did just that and it works Great give it a go DK    :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
Some of the larger size aluminum like 2117,2216 and some others are I believe 34" long.I believe Carbon Express Maxima are 33" long,I think they are about one of the longest carbons.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Is it possible to contact the mfr and ask for a special order ?  I presume these aluminum shafts are more or less extruded in some fashion and chopped to certain lengths.  Is it possible to just get em made longer for a few dozen ?
ChuckC

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
How tall is the guy needing the arrows??

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I am only 6ft 3inches but i have got some long ole arms. I had my wife mark on a 33 inch arrow at full draw and it was on the field point. I had no idea I was doing this. I killed a turkey last spring with a broad head but i have changed my form. As I got better and stronger I drew more and  more arrow. I just sent my bow back to bob lee to get the weight reduced from 71 to about 64lbs. JJ at bob lee said that I should look for longer arrows. I shoot beman ics bowhunters full 33 shaft and use all of it. I dont want to think about cutting my finger off when I  am getting ready to shoot an elk. Thanks for the help.
DK

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
I got some (18) 2314 XX75 that run 34-35", a couple are 33"+. I'll never use them, If your interested PM me.

AlthoughI doubt they would be stiff enough at that length for your draw weight.

Eric

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Are you drawing Olympic style?  Everyone has their own style of shooting, and there is nothing wrong w/ that if it works.We think of most sports as being played w/ our hands and that is true, but in reality it is our feet that get a lot of the job done. Perhaps something as simple as moving your feet(less perpendicular) to close your chest, will cut that extra length down.  Swivel the hips as you bend and draw. Its a bit uncomfortable at first, but it should work wonders on draw length.
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I have been told to shorten my draw length in the past and it drove me nuts. I personally like a long draw length and will always adjust my setup to my body. I find that when the pressure is on I revert to what feels most comfortable. If the most comfortable way for you to shoot means a 33" draw, then use aluminum arrows or add an aluminum footing to the end of carbon arrows. There are aluminum arrows out there which are 34" long, and a footed carbon can be long enough to do the job. Oh and welcome to tradgang!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
You could foot some woodies and make them as long as you want.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
If you go to the "How To Resources" section there is some information about what size aluminum shafts fit what carbons,for the purpose of externally footing the carbon shaft.

You could do the same thing but with a longer aluminum footing and use the proper sized insert in the aluminum footing rather than an insert in the carbon shaft.Cut the aluminum footing say,2" long and the insert would take up about an inch.The remaining inch of tubing slides over and is epoxied to the end of your carbon.This would lengthen your shaft about an inch plus it would strengthen the end of your carbon and prevent it from splitting due to hard impacts.

Offline DKdc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Is PM personal message? Do I look at their personal email and send a message from my peronal email?
DK

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Click on "My Profile" above and that will show you your personal messages.You can click on the message,then reply.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©