3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground hunting again!!  (Read 520 times)

Offline Fletch2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting again!!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
Im gravitating to the ground more and more.The fall isnt as far.

Offline Ronyag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
I switched to the ground and found an advantage. When the wind switches, as it always does in the river bottom I hunt, I move to ensure I am positioned down wind from the trails. I found it frustrating setting in a tree and the wind switching blowing my hunt lanes. I also like to have a thicket next to me or behind me for background cover. I will move two or three times a day with wind and thermal changes. It also seems like my scent does not travel as far on the ground as up in a tree.
RG

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ronyag:
I switched to the ground and found an advantage. When the wind switches, as it always does in the river bottom I hunt, I move to ensure I am positioned down wind from the trails. I found it frustrating setting in a tree and the wind switching blowing my hunt lanes. I also like to have a thicket next to me or behind me for background cover. I will move two or three times a day with wind and thermal changes. It also seems like my scent does not travel as far on the ground as up in a tree.
Has that tactic increased your number of encounters?

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I have only taken one animal from a tree in 25 years of hunting.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
I haven't hunted much this year just started a few weeks ago.I've been hunting out of my tree seat at locations I see deer moving,mostly transition areas.I set up in the woods at an edge where I have observed deer moving along the edge of open pasture etc.Yesterday I climbed into one of the tree stands I had set up before the season started.As I sat the stand I started thinking that these stand locations give me very little opportunities.Sitting a stand I limit myself to 25 yards and optimistically 240 degrees of shooting area.When I erected these stands the deer trails were well used and easily visible.I realized that after a couple months or so of hunting,bow and now gun hunting, the deer that used these trails have changed their behavior from hunting pressure and are using different trails or traveling at different times.I know I could move the stands but hunting from my tree seat gives me the ability to hunt different locations each day.I got to thinking about all the hassle that goes with stand hunting.climbing ladders or steps often in bulky clothing,securing yourself with a harness etc.If you enjoy stand hunting go for it I just feel it's time for a change for me.Hunting from my tree seat is a snap.Setup with wind in your face ,clip a few small limbs for a few good shooting lanes clear the brush and leaves beneath the seat so I can stand silently.If the wind changes I can always rotate the seat around the base of the tree.The big plus is if I doze off I probably won't break anything on my 18" fall. I find that ground hunting from my seat gives me an opportunity to hunt on the fly.If I spot deer I can move to an ambush spot.  As I get older hunting from the ground has more appeal.I think I'll spend the future trying to get good at it.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by hawk22:
Once it gets pretty cold and snowy I move down to the ground.  I just feel more comfortable on the ground when I'm wearing all the cold weather clothes.
X2
I hunt treestands early when it is warmer and the trees still wear their leaves but in the late season I think the ground works better as there is not enough cover in a tree to keep from getting busted.  I bought a ghostblind and really like it but haven't killed anything from it yet.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
mickeys4 said    "As I get older hunting from the ground has more appeal.I think I'll spend the future trying to get good at it."

Thats my thoughts too! As I age the pure work involved of putting in and then getting in and out of treestands and then moving them as conditions change compared to the safety and simplicty of ground hunting makes it a no brainer for me. I love to ground hunt. Besides, what a thrill to have a deer at ground level at distances sometimes measured in feet!!

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I hate tree stands, for a multitude of reasons. I like to have the option of moving.

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
I'm a groundhog myself. It's ALL about the limits.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
I only hunted from a treestand once.  It was a windy day and I kept wondering how in the heck I was supposed to hit any deer that wasn't also swaying all over the place.

Anyway - hunting them at eye-level is fun.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
The only time I am not on the ground is when our rifle season opens. I get up in a tree just for safety sake.

The rest of the time I am sitting on this.....

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I vary.  Probably average about half and half when I'm seriously hunting.  Now, if you count all my ambling about in the woods with a bow in my hand, then it's probably 90% ground, but I don't call most of that "hunting".  In Infantry speak, that would rougly equate to "patrolling" vs "ambush".  Big difference.
Silence is golden.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
I like hunting from the ground because I like to travel "light" when I go into the woods. In addition to my bow I carry a Cat II quiver and a folding stool to sit on or a Toorges tree seat.

If I feel like bringing some small game arrows I can easily carry a basket quiver with several arrows for that. I feel more burdened with a climbing stand strapped to my back and it's harder and more noisey to change spots with my Loggy climber. I like the mobility of being on the ground for when the winds changes and is wrong for the spot I'm in or if I see deer moving in an area that is too far out of range and finally if I decide to put a stalk on an animal too when the conditions are right.

Besides getting eyeball to eyeball to deer is such a rush. This season I got busted by a doe while drawing on her from only 8 feet away from where I was sitting.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I am about 75% on the ground and 25% in the tree. Used to hunt tree stands all the time, but have been liking the ground.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
I started on the ground this year and it didnt last long. I like the advantage of seeing more from above.

Not ruling the ground out, just need to get used to it.

With this late season, I may start ground hunt'n

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I like the thrill and the romance of ground hunting but I feel naked on the ground.  I keep thinking, "How the heck am I ever going to get my bow drawn without being seen?".  Love the thought, just feel absolutely deadly from a tree.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I like treestands, but that messes me up. Because when I am ground hunting, I keep looking at places thinking that would be a good spot for a tree stand, and that ruins my concentration. Eventually I would like to be ground only, and enjoy the freedom of hunting where I feel like it for that day. Success wise, it's probably been 50/50 over the years ground/tree.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I like treestands, but that messes me up. Because when I am ground hunting, I keep looking at places thinking that would be a good spot for a tree stand, and that ruins my concentration. Eventually I would like to be ground only, and enjoy the freedom of hunting where I feel like it for that day. Success wise, it's probably been 50/50 over the years ground/tree.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
I too have been hunting more on the ground,spent 57 hrs. bowhunting this year,and only was in a tree once. I really like ground hunting, I feel more camoed on the ground level,plus I love the mobility factor I don't have to ever hunt the same spot twice.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
I like being on the ground. It's more challenging and since I hunt alone a lot it eliminates a big risk. Being able to move quietly when conditions change is a plus. I still have a climber but rarely use it. I have had about even success between tree stands and ground hunting.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©