3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bunny busting  (Read 183 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Bunny busting
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
Cold at 19 degrees this morn.  Went to my nearest ranch to await the sun. The Truckee River was lazily rolling past, the Angus were stirring and I was there with a man from Pakistan.  He asked me if he could go hunt rabbits one day, so he was bundled up against the cold, but willing to stalk the wild rose thickets.  We found a willing target and I misssed.  This occurred about 20 times.  All from 10 to 40 yds were missed!  Then it dawned on me, I was drawing, anchoring and just before letting it slip, I looked at the point, not the bunny.  I corrected and took two of the next three. I have a self-imposed limit of 2 per day, so we hiked back.  This man got to see ducks, rabbits, quail, coyotes, wild mustangs and bunnies.  He was amazed at how they skinned like pulling off socks.  He took them home to cook with a recipe used for other meat in his tradition  He got to see America and experience a hunt.  He wants to buy a bow and will go to the next hunter safety course.  I can not wait to hear him talk on Monday to owr coworkers
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bunny busting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roadkill:
Cold at 19 degrees this morn.  Went to my nearest ranch to await the sun. The Truckee River was lazily rolling past, the Angus were stirring and I was there with a man from Pakistan.  He asked me if he could go hunt rabbits one day, so he was bundled up against the cold, but willing to stalk the wild rose thickets.  We found a willing target and I misssed.  This occurred about 20 times.  All from 10 to 40 yds were missed!  Then it dawned on me, I was drawing, anchoring and just before letting it slip, I looked at the point, not the bunny.  I corrected and took two of the next three. I have a self-imposed limit of 2 per day, so we hiked back.  This man got to see ducks, rabbits, quail, coyotes, wild mustangs and bunnies.  He was amazed at how they skinned like pulling off socks.  He took them home to cook with a recipe used for other meat in his tradition  He got to see America and experience a hunt.  He wants to buy a bow and will go to the next hunter safety course.  I can not wait to hear him talk on Monday to owr coworkers
Nice story. I'm planning to hunt bunnies this winter, too. Can you point me to a book, website that explains how to skin and field dress bunnies?
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I have a pair of game shears in my truck to cut off the head and front feet.  Use rubber gloves.  Have someone hold the back legs.  Just tug on the fur next to the rear foot-it will peel easily.  Peel carefully around the tail and anus.  Then just pull gently.  It peels like a sock.
Carefully slice thru pelvic bone to get the anus, run your knife carefully full length from that point to the neck and shake out the guts.  Carefully remove diaphragm heart and Lungs
Snipe off rear feet and you are done. Takes longer to write than to do it
Inspect liver and wear those gloves.  Warm up your Dutch oven
Gs.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Sounds like you made a great introduction to hunting and bowhunting for this man, nice work.
Lucas Kent

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Grab them by the rear feet.reach down and break front legs above feet. Starting just above the rear foot, start pulling the skin off towards the head. If the rabbit is warm it should come off real easy.when you get down to the front feet and head, remove from body with knife. Grab rabbit by body and break rear legs just above foot and cut them off. Then hold the rabbit with belly facing you. Cut open from pelvis to throat and remove inners. Then rinse of remaining hair and inners and your done. Simple as that!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
And great job roadkill on introducing someone new to the sport!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Offline Furseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
I also went looking for a few bunnies for the oven yesterday. My son told me he had seen a few while he and his dog were jump shooting ducks of the river. So yesterday afternoon I had an hour or two to myself so I grabbed my gear and hit the river banks. With just a thin skiff of snow and that much was just in a few places it made finding tracks difficult. The hunting was slow as I didn’t see any bunnies but it was a nice walk along the river. I did come across pile of large rocks and asphalt chunks that had what could have been some rabbit tracks around them, while looking the area over I caught some movement about 20 yards ahead in the thick brush, I slowly moved that way with fingers tight on the string ready for a shot at any moment.  Just as I was zeroing in on the spot a large red fox jumped up and moved forward. He was unaware of what he saw so he kept leaping high in the air to get a better view over the tall weeds. He did this 4 or 5 times before slowly moving off. I love being in the woods and seeing stuff like that.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Keep the good work up Skip.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©