3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Assault Climber?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf Assault Climber?
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »
Anyone here own and use the new Lone Wolf Assault climber? If so, what do you think? Is the weight of 14.7# accurate?

I owned a Lone Wolf hand climber a few years ago and hated it...but to be honest, I never really gave it a fair shake, just here in the yard a couple of times. Sold it and bought a Lone Wolf Assault loc on and haven't used any thing else since. I love the loc on, but this flat packing 14.7# claim Assault climber has caught my interest.

Thanks in advance for any info and feedback on this climber.

Mike

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Assault Climber?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Hey Mike,

I looked hard at the assault climber for a while, but went with the hand climber II recently.  There just wasn't enough room for me on the assault platform, "unless" the seat was positioned folded against the tree.  And the seat doesn't do that without some fair effort.

I love my assault hang on, it's one of the best pieces of hunting equip I own, but obviously the hang on model's seat folds "easily" out of the way when standing.  And that makes it easier to function on the small platform.

My 2 cents
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
I've been using the regular hand climber for years.  I really like it, mainly for the waffle platform, much easier on the feet when standing that a platform with rails or mesh.

Personally I would never give up the platform size to save a couple pounds.  Even the normal size platform feels small to me, especially with heavy boots.  If you are used to the small  platform I would imagine you would like the Assault climber.  I'll stick with the full size platform, but either way LW makes a great stand.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Morning Star:
Hey Mike,

I looked hard at the assault climber for a while, but went with the hand climber II recently.   There just wasn't enough room for me on the assault platform, "unless" the seat was positioned folded against the tree.  And the seat doesn't do that without some fair effort.  There just wasn't enough room for me on the assault platform, "unless" the seat was positioned folded against the tree.  And the seat doesn't do that without some fair effort.

I love my assault hang on, it's one of the best pieces of hunting equip I own, but obviously the hang on model's seat folds "easily" out of the way when standing.  And that makes it easier to function on the small platform.

My 2 cents
Seat folds up just fine on the hand climber.  If you use a bungie like this it is flat against the tree and quiet getting there or back.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
But it only fold up like that “if” you don’t use the straps that keep the platform and seat connected. I wish there was a way to fold the seat and keep the straps connected.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
I've never used the straps, never really seen the point.  I have a rope between the seat and platform for safety, but like you said all the straps do is get in the way.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I think the regular sit and climb is plenty big and if i was in the market for a new climber I'd probably get the assault. I have the assault hang on and never really fold the seat.

I like the stabilizer straps on the climber. They really lock the 2 together for a solid platform. So solid that I have no problem standing on the seat to shoot if I need to shoot over something. With a short longbow I have never had the seat get in the way of a shot

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I bought the assault climber this year when I sold my compound to go trad only.  I had used the alpha sit and climb for years, but the assault has so much more going for it for the trad hunter---nothing to get in the way when shooting.  It packs way faster and easier than the sit and climb.  I made a seat strap (to sit and climb with it) but quickly took it off as it is very easy for me to climb using my arms.  I padded the far right front pocket on the base and simply put the limb of my bow in the pocket until I need it.  I also added a small camo pouch (wallyworld $5.00) and a folding saw strapped beneath the seat--my  system for keeping gear ready and organized.  This is my first year shooting traditional equipment---I've taken 3 Ohio deer with my Dan Toelke R/D Whip so far---2 out of this stand.  True the platform is not large, but I tend to sit most of the time and limit wandering when on my feet.  I sold my sit and climb and won't ever look back.  The Assault is a Great stand!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
John,

How much of the platform do you lose with the assault compared to the sit and climb?  It appears to be about 3”.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
I had the hand climber and sold it shortly after getting it as I found it a pain to climb with it. I got it for just shipping from my brother (long story!). After that I started seeing posts of ways guys were finding easier ways to climb in them, like using straps to sit on, ect. So I may give them another try next year. Just sucks that I had one for free and will now have to pay full price for one!   :(
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
I've been using my Lone Wolf hand climber combo for about 12 years now and just love that stand.  I dont strap the seat to the platform and have never had a problem with the platform slipping down.  I like the idea of usuing that bunjie cord to fold the seat up. I ordered the Assault climber just last week.  According to the stats I read you give up 4 inches on the platform and lose about 3 lbs of weight.  I shoot a trad bow and shoot sitting so the 4 inches won't bother me but the loss of 3 pounds is a big plus since I usually pack in pretty far when I hunt.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  You do lose a few inches on the base.  I notice my feet sticking over the edge depending on the angle I'm in the tree at.  It has not posed a problem for me--I really like the light weight and portability and much less to get in the way of long bow limbs than with the sit and climb.  Good luck.  John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Thanks,  I have an older Assault hang on and when I lay it on top of my climber platform it appears it’s only 2” shorter, can that be right?  Or is the newer model designed difference?

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking hard at them. May have to give one a try before next season.

Mike

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
But it only fold up like that “if” you don’t use the straps that keep the platform and seat connected. I wish there was a way to fold the seat and keep the straps connected.
I fold it up with my straps slack but connected and have zero issues.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
I had the sit and climb and ended up getting rid of it.  I found the alpha hang on and sticks to allow a wider shooting range around the tree than the climber did, plus I was less limited in my tree choice.

I try not to limit the size of the platform itself too much, then its hard to turn and move around in the stand.  But, the hand climber models do offer more shooting range than the sit and climb did.

The advantage of a climber is a little faster set up in most cases, especially in areas with straight up and down trees.
>>>--------->

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
Bumping this up to see if there's more opinions on this stand.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2016, 12:20:00 AM »
I have the hand climber It climbs great, grips the tree very well, light weight and silent. There are a few things I dont like I wear size 12 boots and if I wear my thick insulated boots my feet barely fit under foot bar making it harder to climb, and compared to my summit stands I can climb easier and faster with those because of the foot stirups. But lonewolf is more compact on your back.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 06:55:00 AM »
LW hand climber is one of the smartest purchases I've made.  Would not even consider hauling a sit n climb.  Make sure you guys know the difference.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline marsh chicken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
I have a Assault Hand climber Combo from Lone Wolf in the box for sale. After trying out a Treewalker  I did not want to try anything else.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©