3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Assault Climber?  (Read 431 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Assault Climber?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
I am just getting ready to order one! Give me a week I will let you know!

I had an older LW climber and loved it - figure this one will be as easy to set up and at least a pound or so lighter.

Lastly we have all kinds a options for trees to climb being pines everywhere so a climber is fairly versatile. I used to use rope steps and a old loc on tree stand but getting older the monkey in me ain't so good no more ---
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 10:46:00 AM »
i was a Summit guy all the way for years. finally bought a LW hand climber last year, and i love it. hand climbers are, by their nature, a little harder to climb with. but, what you gain is a completely unobstructed shot range. that is invaluable to a trad hunter. i went with the Combo II over the Assault because of the platform room. i just don't see how losing a few pounds could outweigh losing several inches of foot room (but i'm not a small guy, so…)
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
I would compare the LW with the XOP hand climber.  I have the strike force and absolutely love it.  Same product, better price.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
I've had and have a lot of various lockons and climbers over many years. But never tried a LW climber for some reason...just found a nice used Assault climber, it's on the way to me now.

Is the listed weight of 14.5# pretty accurate? I sure hope so!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
Have one of the very first lone wolf hand climbers built by the inventor of the stand, been using it forever and it still works as good as the day I ordered it. Bought the assault this year and so far I love it, gave my other to my son. Just got back from a very physical hunt on public land in Ky and it performed great and packing was no problem at all, going to Ohio in Nov to climb those hills and it is the stand I am taking.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Love my Lone Wolf Hand climber.  Grips the tree well, very quiet, very stable.

I actually see ALOT of guys who get one and don't learn how to use it properly.  I've seen a few guys who have had theirs for years and still don't know how to climb with it properly.  

ALOT of owners still thing the straight oval bar is what you put your feed under to climb....when it's the side bars that you actually use.  Stick your feet through the opening created by the side bar and the small slider brackets, cock your toes inward and heels outward and you get one heck of a bite into the platform with absolute control.  I can easily maneuver the traction belt over small knots and broken off branches using the lonewolf...something I was never able to do easily with my summit.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
The LW hand climber is the same length and width as the Assault.  The Assault just thins down toward where it hits the tree.  I've used the standard hand climber for years.  Not a better stand out there, IMO.  I have also used a strap attached to the seat to use it as a sit and climb.  

The XOP is virtually the same stand.  It's manufactured by the sons of the fella who initially developed the Lone Wolf, who then sold it.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
Man I just got that used Assault hand climber combo I spoke of above...wow that thing is sweet!  Bought the sit/climb section from XOP for like $100 just to have both methods.

But after using both the last week, I much prefer the hand climber. I've always used small platforms so the Assault is no issue. And to answer my own question, mine packed up is at 15.58 lbs. With some good LW shoulder straps, easy peasy to carry. And it unpacks and goes on the tree so much faster than my Summit when stealth is needed.

I have a whole bunch of stands, but this Assault hand climber combo is really nice to carry and hunt from. 5 stars!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
Field Supply has the XOP hand climbers for $199 today for anyone looking.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
I use the hand climber top and a timbertall platform.  I would guess 12#s or so and while not as flat packing its way better than an Open Shot.  I like the larger platform too.

I still gun hunt with the timbertall top to have a front bar rest
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
I had a lone wolf climber a few years ago. The worst stand I have ever owned hands down. So sad that they cost so much and perform so badly. Noisy, hard to fold and unfold, unsafe as the straps do not grip tree. Just a bad stand. Don't buy one. Look at the API bowhunter

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »
Well I don't have the Assualt climber but I do have the hand climber model and absolutely love it.

Totally opposite opinion of crazynates.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by crazynate:
I had a lone wolf climber a few years ago. The worst stand I have ever owned hands down. So sad that they cost so much and perform so badly. Noisy, hard to fold and unfold, unsafe as the straps do not grip tree. Just a bad stand. Don't buy one. Look at the API bowhunter
You sure you were using a Lone Wolf?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Sounds like a API AD   :goldtooth:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I have a buddy who just got the XOP hand climber after hearing my raves on my lone wolf.

I can climb 25-30ft in a couple of minutes.  Climb down just as fast.  

My buddy now...he's a bit...Husky.  

He absolutely dislikes it.  He simply lacks the physical and athletic ability necessary to use it.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
There is a lot to like about the LW but I always had a car time getting it adjusted right compared to my Summit.  If LW was able ti use the cables it would be the best of both worlds.
T ZZZZ

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
So to update...this past wkd I used the stabilizer straps on the Assault hand climber combo. I tried these before on a Summit once but didn't care for it too much, with Third Hand metal clips had to be super careful not to make noise unpacking, setting up, etc. Then feeding those ends through the clips in dark, etc. Always striving to get off the ground as fast as possible and that wasn't helping.

But I much prefer these LW plastic clips, etc. Helps pack the system tight, and I'm continually impressed at how fast I can unpack and set the two sections up...with maximum quiet.

Always kinda anal about not putting anything on the ground. Sunday tried a youtube method I saw of walking up to tree, and mounting entire packed up stand on tree first using the bottom section band, then taking it apart at waist level. Much easier, no bending over, everything is controllable and goes fast. Tie haul up rope to bow and go. I never ever put backpack or fannypack or jackets on ground.

Once up, a quick pull to cinch up those stabilizer straps and done. Did I say how much I like this Assault combo?  LOL I swear its making me a better and more determined than ever bowhunter.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
I'd love to see that video Mark... link please... I'm much the same way... get up and off the ground ASAP...

Jonathan

PS Longtime Lonewolf user... don't have the Assault but the Alpha in both hang on and climber...  Be hard to convince me to try anything else at this point...
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
I never fold my lonewolf climber down for backpacking.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by twigflicker:
I'd love to see that video Mark... link please... I'm much the same way... get up and off the ground ASAP...

Jonathan

PS Longtime Lonewolf user... don't have the Assault but the Alpha in both hang on and climber...  Be hard to convince me to try anything else at this point...
Jonathan.. this gentleman gave me that idea. It's at the 8:00 mark towards the end. I just pull it off my back and attach to tree directly, then unpack etc.

I enjoyed watching the many vids on many techniques and mods from everyone. I try to keep it minimal myself. Like everyone, just pick what works for you.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©