3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cliff zwickey  (Read 242 times)

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
cliff zwickey
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
has anyone tried these heads what did ya think thanks ED

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cliff zwickey
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
They look wicked but can't use them here in NY, they would be considered barbed.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Ed,
  I have a few that are going under the tree next week..I haven't opened them yet and our Law book doesn't say we can't use them...I checked my book and all it say's is it must be a metal head 7/8th's wide and non poisoined...Nothing about being barbed...I went searching all over the Maryland websites and the D.N.R....So they are legal from what I can find...  :rolleyes:

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
I haven' tried these particular ones, but many years ago I did use some trade points with the same basic shape. I shot several deer with them using hickory self bows in the 60-70 @ 30" range. I mostly got complete penetration. On one big doe, I shot her quartering away. The point stuck in her offside shoulder and stayed in. When I went to dress her, I couldn't pull the arrow out and had to clean her with the head still inside her. I changed the profile after that.

I also figured that on a bad hit, the odds of the arrow coming out on it's own was drastically reduced with that profile.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Illegal in Oregon. I cannot figure out why Zwickey did not do more research on the legality of barbed heads.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
My guess is these were made as much as an attention getter as anything else. All the collectors will want a few and Zwickey knows where they are legal and not. The 'Barbed Zwickey' of yester year is legendary among collectors.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I am guessing they were made as a blast from the past.  Several states have apparently dropped their rule about barbed heads, including, Wisconsin.  I know they were not legal before,  I teach hunters ed and we taught that.  But I sure don't see it stated in the newest version.  

I bought some for my collection and they really do make it,  as the late Lamont Grainger(footed shaft)stated. . .  Now THAT'S what a hunting arrow should look like.  Pretty neat.

Zwickey products have been good for longer than I have been on this earth, I expect no different from these.

ChuckC

Offline MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Those that live in states which barbed is illegal for big game may be able to use on predators  or small game if they still would like to try the head

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Classic shape, I gotta get some!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
From Indiana DNR 2012:

"Arrows must betipped with broadheads that are metal, metal-edged, or napped flint, chert or obsidian.Poisoned or exploding arrows are illegal."

Shocked me because I thought they were illegal but they are fine here, I know alot of Western states like Idaho won't be legal there:

"With arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angleless than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule."  This is along with expandables being illegal there too.  

They are really cool looking and I've got some but check your state regs before you take them into the woods.   dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
They look like they would make a mean coyote head!  Don't think they could be used in NY for any game, though.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Can't be used in NY period. Too bad but they do look cool. A while back Hoyt made a barbed 4 blade head. The Chuck-it. From what I was told this head was the reason barbed heads were prohibited in NY. The DEC felt that an animal would suffer more.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
I searched all through MDC's web pages and the only reference I found on broadheads was one stating: "A broadhead design that inhibits full penetration generates more impact and kills a turkey more quickly."

Merry Christmas and God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
seems like they'd be a pain to pull from a target.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
I believe a lot of states dropped the barbed head restriction because so many compound shooters use mechanical heads. When open, they're barbed.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I think IL dropped the restriction. Hap

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Butch Speer:
I believe a lot of states dropped the barbed head restriction because so many compound shooters use mechanical heads. When open, they're barbed.
That is what my thoughts were.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©