3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sights  (Read 673 times)

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Sights
« on: November 06, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
O.K. I know i`m gonna get a beating for this question.   :knothead:        Since i`ve been shooting trad bow style for about 5 years now and still miss, I gotta ask about sights. If for no other reason in a hunting situation. I`ve been checking out a few sights that are used on recurves. I shoot a reflex/deflex and see no reason why sights wouldn`t work on these bows too. So, who uses sights ?  Also, I don`t understand how they work on a trad bow using a cant. I used to shoot compound bows but you held the bow pretty much straight up and down. So can anyone explain how sights work on a trad bow ?

Burch

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sights
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Many years ago I "thought" I needed a bow sight after losing one of my eyes to compensate for a lack of depth perception. I used both pins and pendulum types and had good success with both, but as you noted you will need to shoot the bow vertically. I later discovered I really did not need them at all and went back to a bare bow. It has been so long since I even looked at a bow sight I don't know what's out there to try.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
I don't use them but you will have to hold the bow straight up and down vertically. What about gapping or string walking?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Far as I can tell, sights is sights.  You need to have the bow straight up and down or everything changes.  

Maybe if you have one pin, you can use that for , say, fifteen yards and learn how to hold around that.  With a single pin, you can set it for almost any angle of cant  BUT  you have to maintain that angle every shot.  Tough enough to do with holding the bow up and down.
ChuckC

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
I`ve also heard of using a rubber band on the top limb or placing a mark on the top limb. I just can`t seem to grasp how all this works.  Can anyone explain these sighting systems ?

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by burch:
 So can anyone explain how sights work on a trad bow ?

\\
Exactly the same as on a compound bow or fully worked Oly rig .

I have a few recurves that are fitted with sights [ hunting pins ] , and grew up using them , and it was quite normal back then . We even had our , very popular competition division for 5 pin hunting sights ...

But i'd no more put a sight on my longbow tha fly !!!   :scared:    :scared:    :scared:  

But if you think it would help , more power to you ... its your bow , your shot and your hunt ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Nothing at all wrong with using a sight.  Rusty tells me that back when he was young most folks shot sights on there curves.  Only the weird few shot barebow.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
:campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
No beating here.

My boys shoot their longbows barebow, but early on I helped them learn how to aim somewhat by putting a pencil mark on the riser a couple inches above the arrow for them to use as a guide when shooting.  "Put the target right next to that mark," is what I would tell them.  Of course, they needed to hold their bow vertically for it to work.  We've also taped matchsticks onto the riser to use as a sight pin at times.

I shoot a longbow barebow and hold the bow in a canted position, but I shoot my recurve with a few simple sight pins and hold the bow vertically.

If shooting with sights makes you a more accurate shooter then go for it.  Forget all the nonsense that "sights aren't traditional" and just have fun and use what works for you.  :archer:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I`ve really tried hard to learn to shoot trad bows. One of my main problems is keeping the same cant. I have no problem sighting down the arrow for elevation but my windage stinks.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
In the early 70's alot of people had sights on their bows when I started shooting. We didn't call it trad then cause there weren't any compounds! If that's how you perfer to shoot it is up to you, not how someone else feels about it.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
The SPF sights by three river for their DALA bows are widely adaptable.  They are hoop sights and really just a focusing mechanism.  I've used the small version a couple times when I got down on my confidence and it helped to focus on my form and give me a tighter sight window.  You can use them with a cant if you practice that way.  You'll be amazed how tight the groups are when you take it off and try bare-bow again.

Don't listen to anyone that gives you a hard time about a sight on a trad bow.  If sights give you the confidence to make an ethical shot, then use them.  In the end, each of us has make the choice that works for us.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
There are lots of known tricks or techniques used to shoot better.  Every time you add an aiming aid it COULD increase your accuracy.  You still have to do the rest.  

Read some of the older books on shooting.  I am guessing that almost every single time you start adding a sighting method you are gonna need to hold your bow upright. . . and that's OK.

Something as simple as aligning the string with the arrow shaft (you need to anchor in the right spot to do this) can help you with some windage problems.  Put in the effort.  read some older books.  Try out different techniques and see if any help you.
ChuckC

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Getting the elevation right is harder than getting the correct windage. Make sure your anchor point allows the arrow to be directly under your eye. Post a video of yourself shooting and post it in the Shooter's forum. I'll bet you can get that windage problem sorted out pretty quickly.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
After reading this thread I think I will go ahead and put some sights on my Black Widow. I know that sights are nothing new on recurve bows and the first Bear bow I hunted with back in the late 1970s had sights on it and I used them. I have shot barebow for 15 or 20 years and frankly could never really get the hang of it. I've killed a few deer and missed a ton more. I can't throw a rock or a baseball worth a darn either LOL. I believe that the God-given hand-eye coordination that some people have is exactly that, God-given. Some have it, some don't. Ya'll don't hate me. I'm not giving up on traditional archery. I just need to find a way to hit my target consistently. I plan on keeping my old Bear bows bare-bows if you will and shooting them that way. Maybe I could find some old vintage sights and install them on one of those old bows? That would be kinda neat.

Ross
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
x2 on trying gap shooting.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
I actually do gap shoot past 15 yards or so. I really enjoy shooting my old Bear bows and POC arrows instinctive and will continue to do it this way. My main problem is that first, one and only arrow that has to find it's target. This is where I think the sights will help. I'm going to give it a chance anyway. Been shooting this afternoon with a matchstick taped to my bow and have been pleased with the results. Oh well, I'll see how it goes.

Ross
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I say shoot the way you want, back in the early 70's many people shot with sights.

My question would be is at 15-20 yds. what is happening when you shoot without sights ?

Burch says his windage is bad, if so, why ?, there is a reason for it at short distances. I could understand that you take a 35-50 yd. shot and are wide left or right but not at 15-20 yds.

I have friends that should shoot very well yet they don't, but it's for a reason that can be corrected. have you guys tried getting some lessons ? or take a video of yourselves shooting and post it up here, I am sure the Trad family could help you out.

Again, do whatever you want to do, I just feel that it might be at your finger tips and for some reason it's escaping you.

Good luck whatever you do.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I shoot bare-bow pretty well most of the time but as I said my consistancy has always been lacking. I've always thought that this could be caused by my left/bow arm being crooked. I shattered my left elbow when I was 6 years old. I have full range of motion, played football and served in the Army for 9 years so I have no true disability. My arm is just a bit crooked which makes it hard for me to truely line up my arm, arrow, anchor, etc.
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
No beating, but it's hardly traditional shooting once you put on sights. If your going to use sights you may as well grab a compound and put the sights on. Nothing wrong with a wheelie bow. I don't like them personally but I got nothing against guys who shoot them. I just figure what's the point of sights on a trad bow.............no longer a trad bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©