3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need opinions and help on R/D longbows!  (Read 417 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Need opinions and help on R/D longbows!
« on: December 18, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
I've been back and forth on a recurve or a r/d longbow. I've decided on a longbow.  Not sure who all makes one so I'm gonna go with your input and try to narrow down a bowyer. I don't want to bash, I just need opinion's.

Thanks, Jason

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need opinions and help on R/D longbows!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Too many good ones to list. In a mild r/d longbow there's not many better than a Mohawk.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
There are a lot of very good bowyers out there, I would try and find one as local to me as possible, don't remember where Mohawk is made but it is a top of the line R/D LB. I would take into consideration location, wait time, and references from locals, price depends on what you want.

Good luck.

P.S. If you can make it to Kalamazoo the end of January, that is where you can tryout a lot of bows and pick the one you want first hand.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
You're gonna find at least one person here for each bowyer out there that makes R/D Longbows,

Let's face it, they are all probably "pretty good" or they'd be outta business.  That said, blow through the sponsor list, browse their sites, see if anything snags yur fancy, then search for threads about 'em.

Black Widows, Big Jims, Centars, 3 Rivers, Shrews, Black Creek, Caribow, Stalker, Dwyer, Holm Made, St joe River, etc, etc.  all make fine bows.  I've shot at least one bow from of all the above bowyers.  Im sure the ones I have not tried are fine bows too.

You're with in driving distance of kalamazoo.  Try and spend at least one day at the Trad Expo there in Jan.  Shoot most of those listed above at the expo and see for yourself which one(s) tickle your gizzard.  Drive up to 3 rivers and try the Tomahawks.  If you can wait till June and go to Cloverdale and shoot many more.

My favorite may not suit you worth a darn.  But  they are all good bows.

But, to answer your question directly...  my first R/D LB and probably still my favorite (and a great bang for the $) is a Big Jim Buffalo Bow.

Best of luck in the search of your bow.  Finding just the right one and the anticipation of your first shot with that baby is half the fun I get out of archery.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
I use a 62" 52@28 Kota Prairie Fire fairly aggressive R/D. While not the fastest bow around, it's the smoothest drawing, quietest one I've seen. Points good, fits the hand & pretty good looking too. I also have a 60" 53@28 Lost Creek Judge. More aggressive than the Kota & is a screamer. Not as quiet or smooth as  the kota but, it's a real shooter. If possible, I would shoot as many different bows as possible. Never thought I could find a bow that compared to the Lost Creek. Then I traded a Wapiti Custom for the Kota. You just never know what works till you try it.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I like my Stalker. You can get a lot of feedback and opinions on the current Hope and Faith thread.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Check out the Whip at montanabows.com

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
What weight bow are you looking for. I just traded away my 48# Lost Creek, but there's a 40# in the classifieds now that I would love to have if I weren't broke. That 48#er was a real hot rod and nearly as quiet as a lot of D type longbows.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
I know there will be lots of opinions, but that is what I'm looking for. I would love to go to K-zoo, but wont make it this year. I'm definitely going to Cloverdale. It takes alot for me to make up my mind, so I need all the help I can get.  :D
I don't mind to wait, that will give me time to pay for it   :thumbsup:  

Thanks Jason

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Bladepeek, I'm probably gonna stay in the mid 50's.

Jason

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
J.K. Traditions Kanati. Reasonably priced, fast, smooth drawing, NO handshock, good looking, and he's a sponsor here. What more could you want?

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
You have put yourself in a nice position, Jason and you will find many excellent bows in the deflex/reflex category.  Many of us really recommend starting with used bows until you figure out what you like and what works best for you.  There are some Kanati's in the classifieds right now and these are great examples of the more aggressive D/R bows; one of the best values in trad bows.

Within the mild D/R there are many great bows as well.  I'm partial to Great Northern, Robertson and Dwyer, but don't limit yourself; Northern Mist, Mohawk and many others are excellent.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bel007:
You're gonna find at least one person here for each bowyer out there that makes R/D Longbows,

Let's face it, they are all probably "pretty good" or they'd be outta business.  That said, blow through the sponsor list, browse their sites, see if anything snags yur fancy, then search for threads about 'em.

Black Widows, Big Jims, Centars, 3 Rivers, Shrews, Black Creek, Caribow, Stalker, Dwyer, Holm Made, St joe River, etc, etc.  all make fine bows.  I've shot at least one bow from of all the above bowyers.  Im sure the ones I have not tried are fine bows too.

You're with in driving distance of kalamazoo.  Try and spend at least one day at the Trad Expo there in Jan.  Shoot most of those listed above at the expo and see for yourself which one(s) tickle your gizzard.  Drive up to 3 rivers and try the Tomahawks.  If you can wait till June and go to Cloverdale and shoot many more.

My favorite may not suit you worth a darn.  But  they are all good bows.

But, to answer your question directly...  my first R/D LB and probably still my favorite (and a great bang for the $) is a Big Jim Buffalo Bow.

Best of luck in the search of your bow.  Finding just the right one and the anticipation of your first shot with that baby is half the fun I get out of archery.
X 2 My favorite though is a Tomahawk SS diamond series.
James Kerr

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Moab has my vote

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
I own and love a Don Dow stik. I would like to get another bow this year and have narrowed it to either a Two Tracks or a Mohawk.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
Getting somewhere you can shoot a few is a big help, but if you go used and its not a great fit, you can generally sell it for close to what you paid and try something else.

Rocky Mountain Specialy gear has a bunch to look at online and they are great folks.  Plenty of nice used customs and some very reasonably priced new bows as well.

Offline HugeBull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Ditto to Glunt, I live in TN and like dealing with RMS.

Also ditto on used.  I've bought and sold several and had good experience on both ends.  There are excellent bows FS on here and some fine folks to deal with.

Before you buy, if you are new to trad, I recommend you shoot a few bows and consider starting out lighter than you think you can handle.  Being overbowed can lead to a mess of bad habits that are can become very difficult to fix.  It is much easier to move up in weight over time.  Besides, Howard Hill claimed you could kill anything in NA, except maybe polar bears, with a 45# bow.  I am sure that the average bow today is also more efficient than in his day, so 45# outta do all he said and more.  I'm shooting about 51 at my draw length and am considering dropping back to 40 to 45 to help fix some of my bad habits and learn a new style.  JMHO  - Hugh

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
J.K. Traditions Kanati. Reasonably priced, fast, smooth drawing, NO handshock, good looking, and he's a sponsor here. What more could you want?

Kanati @ 25 yards:

Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bassfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
I am really enjoying my Don Dow stik.  60" 47# at 28".  Shoots great and is very quiet.  Can't beat the price either.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
I realy like abbott longbows. Very sweet and great shooters but there is alot of good bows on this site.Have fun trying to make a choice,
>>>------John------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©