3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snake Skin Input  (Read 328 times)

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Snake Skin Input
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
We have alot of copperheads and other snakes around our farm weather its on our land or nieghboring farms.  Since I start trad shooting, and seen the use for snake skins I have been pondering the idea of building a trap in some "honey holes" and sell skins or trade for other trad stuff I want.  My question is would I have to skin myself or could I sell and ship whole snake frozen (would people even buy them that way)?  If I skin myself is there any guidelines to follow, such as where to make the first cut, tools to use, how to dry?  Any and all opinions welcome.  

Also how long would a snake have to be to skin a 60" takedown bow, or would it take two?  Is there a certain minimum size that is workable?
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline bk_tradguy88

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snake Skin Input
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I would be sure to check out game laws on this first. There are regulations reguarding snakes. i would probably make that priority number 1. Just my opinion.
B

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
i'd skin it first, then freeze it.  check youtube for skinning lessons

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Cut the head off, slit it up the belly, pull skin off, staple or tack to board scale side down, flesh with spoon, let air dry, roll up and put in ziplock.

I sort my skins in matching pairs then sell or trade.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
My friend and I used a recommended water and glycerin solution we found on the internet and soaked the skins 24 hrs. took them out and let them dry with no tacking down and were impressed with the results.The glycerin is a softening agent and makes the skins very pliable.I plan to skin my curve next summer after I get one more diamondback.In Mississippi you cannot sell native species legally.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Cool en-devour David. I have paid up to $150 for a pair of copperheads.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
At what point is a snake considered to big for bow backing?
I've run across 17 diamondbacks in the past 6 weeks, the smallest being just over 5', largest was 7' maybe longer. Unfortunately I'm seeing them when I have nothing to kill them with. Tried killing one yesterday with a broken branch, but the branch crumbled when it hit the snake.
Haven't seen buzzworms in this abundance in over 25 years. Don't know why but the areas I'm frequenting around here are overrun with them this year.
Anyone ever used a pigmy rattler skin? Been seeing lots of them around the marshes this year.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
DON'T put any salt, borax or glycerin on a skin you plan to sell or trade. Us bow makers want them air dried, period. The don't stick very well to a bows limb if anything has been put on the skin.

I use a staple gun to tack them to a board and handle them like Shedrock does.

Copperheads don't need to be fleshed but big rattlers have a lot of meat that will need to be scraped off with a spoon.

After a few days of drying I cut the skin off the board, trim the belly scales off with a pair of scissors and store the skin in a zip lock bag.

If you don't have time to dry a skin you can roll it up, put it in a zip lock bag, fill the bag with water and throw it in the freezer. This bag has 4 huge timber rattlers in it that I haven't had a need to dry and use yet. They have been frozen for about 5 years.

Bowmakers seldom use one skin to cover a bows limbs preferring matches sets in most cases. A skin needs to have around 30" of usable material in it to make a good backing for bows. On bows with shorter limbs you can get by with 25" in some cases but that would be about the minimum.

Very big diamond back rattlers have too big a pattern to look right on a bow. Anything less than 50" would be OK.

Timber rattlers can be any size because they have three patterns on them. You can use matched pairs or split one skin down the middle and use the side patterns on each limb. I prefer to use one timber rattler skin split down the middle on bows. This is much better than wasting so much of two good skins to use the middle pattern.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
Very good info Eric.Sure am glad I haven't put my skin in glycerin or salted yet. Can you tell me the best adhesive to bond them to glass limbs.I have pretty much resolved to useing Tru-oil over them what's your opinion? Thanks

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
You guys are NUTS!!

I'm scared to walk in the woods anyway because of snakes, I couldn't imagine having 'em all around my house or seeing them every time I walked outside.

Nalajr

Offline Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
I have done the tacking and dry method you guys talk about but I also once read about laying out paper towels put alcohol on them then rolling up the skin in it. then putting them in the freezer keeps them fresh without them freezing to them selfs or getting freezer burt. also when you ship them you can ship with ice packs and who ever you send them to gets fresh skins that they can take care of how they like. has anyone ever done this? or heard of this?
Gary Gentry
Cari-bow Wolverine T/D 62@28

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Please do not put anything on them. No glycern , no alcohol ,no salt, No borax, nothing. Just tack them up and dry and roll them. What Eric said is true. No one wants to build a nice bow and put a skin on it just to have it peel off. Just a good flat dry skin is great. clean off any meat with an old table spoon carefully. let her dry and you can cut off the areas in a straight line that you had the tacks on. Cut it off of the board. roll up and put in a zip lock. I like about 36 in or so skins the best.

God bless you all, Merry Christmas, Steve

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Eric,
Thanks for the info on Diamondbacks. I'll keep looking, but so far this year I haven't seen any small enough to work. (Nothing 50" or less)
Don't know if that is a good thing or not.

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Well after contacting someonen I know from the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife my idea has come to a screaching halt.  It seems here in Kentucky you cannot buy or sell any wildlife parts unless you are a licensed taxidermist which I am not, with the exception of furs.  So I guess I will have to settle for a couple of nice copperheads for my next bow.  I'm still going to try and build a trap and see what happens, if I catch enough of them to justify getting a license I'll look into it then.

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eric Krewson:
DON'T put any salt, borax or glycerin on a skin you plan to sell or trade. Us bow makers want them air dried, period. The don't stick very well to a bows limb if anything has been put on the skin.
That's good to know Eric. I cured out 5 Copperheads and three Canebrakes this summer but used the glycerin solution. I would have felt bad had I traded them to someone to put on a bow. I had planned on putting them on some self bows I have made and am making. Looks like you saved me a lot of aggravation. Thanks!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
May be against the law to sell them but but I suspect you could trade them for just about anything you need.

I have hundreds and hundreds of wild turkey feathers. I trade them for all my archery needs and anything else I need for the outdoors.

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eric Krewson:
May be against the law to sell them but but I suspect you could trade them for just about anything you need.

I have hundreds and hundreds of wild turkey feathers. I trade them for all my archery needs and anything else I need for the outdoors.
I thought the same thing as well but the guy I talked to said it was illegal to trade or barter as well as buy and sell.  But I guess a fella could "give" them away at the same time another fella "gave" them something.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Can you install them on other peoples limbs and charge them a price for the installation. Not for the skins. You advertise for installing them. Not for the skins. I think here in Pa I can sell turkey feathers as long as it is just for the grinding and cutting of them. Not just for the feathers. Just a thought.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Interesting you just clean and dry those skins- they don't rot after drying untreated?

Curious as to what glue also....

And what does a guy do if he needs to remove these?
[I probably should have searched this]
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
Most folks glue on skins with titebond 3 wood glue and use truoil over them. I do use poly sometimes or spar urethane. Also have use a massey finish with good results

You can get a taxidermy license in most states for around 25.00 or so. I have mine because once in a while I do fan mounts of turkeys for guys. The laws are pretty much the same here. You might want to check to make sure some species aren't protected. I know Timber rattlers are protected in 17 states. They are here I know and I think maybe in KY.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©